Cigars

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
Johnnie
Shave This

Cigars

Post by Johnnie »

It seems that there are some very cultured gentlemen in this forum. Listening to Charles speak (type) and Larry's stories, Joel being an expert on liquor, Vince who is somewhat of a renaissance man, it seems that many of you have been around the block. As for myself I am 29 and I like to think that I have been around the block also. I have been in the military and recently graduated college. So I have seen my share.

I have been to many countries and tried many different things. Food, liquor, etc.,but one thing that I have neven got into was CIGARS. I would be very suprised to hear that none of you guys has ever smoked a cigar. I'm sure Joel has a collection as well!

I am getting married on April 30th to my girlfriend of 6 1/2 yrs. I am looking for gifts for the groomsmen. There is one particular person who enjoys cigars. I would like to purchase him a nice box of cigars. Does anyone have any ideas or a clue about cigars?

I think of cigars and wet shaving as one of the finer things in life. So I'm sure many of you guys are familiar with cigars.

Thanks
Johnnie
Keep it Wet
Johnnie
Shave This

Post by Johnnie »

Thanks for the advice Joel. I will take them in consideration when I make my decision. I know there are thousands of different brands out there. Damn I hope I don't take up this habit myself. :shock:

I have also heard that Romeo & Julietta were good cigars also. Do you have an opinon on this brand?

OMG what am I getting myself into!!!!!!!
Johnnie
Keep it Wet
VinceFX
Trumper Fan

Post by VinceFX »

Hold on Johnnie!!! Before you buy anything I strongly suggest you go to the local 7-11 and pick up a pack of Swisher Sweets! Now those are fine cigars! I smoked em all through college and now I find them very nostalgic...bring back memories of my fraternity days :D

I mean, sure they're crap for only about $5 per pack but they tend to grow on ya :wink:
:::Vince:::
VinceFX
Trumper Fan

Post by VinceFX »

Oh, and the only other real cigars I ever tried were called "Punch" and another brand called "Cohiba". I liked em both very much but I think the Cohibas were a bit tastier.

Vince
:::Vince:::
qed-usa
owner of qedusa.com

Post by qed-usa »

Sorry, Johnnie, my experience is limited to chewing tobacco. While in the Army I was surrounded by these strange dudes from Texas and the mid-West who always had a chaw in their yappers. So, being the dumb shit I was at the time, I had to give it a try. Isn't anything funnier then watching a guy chew tobacco for the first time. Yeah, would be a real cool idea to give the guys (and perhaps the women) in your wedding party chewing tobacco. What say you? Regards, Charles QED
clownjuggles
Resident Juggler

Post by clownjuggles »

Johnnie,

I would suggest a company called Sosa Cigar. Fantastic cigars.
Peter
"Attend the Tale of Sweeney Todd
His skin was pale and his eye was odd,
he shaved the faces of gentlemen who never
there after were heard of again. He trod a path
that few have trod, did Sweeney Todd,
The Demon Barber of Fleet Street.
Johnnie
Shave This

Post by Johnnie »

Joel,

Thanks for the advice. I will make sure to sample those cigars as well. Last night I raced to the local cigar store to pick up a few cigars. I bought Romeo & Julieta En Tubo and CAO Criollo. I smoked half of the R&J last night. I am really not a cigar expert but I really didn't care for the taste of it. Nothing special to me. I'm assuming that when I find a cigar that I like I will be able to tell. I am going to meet with a co worker today. He is really into cigars and he is going to give me some advice. I am going to smoke the CAO sometime today. I hope it tastes better than the R&J.

Vince,

Thanks. Now I know what you like and you saved me a lot of money. I will just get you the swisher sweets. I'm sure they will bring back a lot of memories.

Charles,

Ahhh yes. I remember when I was in the navy the fellas from Texas and Oklahoma talked me into trying some chewing tobacco. OMG it was a bad experience. I tried to put a clump of chew under my lip. That didn't work. I had it all over my mouth and it burned the shit out of my throat. Of course I swallowed some by accident so needless to say I felt like shit. It wasn't pretty. The dumb ass rednecks thought it was hilarious. I was sick for the rest of the night. It takes a lot of skill to chew tobacco.
Johnnie
Keep it Wet
blackgrass
Mandolin Twanger (sans drool)

Post by blackgrass »

It takes a lot of skill to chew tobacco.
Yeah...somebody needs to put together a DVD on the proper chewing techniques! From opening the pouch to selecting the proper amount of chew to storage of said pouch....silver and pewter spittoons....silver plated toothpicks for picking the bits of tobacco out of your teeth after enjoying your satisfying chew....Man, the possibilities are endless! :P
Johnnie
Shave This

Post by Johnnie »

After my experience I don't think I will be attempting to chew tobacco. It was a bad experience.
Johnnie
Keep it Wet
qed-usa
owner of qedusa.com

Post by qed-usa »

Yeah, Oklahoma ... a chap from that twisted state, my mate during Infantry training, got me to try a chaw. This is the same person who use to step outside first thing in the morning and literally Hee-Haw like a mule ... not certain why ... oh, yeah, he was from Oklahoma. But hell, who's the fool, my hee-hawing buddy, or green-faced me? In any case, I got the knack of chawing after that first experience ... which teaches you under no circumstance do you swallow. Charles QED
Big Smoke

Post by Big Smoke »

I like to consider myself a cigar aficionado of sorts. It is one of my favorite hobbies. I also enjoy the briar somewhat, as well.
My first question is how much are you looking to spend on the said box of cigars? Then, based on price, how often does the recipient smoke cigars? I would go with a medium-strong cigar as opposed to a mild-medium cigar. Most people who smoke for very long end up going stronger, and the milder cigars are too mild.
There are literally tons of good cigars in this catagory that I would call everyday smokes. $70-80 a box of 25. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.
Johnnie
Shave This

Post by Johnnie »

Thanks for your knowledge. I have decided not to buy that person a box of cigars. However, I have been smoking them myself. I will le tyou know if I have any questions.

J
Johnnie
Keep it Wet
clownjuggles
Resident Juggler

Post by clownjuggles »

Has anyone else tried sosa cigars?
Peter
"Attend the Tale of Sweeney Todd
His skin was pale and his eye was odd,
he shaved the faces of gentlemen who never
there after were heard of again. He trod a path
that few have trod, did Sweeney Todd,
The Demon Barber of Fleet Street.
Chris
Official SMF "Pit Bull"

Post by Chris »

Never tried the Sosa's, but I am a Cohiba guy. In less than a month I'll be laying on a beach, enjoying a Cuban Cohiba Lancero. Ah, life is good!
Big Smoke

Post by Big Smoke »

I believe Sosa is a house brand for Thompson cigars, or maybe Famous smokeshop. I forget which one. I was gifted one, a few years ago, and though I enjoyed it, it was a bit milder than what I generally smoke. But it was definitely in the favorable catagory.
Teuton

Post by Teuton »

I hate cigars, back for your health! :shock:
nolawis

Cigars

Post by nolawis »

La Gloria Cubana and Padron are great at the lower price point. Of course, a reputable tobacconist will also have many Arturo Fuente cigars priced at their suggested retail, which is very reasonable (Chateau Fuente, 858, Lonsdale).

Nw
Fair winds and following seas.
drumana

Post by drumana »

try Partagas Black Label - very nice.

I also got a sampler tin of ACID cigars recently and they are good for a different kind of smoke. Sweet wrappers with tobacco infused with botanicals.

Rocky Patel Vintage 1990 or 1992 are REAL good smokes.

check out www.cigarbid.com. This is a good place to sample cigars at a lower price than a tobacco store. Beware, though. . . it's a slippery slope - just like wetshaving.
-Andrew-
Cigar Dan

Post by Cigar Dan »

I just think it's funny that someone replied to a thread that's nearly 2 1/2 years old to say that they hate cigars.
Danny
Big Swifty

Post by Big Swifty »

+1 Danny
that's exactly what I was thinking :lol:
~Steve

~proponent of a strong salvation army, born again Calvinist, cunning linguist, flaming heterosexual

"Life is too short to drink shitty beer"