Crabtree & Evelyn shaving cream

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
Rufus

Crabtree & Evelyn shaving cream

Post by Rufus »

I used to be very dismissive of C&E shaving cream, figuring that since it comes from a "girly" store it couldn't be any good and certainly not suitable for a "manly" man like me. Well how wrong I was. I recently purchased tubes of almond and Sienna shaving cream and can't believe how good they are. IMO they're as good as my TOBS (avacado, rose and lavender), Fraser's, Floris and Proraso, my top-rated shaving creams. The price is not great, but the performance is excellent. I don't know what prompted me to walk into the C&E store, I think I was killing time, but I'm sure glad I did. That'll teach me to stereotype a product without ever trying it...shame on me for missing out on such a good product for all these years. What makes it more painful, is that it's been sitting right under my nose for years and years...none as blind as those who won't see.
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

And their sandalwood cream smells just like Trumper's sandalwood cream (both C&E sandalwood soap and Trumper sandalwood soap are different again). Now you'll know why we were up in arms when the almond oil cream was to be discontinued - we seem to have won a partial victory as it is still to be available in the tubes.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Big Swifty

Post by Big Swifty »

yes Rufus I agree,
the C&E creams are wonderful shaving creams IMO and they do make a great lather. You might want to give their hard soaps a try also. I have the sandalwood soap and I think it is great. Here in Vegas they will not be getting any more of the sweet almond oil creams (tubes or tubs). They only had a few soap refills left, until I bought them :lol:
~Steve

~proponent of a strong salvation army, born again Calvinist, cunning linguist, flaming heterosexual

"Life is too short to drink shitty beer"
drumana

Post by drumana »

C&E creams and soaps = quality.

I'm out of my Sienna cream actually, and kinda miss it. The sandalwood is next on my hitlist from C&E.

I do have a puck of their Nomad Shave Soap and enjoy that as well - I get a good lather from it - smells great. I only use it once in a while (prefer creams) so I think it'll last me a lifetime.
-Andrew-
Eastree

Post by Eastree »

Though I'm basically new to wet shaving (the details would truly be a long story), my only other reference to brush and soap is the extra cheap badger and soap from local major retailers. My first purchases for wet shaving included soaps and a cream from C&E. It is worlds beyond William's soap, and I was still doing something wrong with it.

Yes, I'll fix my lathering behavior next time.

But once again, props to C&E soaps and creams!
Beckham23

Post by Beckham23 »

I have been using the nomad cream and balm in my travel kit for some time now. I have always had excellent shaves with it. It is a little hard to shallow on the price but it is cheaper than some others out there ie CF
FiReSTaRT
As straight as they come

Post by FiReSTaRT »

Their creams are amazing. I'm just waiting to go through the sweet almond oil cream so I can get my hands on some nomad.
As for their soaps... I've had a lot better, a lot cheaper. Actually I'd rather use a hand soap for shaving. Or just plain water.
"The downfall of any system of government is that it is run by humans." -- Ilija Milicevic
sgtrecon212

Post by sgtrecon212 »

I really like the C&E Sienna. I need some more, in fact. I'm finding I don't really like sandalwood creams. Just don't like the scent.
Steve
______
Go Cubbies
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Rufus, I first started brush shaving, in the early '80s with stuff I got from C&E ( and I'll tell you what, they had a LOT more neat stuff then, then they do now, too ), and I continued to use their hard shave soap and colognes ( as well as bath soaps ) exclusively for a number of years. It was the only real quality traditional stuff one could get around here, and I didn't really start finding out about the authentic old English firms like Trumpers until the early '90s. When I did get my first cake of Trumpers soap though, I never went back to the C&E. It's not that the C&E wasn't good, I just thought that the Trumpers and Floris was even better. But, the C&E shave soaps and creams ARE of high quality, but they're not the bargain that they used to be. Time was when they were considerably less expensive then the London stuff, but as you now know, that is no longer true. However, they are, generally, alot easier to get a hold of in many places. BTW, in case you didn't know; C&E is an American company, started in the 1970s.
Regards,
Gordon
Lyrt

Post by Lyrt »

bernards66 wrote:BTW, in case you didn't know; C&E is an American company, started in the 1970s.
Regards,
Gordon
Thought it’s a well-known fact for the long-time wet-shavers here, one would have a hard time guessing it from their logo where “London” often appears (well, at least in France).

Image Image
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

I have always found the C&E marketing scheme to be interesting. They are a US-founded firm, yet overplay the 'international' presence. Nevertheless, their products are outstanding - I have yet to buy a bad item from them yet for either myself, my wife, or our home.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
qhsdoitall

Post by qhsdoitall »

C&E Sweet Almond Oil is my GOTO cream & soap. It will be a sad day when I run out of that. Of course, I'll still have the Sienna, Nomad and Sandalwood soaps and creams as a fallback.
Rich

GOTO: Merkur 34C HD Classic Chrome Double Edged Razor, Feather Razor Blade, Custom Shavemac 23mm Silver Tip Badger Shaving Brush, any Crabtree & Evelyn Shave Cream or Soap, Thayer's Witch Hazel Aftershave.
alabamalawyer

Post by alabamalawyer »

I have C&E Sandalwood and get a great shave from it. I have the C&E Sweet Almond on order (given the positive comments on it).

Chris