New Watch Purchase

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
alabamalawyer

New Watch Purchase

Post by alabamalawyer »

I am looking to buy a nice, but not super nice (read "very expensive") watch. I would like one in chrome/silver color with a pretty basic dial face. I also don't want a large, bulky watch. I would like to keep price under $200.00.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Chris
Austin
Don't mess with Texas!

Post by Austin »

Hi Chris, are you looking for a sports watch, dress watch, etc. This information may help us give you suggestions.
alabamalawyer

Post by alabamalawyer »

I am looking for a dress watch. I wear a suit or slacks with blazers to work and would like a watch suitable for that.

Thanks
Chris
Teuton

Post by Teuton »

In that price range the best, IMO, are Sekio's mechanicals.
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

Seiko "5" automatics come in a huge variety of styles and are within your price range, especially if you can find a bargain on one, which is not uncommon. I am not a rich man, and I have two. :D Mine were each under $100 on sale, but they were not the fanciest-looking ones.
Austin
Don't mess with Texas!

Post by Austin »

Here's a nice Hamilton in your price range.

http://www.overstock.com/Jewelry-Watche ... oduct.html
DaveInPhilly

Post by DaveInPhilly »

I second Hamilton. I'll also suggest Tissot if you want something more sporty.

Now, if you add another zero in there, then we could really talk :twisted: .
alabamalawyer

Post by alabamalawyer »

Thanks for the replies. I don't think I want to add another "0" but if there is a signficant advantage in a $500 watch vs a $200 watch then by all means let me know and what brands to look for.

Chris
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Chris: I suggest you go to Timezone.com and read up. Also, in the Sales Corner, there are amazing deals on watches. I got a JLC from a guy in Canada where he paid over $3600.00 new for a watch (and he even got a discount) and I bought it from him for $1000 less 8 months after he got it, and it looked brand new. The advantage is that your world of resources is open up and you would be able to get a better price, or buy a watch that formerly was out of your price range. I had not considered another watch, but I bought a second watch off TZ and it likewise looked great, just great, and I saved over 30% and to be honest, I dont know that anyone at TZ has it other than me (the Sunburst dial in black). Think of it like our forum. How many people would otherwise know of the Merkur or the Feather razors? Also, think of someone selling their Feather straight 3 weeks after getting it and you get basically a new razor for 20% off, after that person even found it on a great price somewhere!!!

Sam
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

alabamalawyer wrote:Thanks for the replies. I don't think I want to add another "0" but if there is a signficant advantage in a $500 watch vs a $200 watch then by all means let me know and what brands to look for.
My own opinion only: if you want a watch with the time and date, and not one with a raft of other features, there's not much reason to spend between $300 and $700. The desirable "high-end" watches are all over $1000 as far as I know, and you can get a good-quality watch for $200. That grey area in between is not the place to be, in my opinion; unless you're knowledgeable about what to look for in used watches and so on. I don't want a watch that isn't all that special and still cost me a lot of money. YMMV.
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

notthesharpest wrote:]My own opinion only: if you want a watch with the time and date, and not one with a raft of other features, there's not much reason to spend between $300 and $700. The desirable "high-end" watches are all over $1000 as far as I know, and you can get a good-quality watch for $200. That grey area in between is not the place to be, in my opinion; unless you're knowledgeable about what to look for in used watches and so on. I don't want a watch that isn't all that special and still cost me a lot of money. YMMV.
I dont disagree. My JLC has a date only. It runs accurate to about 2 seconds fast every 3 days, as best as I can determine. A bit on the thinner side for an automatic. Yet it is stainless steel.

For less than $1000, you will get the same features and reliability as at the $200 price, so the $300 to $700 range commented on in the quote, to me, is good. Now around $1500, you can step up to a Nomos, which is a resurrected German watch company that is in Glashutte (the area in Germany that is like the Valle Joux area in Switzerland where most of the best Swiss watch companies are located). You may or may not care to have a totally 'in-house" produced watch. Some watches buy their base movement from ETA, and nothing is wrong with that. It has proven to be a workhorse of a movement, very reliable, and easy to fix. Some companies just buy the movement and make everything else, some buy the movement here, the case there, and the bracelet there, and are nothing more than a reassembler. Some, like NOMOS and JLC, are doing everything in house. You may want a watch that is not as recognizable as a Seiko, though Seiko makes a great watch at an unbelievable price point.

Over $1000, you start getting into watches that are not as mass-produced, and may have some features internally that are not as apparent. I am thinking of applied numerals to the dial rather than printed numbers. Water resistance gets to be a feature. Better clasps and deployant clasps on leather bands, and crocodile bands rather than leather. Better materials. Think of it like shoes. Sure you can get a captoe balmoral from Payless, or Johnson & Murphy, or Alden, but at each step up, refinements take place and not all are visible. Alden does not use a steel shank, and the leather has been more carefully chosen. There are most lasts for the Alden rather than the Payless or even the J&M.

If you get a braceleted watch, you can see and feel the difference between a Citizen and a Rolex or JLC. The steel in the Rolex watch is different than others, and it causes a luster that is recognizable to those that own one. It looks more like white gold than Stainless. The JLC deployant is just so well done and feels great.

You can get an idea of watch prices by reading over the SC at the Timezone over a few days. Guys will even PM you with suggested prices you should pay. Your $500 might get you a watch that would retail for $1200 or so if you had just walked into a jewelry store.
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

I like the Citizen Eco-Drive line - you can pick up a basic one for around $200 or so - a more fancy-shmancy one for around $300 up. They have tons of different models from dressy and understated to full-blown chronographs, multi-time zone, etc.

I just picked up a nice ladies eco-drive for my wife's birthday at Costco for $150 CDN. The same model at a local jeweller was going for $220 after their 'preferred customer discount' which they always give me. I don't know what US Costcos have but it's probably worth checking out.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
nolawis

Watch

Post by nolawis »

I am relatively well versed as watches go. There is one watch that I would recommend at your price point. It's a Seiko 5 mechanical watch with leather strap and deployant clasp. The model number is:

SNM005 white dial

SNM007 black dial

It is a very attractive and reliable watch and a great value. There are great photos of the watch at www.timefactors.com/seiko.htm. Scroll down.

Nw
Fair winds and following seas.
jww
Woolly Bully

Re: Watch

Post by jww »

nolawis wrote:I am relatively well versed as watches go. There is one watch that I would recommend at your price point. It's a Seiko 5 mechanical watch with leather strap and deployant clasp. The model number is:

SNM005 white dial

SNM007 black dial

It is a very attractive and reliable watch and a great value. There are great photos of the watch at www.timefactors.com/seiko.htm. Scroll down.

Nw
Hmmm - that is a very nice basic watch indeed.
Wendell

alabamalawyer

Post by alabamalawyer »

Thanks for all the input. Now I just have to convince SWMBO that a new watch is just as necessary as all the new shaving stuff I keep buying.

Chris
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

alabamalawyer wrote:Thanks for all the input. Now I just have to convince SWMBO that a new watch is just as necessary as all the new shaving stuff I keep buying.

Chris
Now therein lies the true issue!!!
Wendell

CK

Post by CK »

I just borrowed one of my dad's watches for a bit. It is a bit different than most but I like the look of it.

http://www.stauer.com/?sectionpath=1/233/234&pageid=654

They also have some more traditional looking watches. Good price also
Austin
Don't mess with Texas!

Post by Austin »

CK wrote:I just borrowed one of my dad's watches for a bit. It is a bit different than most but I like the look of it.

http://www.stauer.com/?sectionpath=1/233/234&pageid=654

They also have some more traditional looking watches. Good price also
I see those advertised on Road and Track. They are very attractive and quite cheap. I have wondered about their quality though.
nolawis

Stauer

Post by nolawis »

You get what you pay for. If they spend 15 days on Swiss calibrators as the advertisement says, why aren't they C.O.S.C.? Notice that the ad never goes so far as to say Swiss made. These are cheap Chinese specials.

Caveat emptor.

Nw
Fair winds and following seas.
DEF

Post by DEF »

I just bought a Wenger Terragraph and so far am very happy with it. It's more to the casual side, but just right with some khakis and an oxford shirt. I wouldn't call it "bulky," but at 38mm across it does have some presence. Several strap and color combos are available.

Doug