FLORIS ELITE,any opinion?

What kind of fragrances do you prefer?
Figaro

FLORIS ELITE,any opinion?

Post by Figaro »

I,m curious in read opinions about this fragance.
which are similars?
thanks
Figaro

Post by Figaro »

any member try this :?,pencos
guenron
Ich wünsche, daß ich deutsch war

Post by guenron »

You will find that many of the younger (less mature or immature?) find it too old for their liking. I find it enjoyable and distinctive.. But then again, I find most if not all Floris products to be enjoyable.
Basenotes wrote:According to Floris: Elite is a contemplative concoction of grapefruit and Bergamot leaf sits with the beautifully woody base of this mature and mellow melange. Patchouli Lavender and Cedarwood meld subtly with Sandalwood, Oakmoss, Vetiver, and Tuberose for a richly inviting fragrance exuding the confidence of its wearer.
Here is the url http://www.basenotes.net/ID26120559.html at Basenotes.
Here is the latest writeup from Floris' new site
FlorisLondon wrote:Mellow and sophisticated A deliberate, thoughtful and provoking fragrance, Elite will suit the mature, confident individual. Mellow and sophisticated with a beautiful woody base note.
Regards,
Ron

Better Living Thru Lather
desmoface

Post by desmoface »

I have a sample of this as well as some other Floris scents. It's nice, very traditional as you would imagine. I don't like it as much as Santal and Vetiver, but I do like it. Alas, I will be shaving with the Elite Cream/Shave balm tomorrow, their cream is fantastic.

Steve
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Afternoon. Personally, I don't find Floris Elite to be all that traditional. Rather, to me, this is where the Floris for men scents turned. Elite was the first move toward a more American 'designer'-style product. Not entirely, of course, but then again, Elite first appeared in the later 1980s. From Elite onward, I have not cared much for the Floris men's ( and 'unisex' ) colognes. But the few I've sampled that are older then Elite, I like a great deal.
Regards,
Gordon
Figaro

Post by Figaro »

great info,thanks
Gareth
Taylorman

Post by Gareth »

guenron wrote:You will find that many of the younger (less mature or immature?) find it too old for their liking.
Hmm.....well as a 'younger' member of SMF myself, I think I will choose to take this kind of statement with the pinch of salt it deserves..... :roll:

Anyway...

Elite is (IMO) a pleasant enough fragrance and the basenotes description seems to be pretty accurate. I've just picked up my bowl of the Elite shaving soap and the first thing that hits me is the strong 'wood' smell. My untrained nose can also pick up some citrus there too.

I have to agree with Gordon though - it's not a traditional classic in the same way, say, No 89 and Special No 127 are. I wouldn't personally buy the EDT, but it's still pleasant enough to use.
Teuton

Post by Teuton »

My least favorite cologne from Floris - very 80's smelling (obnoxious)

My favorites in this order are...

Santal
Vetiver
No. 89
guenron

Post by guenron »

Gareth wrote:
guenron wrote:You will find that many of the younger (less mature or immature?) find it too old for their liking.
Hmm.....well as a 'younger' member of SMF myself, I think I will choose to take this kind of statement with the pinch of salt it deserves..... :roll:

Anyway...

Elite is (IMO) a pleasant enough fragrance and the basenotes description seems to be pretty accurate. I've just picked up my bowl of the Elite shaving soap and the first thing that hits me is the strong 'wood' smell. My untrained nose can also pick up some citrus there too.

I have to agree with Gordon though - it's not a traditional classic in the same way, say, No 89 and Special No 127 are. I wouldn't personally buy the EDT, but it's still pleasant enough to use.
Interesting. As one of the more mature members of SMF I see that I can stand by my observation. 80's obnoxious? Tut tut. Tell me about traditional fragrances formulated in 1955. :roll:
Last edited by guenron on Sun Sep 30, 2007 7:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Regards,
Ron

Austin
Don't mess with Texas!

Post by Austin »

Ron, you crack me up. :lol:
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Ron, Yeah, Elite first appeared in the later 1980s, and, IMO it comes across that way as well. No 89 came out in 1955, of course, and No 127 is considerably older then that. I'm not sure when the no longer available 'Original Gentleman's Cologne' first appeared, or even under what name for sure. But, it's definately quite a bit older then Elite for sure. Great stuff. They also used to make a more 'masculine' smelling Lime cologne that I was fortunate enough to get a sniff or two of years ago.
Regards,
Gordon
guenron

Post by guenron »

Well Gordon, I know that Basenotes is probably wrong but they place Elite in 1980, not the late 80's. (CHUCKLE) Need to update that notebook!

But really, so many of these terms bandied about by people who should know better do nothing but obfuscate. Elite is a far cry from the designer colognes that line the shelves and counters of the retail establishments. Top shelf and all of that aside, a formulation that has over 25 years longevity by one of the old British fragrance houses certainly is not in the same class with Diesel..
Regards,
Ron

Teuton

Post by Teuton »

guenron wrote: Elite is a far cry from the designer colognes that line the shelves and counters of the retail establishments. Top shelf and all of that aside, a formulation that has over 25 years longevity by one of the old British fragrance houses certainly is not in the same class with Diesel..
How so? Proof?

I stated my opinion and nothing more - that Elite smells as 80's as Mr. T driving a white 85 Firebird down the California coastal trail.

It smells like dirty hollywood types...with gold chains and feathered hair and white business suits.

JMO...the worst Floris scent.
Teuton

Post by Teuton »

FWIW I have a sampler of Elite that I have only used a couple times and there is still 90% left. I put some on about 30 minutes ago for a second smell.

All my previous statements I stand by - excuse me while I dump this tester.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Ron, Quite a number of the dates on basenotes.com are off, you know that. My God, have you checked out the Trumpers section?! No, Elite is not like Diesel, nor did I say that it was. What I said was that it was the start of the turn to colognes more in the 'designer' mode or style...and I stand by that. I think the same is true of all the scents that Penhaligon's has introduced after Racquets as well. Sure, the base quality is higher then most dept. store fare, obviously. But the style of the scents, their general come on is depressingly similiar. That's not the case with their older formulations. Trumper is about the only one of these old and top shelf London 'gentlemen's perfumers' who seems to have been able to introduce a couple of recent scents that still maintain a more traditional mode and style. While I'm not necessarily a big personal fan of GFT or Trumper's Sandalwood, they also do not remind me of dept. store colognes. Unfortunately, stuff like Cefiro does, and I see Elite as the beginnings of the turn in that direction.
Regards,
Gordon
Churchill

Post by Churchill »

Man, I guess I must have a really crummy smeller.
I love the scent of Elite.Just recently purchased the Edt., to me it
smells nothing like the boring department store scents.
Plus I got a really good deal on it. On the other hand I also tried
the Floris 89 and it came off really powdery smelling on me.
My nose can't make up it's mind whether it likes the old or new scents.
I found Trumpers Spanish Leather to be exceptional but I also like the GFT.
Bob
Bob
Gareth
Taylorman

Post by Gareth »

guenron wrote:
Gareth wrote:

Anyway...

Interesting. As one of the more mature members of SMF I see that I can stand by my observation. 80's obnoxious? Tut tut. Tell me about traditional fragrances formulated in 1955. :roll:
Ron, this really is the sort of attitude that gives discussion forums problems.

Why you felt it necessary to even mention young people in relation to Floris Elite, I have no idea, but to do it in such a patronising way is just rude. Your suggestion that you are somehow "less mature or immature" if you're young and don't like Elite is simply narrow-minded.

No one is trying to "tell" you about traditional fragrances formulated in the Fifties, but we are entitled to give our opinions of them. You've certainly given yours. If you don't want to listen to the opinions of other people (especially those of the younger generation), then I'm afraid you're not in the right place.
Austin
Don't mess with Texas!

Post by Austin »

Churchill wrote:Man, I guess I must have a really crummy smeller.
I love the scent of Elite.Just recently purchased the Edt., to me it
smells nothing like the boring department store scents.
Plus I got a really good deal on it. On the other hand I also tried
the Floris 89 and it came off really powdery smelling on me.
My nose can't make up it's mind whether it likes the old or new scents.
I found Trumpers Spanish Leather to be exceptional but I also like the GFT.
Bob
Bob, you and I have similar taste. I too like Elite and Spanish Leather. I do not care for No 89.
Churchill

Post by Churchill »

I'm giving No.89 one last shot this morning with my shave.
This is a really good reason for trying decants before purchasing a scent.
Austin I believe you are right. I've noticed that you also use Crown's Spiced Limes and my bottle is supposed to be here today. :lol:
Bob
Bob
desmoface

Post by desmoface »

Ok, I shaved with Elite cream and used the Elite shave balm afterwards. To me, it's a nice fragrance. I'm totally new to higher end products, but I find it to be just enough for work. I don't need to use any other aftershaves or colognes other than the balm.

I can say that regardless of the scent you choose, Floris' creams are exceptional.

That said, I prefer the Santal or Vetiver scent to their Elite. I'm kind of lukewarn on the no. 89 and JF.

Steve

P.S. I have no problem being called/considered young, it's been a long time since anyone has called me that LOL.