Received my new Fraser's today.

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
adam51980

Received my new Fraser's today.

Post by adam51980 »

I got my new tub of Fraser's today and it is much much thicker now. More like Crisco. I cannot wait to shave with it.

Adam
levente

Post by levente »

Mine arrived today as well. I ordered three tubs, one each for my father, brother and me. One came much thicker, like Crisco, as Adam described, but the other two are much runnier. Not sure what to make of this. I will wait until they both cool down (although they didn't sit outside, as the postman handed them to me directly), but I'm not optimistic. Time will tell.

Regards,
Basil
biomesh

Post by biomesh »

Mine looked a little runny when I first opened it up. Sitting closed inside my house at 78 degrees for four hours, the cream has firmed up considerably. I am going to let it sit for a few hours without the lid on to see what happens.

I have a feeling it with thicken up when fully cooled and I'll give it a stir in the morning before my shave.
- Robert -
Churchill

Post by Churchill »

Hi gents,
I received mine as well.
I had to try it out. It was much thicker than the last batch I got.
I know they said that the runny batch still worked as well,but I disagree.
This batch whipped up into a much thicker lather,I really like this stuff.
Hats off to the gentlemen at Shaving Essentials,they did a great job
standing behind their product.
Bob
Bob
levente

Post by levente »

Gents,

Well, I spoke too soon. Unfortunately, the change in the product is not for the better. I had originally thought that one tub was thicker than the other two, but now I can't tell one from the other. In other words, all three tubs delivered today are runny. I will contact Shaving Essentials with the news on Monday. And while I don't blame them for bad product and they seem to be stand up guys, I think it would have been prudent for them to check all the tubs before sending them out, given the recent problems.

Regards,
Basil
greendyk

Post by greendyk »

My replacement tub is much thicker, not runny at all. In fact, it's just right. Thank you John and John at Shaving Essentials!

John
Brett G
Viscount Krona

Post by Brett G »

I received my replacement jar of JM Fraser shaving cream today from Shaving Essentials and to my surprise... it is exactly like the last one. This is in no way the fault of Shaving Essentials, they are simply the middle man here. I am blow away that whoever makes Fraser cream would admit that there was a problem with the last batch; go to the time, trouble, and expense of a do-over; and then make the exact same thing a second time. I haven't shaved with it yet but I assume it will shave the same as the last batch which actually wasn't bad. If you put the two jars together side-by-side there is literally no telling them apart.

Follow up: Shaved with it this morning and was very happy with the results. Even though this second jar looks identical to the first it might actually be a little tighter because it stuck to the brush bristles better. The shave itself was excellent. In the end this is purely an asthetic issue. It ain't the prettiest cream in the world but for the amount you get, what it costs, and how it performs, it is well worth it.
Last edited by Brett G on Sun Oct 07, 2007 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Brett
Big Ren
The Toronto Kid

Post by Big Ren »

I always avoid ordering shaving creams in the warmer months for fear they won't stand up to the heat. I don't know whether excessive heat was a factor in these bad tubs of Fraser's. Given what the manufacturer has said about a prior production issue, I don't know what to believe. I'll try speaking to the owner of TBBS to hear what he has to say. I'll also go to the store and open up a few tubs to see what they're like. FWIW, I've bought over a dozen tubs of Fraser's this past year, and they've all been consistent in density. I'll report back later in the week.

Ren
"What I find ironic is the fact that we can talk wireless to a man on the moon but we can't talk to someone twenty feet away over a hard-wired intercom at a drive-thru!" - Pottydoctor
Gunky

Post by Gunky »

I received Fraser's yesterday, was a bit runny in the tub. Today it looked thickened but I tried creating a sample lather with my brush and mug. Still seemed runny...hope I don't need to return it :?
Rich53

Post by Rich53 »

Got mine yesterday and it is not runny, it is just as it should be.

regards,
Rich

Do not give up before the miracle happens.
Churchill

Post by Churchill »

Mine looked like a totally different cream.
There was very little similarity except for the scent.
I think I would definately talk to the guys at Shaving Essentials,
sounds like they still shipped some of the bad batch out.
Good luck,
Bob
Bob
biomesh

Post by biomesh »

Mine had thickened up even more overnight. It was thick, but not as thick as my TOBS or T&H creams (yet).

A very good cream for the price per ounce.
- Robert -
levente

Post by levente »

Unfortunately, none of the tubs I purchased thickened. I shaved with the Fraser this morning, and though I have never shaved with a brushless cream before, I imagine that this is what it would feel like. The cream itself didn't really even lather, and after attempting to lather in my shave bowl, the results came out, for want of a better word, gloppy. While the shave itself was decent, it took an inordinately long time, as the cream clogged up my TV Special in short order. The quality of the batch I received is not even up to the level of my preferred inexpensive creams such as Erasmic, Kolynos and WARS.

Regards,
Basil
radiofish

Post by radiofish »

Hello all,
This is one of the John's from Shaving Essentials. I did want to assure you all of a few things very quickly.

I wanted to promise you that we threw away all of the old, runny J.M. Fraser's tubs of cream a month ago because we didn't want any possibility of someone getting one of the old tubs in these recent shipments.

We also checked through each of the tubs before shipment because we didn't want to ship out more bad product.

We are certainly working with Basil in ensuring his satisfaction. The only thing that I can think of is the heat got to his creams because when they left our store, they were like Crisco. One of the reasons why we are using Priority Mail is to ensure that your creams are not exposed to heat for a long period of time. The manufacturer has told us that if the heat has gotten to your creams, place them in the refrigerator overnight and that should thicken them up.

I've found that for Fraser's, it helps to start out with a rather dry brush, and I add hot water a little at a time. It does whip up into a thick, slick cream with this method. Too much water will indeed make it soupy. I can submit pictures here if you all would like some - just let me know. I want to try and help out.

This does not explain the soupy nature of the cream that some of you are experiencing. Again, they all left here the consistency of Crisco. The only explanation I have is heat. We'll be in contact with the manufacturer to see what they say about this current issue. Until then, try the refrigerator tonight.

We'll keep on working the problem...
Last edited by radiofish on Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
levente

Post by levente »

Gents,

Wanted to chime in to say that the gents at Shaving Essentials have been on the case and are being their usual more-than-fair selves. John, if you could, I would appreciate some pictures. I always use a drier brush (typically a T&H branded Vulfix for creams) and add water as I go. While I am quite familiar with the top shelf English shave creams, I have also frequently used Palmolive, Pollena Lider, Nivea, Arko, Kolynos, WARS, Brutal, Erasmic and Proraser creams, and the lather from my tub of Fraser's was not like any of them. I have placed a tub in the refrigerator and will see how it turns out.

Regards,
Basil
radiofish

Post by radiofish »

No problem Basil,
I'll start to work on the pictures.

Take care all,
John H.
Panhandle88

Post by Panhandle88 »

I too received my new Frasers and it was more runny than I had expected, though not too bad. Overnight in the cool of my house it thickened up though and I have no complaints whatsoever.

And to be honest, the original batch of Frasers that I received about a month ago (that was the runny kind) has thickened up considerably and I can now hold that jar upside down indefinetly without spilling the contents.

My best guess is that heat during shipping is the issue. I feel guilty that I got a free second one because my first one has thickened ALOT since receiving it.
Russell
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

You know, it takes so darn long to finish that tub that starting off a bit runny can be a good thing. My tub is well over a year old and it thickening quite considerably.

It gives a good shave as ever though.
Richard
Churchill

Post by Churchill »

I know I've chimed in already a couple of times on this subject,but I did
want to try to let all know the consistancy of the Frasers I received this week.
I am able to remove the lid off of my tub and turn it upside down and hold it there,until my arm gets tired,without any movement of the cream.

Bob
Bob
radiofish

Post by radiofish »