razor help!!!

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
hgeorge648

razor help!!!

Post by hgeorge648 »

I will make it short and sweet. Assume all things equal(prep, creams, brush, razor, etc).

Why is it that I have been getting such rough shaves from all "Super Speed style " razors (Fat Boy, Weishi Razor and my 1948 SuperSpeed)???:

However, I have been getting smooth BBS shaves from my Gillette Tech and Merkur HD.

What do all these "Super Speed style" razors have in common? I know I can just give them up and stick to the razors that work, but being the geek that I am , I need to know what physical design that they all share or what common technique that must be used for them to achive the results I am getting from the Gillette Tech.

Please help!
With The Grain
Gillette Aficionado

Post by With The Grain »

all i can say is that the angle of a superspeed would fall between the shallow angle used for the tech and the steeper angle of the HD. I dont know why they would be harsh for you :? though I am not particularly fond of 60's and 70's superspeeds
kaptain_zero

Post by kaptain_zero »

I don't know the reason why, but you are not alone. I too have come to the same conclusion for me. About the only Gillette razor that works for me is the old Tech, all the butterfly door models work poorly although I did get a couple half decent shaves out of a Fat Boy that I had but it wasn't good enough to bother with. On the other hand, every Merkur I've ever tried works just fine except for the Futur, but that might just be me not liking it due to it's weight.

Regards

Christian
Previously lost, on the way to the pasture. Now pasteurized.
hgeorge648

Post by hgeorge648 »

thanks for your replies. I think I just thought of a possible reason. The butterfly models do not hold the blade as tight as the three piece models. The three piece models seem to hold the blade a little sturdier.

I think I am on to something here. I will look into it a litttle more. :lol:
kaptain_zero

Post by kaptain_zero »

If your butterfly door razors are not holding the blade tight you are not closing them properly. Place the blade in the razor, close the doors until you feel an increased resistance in the knob... you will need to turn the knob about a 1/4 turn further before it is fully closed. During this last 1/4 turn or so you will see the blade bend sharply upwards as it is being tensioned (looking at the end of the razor so one door opens to the left and the other to the right). You must fully close a barn door razor or you risk getting cut from a blade not held properly!

Christian
Previously lost, on the way to the pasture. Now pasteurized.
FiReSTaRT
As straight as they come

Post by FiReSTaRT »

Or stick with the Tech. I love mine and wouldn't trade it in for any other DE.
"The downfall of any system of government is that it is run by humans." -- Ilija Milicevic
alabamalawyer

Post by alabamalawyer »

I get my best shaves from my HD. I have used a Gillette Super Adjustable and Fatboy and have experienced more irritation than with the HD. I think a large part is technique as the Gillette razors seem to require holding the handle at a different angle. The problem could probably be overcome with enough practice time but I find it easier to just go back to the tried and true HD.

Chris
hgeorge648

Post by hgeorge648 »

"I get my best shaves from my HD. I have used a Gillette Super Adjustable and Fatboy and have experienced more irritation than with the HD. I think a large part is technique as the Gillette razors seem to require holding the handle at a different angle. The problem could probably be overcome with enough practice time but I find it easier to just go back to the tried and true HD."

I totally agree, I wonder what the gillette tech and the HD both share that I find them easier use.
With The Grain
Gillette Aficionado

Post by With The Grain »

hgeorge648 wrote: I totally agree, I wonder what the gillette tech and the HD both share that I find them easier use.
my guess would be that the small blade gap of the tech, which lets a person wield it with almost total disregard, is allowing you to use it at similar angle as your HD but the butterfly door gillettes have not been as forgiving. or i could be totally wrong :wink: :D
hgeorge648

Post by hgeorge648 »

Although I should just stick yo what works best , I am determined to get the hang of the super speeds and fat boy.
With The Grain
Gillette Aficionado

Post by With The Grain »

hgeorge648 wrote:Although I should just stick yo what works best , I am determined to get the hang of the super speeds and fat boy.
there is no reason why they shouldnt work for you, my suggestion would be to approach using them as if it were your first time DE shaving, unlearn the weight and angle of the HD. find the correct angle for each different razor and make sure not to apply any extra pressure.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Evening. James and Brett, among others, can give you a more detailed break-down of the specifics of blade angle with different DE models. However, let me just point out the obvious. All the TTO Gillettes have relatively thick bulky heads. The Tech and the Merkurs ( which are, afterall, essentially copies of the 1920s style Gillettes ) have much trimmer heads. This basic fact effects the shaving 'geometry', and is probably why I almost always get a better shave with the TTO models. I'm used to them, and my shaving style and 'muscle memory' developed using them. I can consciously shift to the 'Merkur mode', but it has to be a conscious thing....I have to focus a little bit. If I 'just shave', I will shave in the Gillette TTO mode, and it won't be so great. Your situation may be similiar, but in reverse.
Regards,
Gordon
gagarin

Post by gagarin »

My experience has been much like Gordon's. Since my initiation to DE shaving several months ago, I have spent a lot of time getting comfortable with my Superspeed, and I'm able to get consistent, good results. I also get good results with my other TTO's, as well as the Progress.

I suspect that a little more practice with the Tech would improve my results with that as well. I just haven't developed the muscle memory as yet for proper blade angle, etc.

Chuck
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

I agree it is likely in the way you hold it, or what angle it touches your face.

Some razors seem to be more picky about how they contact the skin, and if your angle is a little off, they shave roughly. Others seem to be a little more forgiving.

If you start from the position where the domed cap of the razor is centred on your face (obviously it won't shave), and gradually adjust from there till the blade just catches the whiskers, you should be able to make any razor work at its best.