shaving soap or cream that smells like 4711?

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
dadsoldmug

shaving soap or cream that smells like 4711?

Post by dadsoldmug »

I have fond childhood memories of 4711 kolnischwasser, so I'm wondering if there's a shaving soap or cream that smells like it. Anyone out there got any leads? I'm not all that interested in an aftershave or cologne, as I can't wear it during the day at work.
Last edited by dadsoldmug on Sun Aug 26, 2007 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Austin
Don't mess with Texas!

Post by Austin »

DR Harris Arlington comes close.
dadsoldmug

Post by dadsoldmug »

Austin wrote:DR Harris Arlington comes close.
Thanks for the recommendation. I'll try it.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Hedburg, Even closer is the Aqua di Parma shave cream. But it is VERY expensive, unfortunately.
Regards,
Gordon
JohnP
Hookahman

Post by JohnP »

One other to consider, and very affordable, is Wars, from Poland. To me the scent is very similar to 4711, the cream performs rather well, and as a bonus it is dirt cheap.
Thought I would throw that one out there for your consideration.
John P.
dadsoldmug

Post by dadsoldmug »

JohnP wrote:One other to consider, and very affordable, is Wars, from Poland. To me the scent is very similar to 4711, the cream performs rather well, and as a bonus it is dirt cheap.
John P.
Wars! I hadn't heard of that one. Looks like I learned something today. Thanks John.
Nitrox
AC/DC

Post by Nitrox »

JohnP wrote:One other to consider, and very affordable, is Wars, from Poland. To me the scent is very similar to 4711, the cream performs rather well, and as a bonus it is dirt cheap.
John P.
Hmmm, I'm going to go and sniff my Wars cream now. Thanks. :D
Bruno

"Shhhhhaving cream, be nice and clean
shave every day and you'll always look keen."
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Ah, yes.....we're back to the subjective nature of scents again. To me, WARS didn't smell much like 4711. More like a generic 'modern European' sort of scent. Not necessarily unpleasant, but hardly a classic eau de cologne fragrance.
Regards,
Gordon
Nitrox
AC/DC

Post by Nitrox »

Okay, I haven't used the Wars in a while and had forgotten how it smelled. I did take a sniff and it's not far off from the scent of 4711. It does have that citrus sort of scent to it.
Bruno

"Shhhhhaving cream, be nice and clean
shave every day and you'll always look keen."
levente

Post by levente »

Interesting that the subject of WARS came up, as I am in the midst of testing some of the inexpensive Polish shave creams. Pollena Lider Active smells like a Gillette deodorant (you know, Cool Wave), Pollena Lider Classic smells like an industrial product witha hint of mint, Brutal (yes, that is its name) has a scent that I can't quite place, and, yes, WARS does have an old timey citrus scent, more along the lines of a soapy Crown Imperial (I think Gordon refers to this type scent as an "Eau de Portugal"), but not really an eau de cologne like 4711. I actually like it a lot, and find it to be the most pleasantly scented of the "common man" creams I have tried, and a thoroughly decent shave cream as well.

Regards,
Basil
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Basil, Glad that you chimed in. Yes, I think that Crown Imperial was definately a version ( a potent version it must be said ), of the eau de Portugal type scent. And I agree that WARS seemed closer to that sort of fragrance, then to eau de cologne. I also agree that, to me, it was one of the more pleasant of the continental European shave creams, scent-wise, of the ones that I've checked out.
Regards,
Gordon