Latest Shipment of Plisson Horn-Handled HMWs @ Colonial Drug

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
Troy

Latest Shipment of Plisson Horn-Handled HMWs @ Colonial Drug

Post by Troy »

All,

I recently got a few pictures from Cathy at Colonial Drug showing one batch of recently received Plisson horn-handled HMW brushes. Cathy said these were all in size 12; however, at least one (fifth from left in the first picture) looks a size smaller to me. I hope these haven't already been posted - I did a cursory search and didn't find them. As you can see, these are all clearly 3-band brushes, except for one (third from right in the first picture).

Enjoy!

-Troy

The difference between theory and reality is that in theory, there is no difference between theory and reality, but in reality, there is.
--Anonymous
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Troy, Thanks for the photos. It does seem a little surprising to me that almost all of them are three banded as the majority of the ones I've seen have been in the classic white tips, black base mode.
Regards,
Gordon
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

One has to wonder what's going on at the major brush makers. This is not encouraging, but IMHO only serves to blur the lines of distinction and tax credibility.

Chris
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Chris, Yeah, it's actually a bit ironic. For quite a number of years now, Simpsons top end brushes, their Supers, have not been true Whites. For that, one generally HAD to go to Plisson ( keeping in mind that Rooney just re-started serious output again rather recently ). But now, many, if not most, of the Simpson Supers coming in seem to be Whites, whilst Plisson is getting a might shakey in that department.....sigh....it's hard to keep up with it all.....reformulated shave creams that had been the same for decades, ever shifting patterns of shave brush bristle, razor blades from Rumania, or wherever.....sigh again....
Regards,
Gordon
jfrancisco

Post by jfrancisco »

I too received this photo from Cathy and they range in size from 10 to 14. The third from the left is a fantastic brush and is no longer for sale as it is currently sitting on my bathroom counter. :lol:
There is only one difference between a madman and me. The madman thinks he is sane. I know I am mad. - Salvador Dali
vcowman

Post by vcowman »

these things good with soaps, looks like too high of a loft.
Last edited by vcowman on Sat Sep 08, 2007 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nik In San Diego
fisherc

Post by fisherc »

FWIW JJ at Atkinsons in Vancouver told me about 6 mths ago that all his HMW's had been coming in "three band" as well. Also, take note of how sloppily applied the labels are on each in the first pic above. The "pur blaireau" stickers seem all out of alignment.

Chrsi
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Nik, Yeah, they're very good with hard soaps. The bristle has a lot of resilance; 'spring' to it, and is very densely packed. To me, the high end Plissons are best with soaps, and I think that soaps are what the makers have in mind when they produce them.
Regards,
Gordon
vcowman

Post by vcowman »

Hey Gordon, for $300 that brush better be heads and shoulders and legs and feet better than my simpsons special. :lol: I think your suggestion the duke 3 suggestion in best is probably the bestsoap brush, even better than these guys?
Nik In San Diego
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Looks like I'm not going to be the only owner of a three-banded HMW!

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

So, let me get this straight... Why would I spend that kind of money for a three band HMW with a sloppy label? I'll keep my Rooney Finest, thanks. I'll give it a thumbs up for the nice horn handle though.

- Richard (didn't get enough sleep last night)
Richard
Nitrox
AC/DC

Post by Nitrox »

I have one HMW and luckily it is 2 banded. Those new ones look like they have cheaper 'super' hair on them. Did they run out of badgers or what? :lol: :wink: For that price one would want to get a brush that is worth the money invested and looks like an expensive brush.
Bruno

"Shhhhhaving cream, be nice and clean
shave every day and you'll always look keen."
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

Nitrox wrote:I have one HMW and luckily it is 2 banded. Those new ones look like they have cheaper 'super' hair on them. Did they run out of badgers or what? :lol: :wink: For that price one would want to get a brush that is worth the money invested and looks like an expensive brush.
I imagine supply of badger hair can't keep up with the demand lately.
Richard
kirkawall

Post by kirkawall »

Well, I actually prefer the three-band hair (finer, softer) to the two-band (coarser, scratchier) but I agree that almost none of those brushes fit the brief of the HMW Plissons of a few years ago and I certainly was a bit let down when I got mine last year. JJ told me also that these were the current version though and certainly they perform very well. I ordered my EW direct from Plisson however and it is (IMHO) about as close to the traditional two-band as I've seen from them lately. A fluke, or is it perhaps advisable to order from the source these days? Perhaps the real stuff is now hoarded for the top-of-the-line #16s and 20s. I agree with Richard that the fit n' finish of these VERY expensive brushes leaves a lot to be desired. If I ever bought another I'd do it in person.

best,

k
M6Classic
Location: Not as near Colonial Drug as when they were at Harvard Square, but near enough.

Post by M6Classic »

kirkawall wrote:Well, I actually prefer the three-band hair (finer, softer) to the two-band (coarser, scratchier) but I agree that almost none of those brushes fit the brief of the HMW Plissons of a few years ago and I certainly was a bit let down when I got mine last year.
I would urge those of you who are agonizing over two or three banded Plissons set in horn to seek out the late and lamented HMWs set in plexiglass. They are everything a REAL Plisson ought to be and once unarguably were.

Buzz
minderasr

Post by minderasr »

Man you guys are a tough crowd! At first the three banded HMW was THE brush to get. Now they're more readily available and it's a problem? I don't get it!

:shock:

P.S. Is there an email address associated with Colonial?
:D
-= Jim =-

"If your knot flops and splays you are working it too hard."
barbiere

Plisson High Mountain White

Post by barbiere »

I have a Plexi 16 High Mountain White on its way from Plisson direct. When it arrives, I'll compare it to my Plexi 20 and Plexi 16 which I got from Colonial drug a while ago. I believe these were older stock. I also have a size 14 HMW in horn recently purchased from Colonial, and a size 20 horn HMW purchased from Atkinson's over a year ago.

The white on the older stock units is whiter than the recent size 14 horn and and the size 20 horn.

Interesting, in my correspondence with Joris Viart, he referred to the Plexi 16 as "pure white". Whether this is significant,or just a different way to describe the French "High Mountain", I don't know.

Jerry
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Pay no mind to Richard; he's cranky again today ( chuckle ).

Bruno, Well, no, I would not say these things are 'super' badger; they are way too white/light in the tip for that. Keeping in mind that 'two banded' whites are really three banded also, but are longer hairs, with a wider black stripe, and thus are generally thicker gauge, and 'coarser', Plisson may, indeed, be having trouble getting enough of that style of bristle at present ( especially if Simpsons has taken to buying up more of it then they did previously, plus Rooney....chuckle ). And that thought crossed my mind also, that they're hoarding what they do have for the bigger brushes and/or for their long term prestige European outlets, and sending the less rare stuff to those barbarians in North America. But all that being said, some, like kirkawall, actually prefer the somewhat softer three banded version. While I realize that it's often impossible for some members to shop in person, I've always advised this when it comes to upper end Plissons and Simpson Supers, if at all doable. Failing that, a detailed phone chat with a knowledgeable and accommadating vendor is the next best thing.
Regards,
Gordon
M6Classic
Location: Not as near Colonial Drug as when they were at Harvard Square, but near enough.

Re: Plisson High Mountain White

Post by M6Classic »

barbiere wrote:I have a Plexi 16 High Mountain White on its way from Plisson direct. When it arrives, I'll compare it to my Plexi 20 and Plexi 16 which I got from Colonial drug a while ago. I believe these were older stock. I also have a size 14 HMW in horn recently purchased from Colonial, and a size 20 horn HMW purchased from Atkinson's over a year ago.
Jerry
Do you have any male heirs?

Buzz
Baloosh

Post by Baloosh »

Sheesh. One would think that for minimum $300, one would get an aesthetically pleasing sticker.