Gillette Tech razor I bought on Ebay

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
Martini

Gillette Tech razor I bought on Ebay

Post by Martini »

Does anyone know around what year this Gillette Tech razor I purchased on Ebay was made?

Also, I'm new at shaving with DE razors so I have a related question.

I recently purchase a Merkur HD and the sampler pack from West Coast shaving. I tried a Merkur blade first and I was so disappointed with the shave that I almost gave up on the spot; I figured it wasn't worth it to keep ripping up my face experimenting when Gillette Sensors work just fine. I decided to give it another shot however with a Derby blade and I was very satisfied. My next shave I plan on using a Derby on half my face and a Feather on the other. Looking forward to seeing how the Feather performs.

Anyway, here's my question. With all the experimenting using blades and techniques I have yet to do, what are the chances that I'll be more satisfied using the Gillette Tech over the Merkur HD? I know everyone's different and there's no definitive answer, but I'm curious what an experienced DE shaver thinks the chances are that the design of the Tech will give a superior shave over the HD.
With The Grain
Gillette Aficionado

Post by With The Grain »

I'd say there is no harm to giving the tech a run and seeing if you feel more comfortable advancing with that razor. Note that the shaving angle of the tech will have you holding the handle more perpendicular to your skin than that of your HD which puts more of a bend on the blade. good luck
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

You are quite likely to prefer one razor over the other. Which one? It just depends. Try it out with whatever blade is your best so far.
Zach

Post by Zach »

Ger the date code from the underside of the guard mechanism and cross reference it here: http://www.geocities.com/safetyrazors/gil_ser2.htm#1960

best,

Zach
Racso_MS
Merkur Man

Post by Racso_MS »

I realize someone has to sacrifice...

So it may as well be me...

Send me the Merkurs and I'll make sure they are disposed of in accordance with strick shaving rules and regulations...

I'm gonna use em... (chuckle) cause I like em... :D

OBTW Martini,

WELCOME TO THE FORUM...

Don't mind me, I'm just be serious...
Best Regards From the Deep South...
Remember; It's Not A Race, It's Your Face...
And As Always, Enjoy Your Shave...
(Racso) Oscar...
Martini

Post by Martini »

Thanks for the welcoming and the advice, guys.

No serial number, just an "L", so I'm guessing it's from 1966.
FiReSTaRT
As straight as they come

Post by FiReSTaRT »

Welcome aboard. Gillette Tech is a very forgiving and easy to use razor. It's the only DE I enjoyed shaving with and that gets to shave me once or twice a month. As for the rest... Well, look at my avatar. Got 9 more where that puppy came from lol
"The downfall of any system of government is that it is run by humans." -- Ilija Milicevic
Martini

Post by Martini »

Nice, FiReSTaRT. I bought a straight razor about 10 years ago and I didn't realize at the time that they don't come shave ready, so I gave up thinking that it was just an inferior method. I recently found 5 old straight razors in an old suitcase of my father-in-law's from when he went to barber school years ago.

I plan on sending one of them to Lynn Abrams in the future for sharpening (I just got his DVD in the mail a few days ago) and giving it another shot, but I'm gonna hold off for a while as my wife gets fed up with me going head first into new obsessions. Within the past few weeks I got two razors, a sample pack of blades, Proraso in the red tube, Mama Bear soap, Proraso AS splash, Lumene Skin Tech, the Abrams DVD, an Edwin Jagger badger brush, and probably a few other things I can't recall. I don't think I can torture her any more...at least for a little while. :wink:
minderasr

Post by minderasr »

Martini wrote:Within the past few weeks I got two razors, a sample pack of blades, Proraso in the red tube, Mama Bear soap, Proraso AS splash, Lumene Skin Tech, the Abrams DVD, an Edwin Jagger badger brush, and probably a few other things I can't recall.
This is only the beginning. Acquisition Disorder (AD) comes in many forms, shapes, and varieties. You are doomed....doomed I say!

:twisted:

Oh and welcome to the forum.

:)
-= Jim =-

"If your knot flops and splays you are working it too hard."
Racso_MS
Merkur Man

Post by Racso_MS »

Seriously Martini,

If you really don't like the Merkurs... (depending on the price and quantity)...I'll buy them from you. If it's only a couple it may not be worth it but I'm game (I can at least pay postage). Shoot me a PM with your offer if you want to dispose of them...

I have Paypal...

Enjoy your shave... :D
(Racso) Oscar...
With The Grain
Gillette Aficionado

Post by With The Grain »

Racso_MS wrote:Seriously Martini,

If you really don't like the Merkurs... (depending on the price and quantity)...I'll buy them from you. If it's only a couple it may not be worth it but I'm game (I can at least pay postage). Shoot me a PM with your offer if you want to dispose of them...

I have Paypal...

Rasco you should try more of the originals and forget this loyalty to the knock offs (aka merkurs) :P
Racso_MS
Merkur Man

Post by Racso_MS »

With The Grain wrote:
Racso_MS wrote:Seriously Martini,

I have Paypal...

Rasco you should try more of the originals and forget this loyalty to the knock offs (aka merkurs) :P
CHUCKLE!!!...Oh, I have plenty of different brand razor blades... Merkurs just happen to be one of my favorite... (And I'm always looking for a bargain since there are so many who do not like them)...
(Racso) Oscar...
jrgroucho

Post by jrgroucho »

Martini wrote:Thanks for the welcoming and the advice, guys.

No serial number, just an "L", so I'm guessing it's from 1966.
Welcome aboard. I'm pretty sure that razor is older than 1966. I could be (and often am) wrong :lol: .

--
Jeremy
><((((º>`·. .· `·. .· `·... ><((((º> .
· `·. . , . .· `·.. ><((((º>`·. .· `·. .· `·... ><((((º>
2clfrwrds

Post by 2clfrwrds »

jrgroucho wrote:I could be (and often am) wrong :lol: .
I never noticed that, Jeremy, and you're definitely not wrong this time.

--Glenn
Linas

Post by Linas »

I'm quite new, too. I had been using Merkur Long Handle for about 6 weeks when I came across Gillette Tech from 1930s. I've been using that one for about 4 weeks now. What I can say is that they are different, but don't judge from 1 or 2 shaves. I feel I like the Tech more and more with each shave, but I will still get back to my Merkur. It's a personal thing.

Post by 019 »

Seems you had quite a similar (razor) upbringing as me :) I started with an HD as well and did not like the Merkur blades. My 2nd week, I moved to the Israeli Personna and was stunned with the shave I got. Same with the Derby's which are now my blade of choice. However I could never get along with the Feathers.

I also got a Tech as my 2nd razor and I really do like it. It does take a while to get used to it coming form an HD as you have to hold it more perpendicular to your face (as With The Grain mentioned). Don't give up on it though! It's a great shaver and very gentle.
FiReSTaRT
As straight as they come

Post by FiReSTaRT »

You're taking the right steps. Lynn's DVD is a great tool for a beginner but it can also teach an old dog a few new tricks. His honing service has a stellar reputation so he will get your razor shave ready.
As for the wife... Now that's a scary problem. I'm assuming that it's too late for the "diagnosed skin condition" line of bull. You'll have to find a way to separate the razors and the cosmetic products in her mind.
I guess I shouldn't be telling you about Colleen's soaps or the minty blast that the Proraso pre/after shave cream delivers :twisted:
"The downfall of any system of government is that it is run by humans." -- Ilija Milicevic
Martini

Post by Martini »

Racso_MS wrote: If you really don't like the Merkurs... (depending on the price and quantity)...I'll buy them from you.
I only have a few, and I'm going to give my father 1 of each blade in the sampler pack and see how he likes them. He never stopped shaving with safety razors and I always thought he was really missing out on trying something new. If he doesn't like the Merkurs, I'll get back to you and mail them to you no charge.

Racso_MS wrote: I'm pretty sure that razor is older than 1966.
Out of curiosity, what makes you think that? The only other "L" designation on the site that Zach linked to is from 1941. Do you think it may be that one?
Martini

Post by Martini »

FiReSTaRT wrote: I guess I shouldn't be telling you about Colleen's soaps or the minty blast that the Proraso pre/after shave cream delivers :twisted:
Colleen is form Mama Bear, right? I have the Rosemary Mint now and it smells great, but it doesn't seem to have the lubricating properties of the Proraso. I'll of course give it another try though.

I'm in Manhattan quite often so next time I'm around the C.O. Bigelow in the Village, I'll probably stop in and get some Proraso pre/post. I emailed Proraso and asked where I can still pick some Proraso in the red tube and they got back to me and directed me to that C.O. Bigelow. I stopped there already and they still had it along with a few other Proraso products.
gruffydd63

Post by gruffydd63 »

Gillette stopped date coding it's razors in 1931 and did not start this practice again until 1951. From the look of the box and the price I would put yours at late 1940's. The the date codes referred to applied to the blades only between 1931 and 1951.
Dick