Pet peeves at a restaraunt

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
Scrapyard Ape

Post by Scrapyard Ape »

*watches the thread turn into the first few minutes of Reservoir Dogs *

I wanna be Mr. White. :wink:
~Greg
AACJ
Bot Monitor, Poll Lover

Post by AACJ »

Scrapyard Ape wrote:*watches the thread turn into the first few minutes of Reservoir Dogs *

I wanna be Mr. White. :wink:
Actually tipping (or service staff expecting tips) IS a pet peeve of mine, I am still on topic. WOO HOO!!
Art

"This world would be a much better place if people didn't enjoy being victims so much." - Reggs
rahul325
wEtShAvEr

Post by rahul325 »

AACJ wrote:I believe the term tip means "to insure promtness."
i think it is To Insure Prompt Service
Wet shaving is an expensive addiction :twisted:

FS - 2 fatboys - E2 and F4, both in good condition. Pls PM me
ichabod
Mackem

Post by ichabod »

rahul325 wrote:
That would have to be tepping - To Ensure Prompt Service.
Give us the luxuries, and we will forgo the necessities.
Give a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire, he'll be toasty for the rest of his life.
Dominic
NYC-shaver

Post by NYC-shaver »

ichabod wrote:
rahul325 wrote:
Insure and Ensure are synonyms
Dave
JP

Post by JP »

ScottS wrote:I hate it when the waiters at Hooters wear too many clothes.
The waiters can were all the clothes they want, as far as I'm concerned. The waitresses on the other hand.... :twisted:

OK, so this thread has turned towards griping about tipping. The whole purpose of the tip is to reward a good dining experience. It used to be that the tips were shared with kitchen, but U.S. tax laws have changed that. Now it is just the house staff that shares the tips that the wait staff receives. Generally the other positions in house staff make a higher base wage than they wait staff. That includes the host, busser, and bartender. For the wait staff though, they often receive a paycheck that equals zero because that is where the taxes that they pay comes from.

Back on topic - A couple of peeves that get me are dirty salt and pepper shakers and dirty menus. Those instantly tip me off that there are other sanitation problems as well in that establishment.
ichabod
Mackem

Post by ichabod »

NYC-shaver wrote:
ichabod wrote:
rahul325 wrote: i think it is To Insure Prompt Service
Not when you're making a joke that is intended to highlight the silliness of an urban legend, they're not.

Shall we explore "For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge" and "Fornicating Under Consent of the King" next?
Give us the luxuries, and we will forgo the necessities.
Give a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire, he'll be toasty for the rest of his life.
Dominic
rahul325
wEtShAvEr

Post by rahul325 »

ichabod wrote:
NYC-shaver wrote:
ichabod wrote: That would have to be tepping - To Ensure Prompt Service.
Not when you're making a joke that is intended to highlight the silliness of an urban legend, they're not.

Shall we explore "For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge" and "Fornicating Under Consent of the King" next?
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Wet shaving is an expensive addiction :twisted:

FS - 2 fatboys - E2 and F4, both in good condition. Pls PM me
jvan
Mr. Vintage Himself

Post by jvan »

The total abandonment of any kind of dress code. Just recently I went into what I thought to be a rather nice restaraunt (dinners $28.00 and up) and had to endure two of my pet peeves. Two patrons were dining in all the glory of their baseball caps and one who looked like he could ill afford the place was dressed in my worst pet peeve. A middle aged man obviously in need of a man-bra wearing a muscle shirt when anything but muscle was in plain view.

What prompts these people who are going out in public and getting dressed for the day to say to themselves "I think that I'll wear the blue, dirty, greasy tank top".
John V
"What one relishes, nourishes"

Benjamin Franklin
ScottS

Post by ScottS »

My real pet peeve is parents who let their kids act up in nice restaurants. There are plenty of family restaurants for this.
sparkchaser

Post by sparkchaser »

AACJ wrote:I hate watching (and listening) to the chef/cook come out of the bathroom right after I hear the toilet flush without washing his hands, then proceeds to the kitchen to prepare my pizza.

I recently got up and walked out when this happened, I was waiting for my wife and kids to show up and had already put back a beer or two as I got there early. I did NOT pay for my beers and told the waitress I wouldn't. I immediately called the County Health Inspector to inform them of this incident.

I have not and will not ever go to that establishment again.

Here is a transcript quoted exactly from the Virginia Department of Health
Thanks for this link.

I have bookmarked it.
-Rob in Lynchburg
sparkchaser

Post by sparkchaser »

jvan wrote:The total abandonment of any kind of dress code. Just recently I went into what I thought to be a rather nice restaraunt (dinners $28.00 and up) and had to endure two of my pet peeves. Two patrons were dining in all the glory of their baseball caps and one who looked like he could ill afford the place was dressed in my worst pet peeve. A middle aged man obviously in need of a man-bra wearing a muscle shirt when anything but muscle was in plain view.

What prompts these people who are going out in public and getting dressed for the day to say to themselves "I think that I'll wear the blue, dirty, greasy tank top".
You mean a bro or a mansierre?
-Rob in Lynchburg
jjr2527

Post by jjr2527 »

1. I hate when the host walks us to a row of 10 booths, one of them occupied, and then sits us right next to the filled one. What is that?

2. Waiter/ess taking so long to bring a drink refill that I'm done with my meal, especially when refills aren't free
-Jason
Bonzo

Post by Bonzo »

I can't stand it when the waitress drops the plate in front of me. Not place it down in front of me like civilized waitstaff, but literally dropping it right in front of me.

Leaving the check before I'm done is also a pet peeve, because if you want something else, it makes YOU look bad.

Also, aesthetically-deficient women working in an environment designed for men to drink beer and ogle, and having said aesthetically-deficient person be your waitress sucks.

My biggest pet peeve: I don't want to hear your conversation across the dining area, whether I'm at a diner or in a fancy restaurant. I don't need to hear long-forgotten war stories, cell phone conversations, the diarrhea you had, etc., while I'm eating. All of these happened when I was out at a very nice restaurant with my girlfriend at the time, but it applies everywhere.
John

All men, by nature, desire to know - Aristotle
Scrapyard Ape

Post by Scrapyard Ape »

I hate it when I get perfect food and service when I go into a place fully expecting lousy food and service. That really ticks me off. :wink:
~Greg
Bertie Wooster

Noise and large portions

Post by Bertie Wooster »

I'm pretty sensitive to noise and it seems like the noise levels in many modern restaurants have really increased. Conversations at tables are growing louder and louder and everyone is trying to compete just to be heard.

I also wish restaurants would decrease their portion sizes and therefore charge less per entree. I'd rather get a reasonable portion that I can eat while at the restaurant and not have to bring home multiple boxes of leftovers. It's amazing the portion sizes at American restaurants compared to Europe or Asia. No wonder we're all so fat.
Some people are raised and others are just jerked up.
DrRoboto

Re: Noise and large portions

Post by DrRoboto »

I also wish restaurants would decrease their portion sizes and therefore charge less per entree. I'd rather get a reasonable portion that I can eat while at the restaurant and not have to bring home multiple boxes of leftovers. It's amazing the portion sizes at American restaurants compared to Europe or Asia. No wonder we're all so fat.[/quote]

I'm with you on this one. I tend to eat 5-6 small meals per day of about 400-500 calories each. This is damn near impossible to do without carrying out enough food for one, and often two more meals.

I'm also on board with what seems to be the majorities views on tipping. I've dated a restaurant waitress, and another girl who did some restaurant and bar waitressing. I put myself through school, and at the time I never made as much as the restaurant waitress who probably worked 3/4 the hours I did. AND, now that I have an education backed job, I'm only matching the bar & restaurant girls average take home on a forty hour week.
Robert
JakAHearts

Post by JakAHearts »

I hate when I am at PF Changs and I cant eat everything...

HAHHAHHAHA

Shane
Hoos

Post by Hoos »

The recent development of being served plates from the right and from above, instead of from the left.

The next wait staff person who does this is likely to be missing a piece of their arm. By accident of course. Famished diners are known to do unusual things. :)
Brent
Tondeo ergo sum.
bleedingface

Post by bleedingface »

Minor: I don't like when the waitstaff can't pronounce the items on the menu.

Major: I don't like how the cups of soup are tiny and the bowls of soup are so huge!