Don't read much about Musgo Real any more

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
DavidB

Don't read much about Musgo Real any more

Post by DavidB »

Haven't read too much about Musgo Real lately. It went through a few reformulations, so maybe it's fallen out of favor. Anybody still use and recommend it?

Dave
crackstar

Post by crackstar »

I use it, and I strongly recommend it. The newest formulation is excellent.
JEFF
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Not forgotten at all. It's remarkably good stuff, and the various lanolin/boric acid mixtures used in the past few years have made little or no difference to the quality shaves it provides. I like the scent of coumarin too - but never quite know whether I should think of new-mown hay or Madura Foot.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
nteeman

Post by nteeman »

Musgo Real is my number 1 shave cream--absolutely tops--if I had to pick just one cream/soap it would be MR. :shock:
-Neal (DE user since 1998)
I shave therefore I am

crackstar

Post by crackstar »

Chris, Neal, is it my imagination, or does the Musgo cream contain some menthol? It definitely seems to cool a bit, and I really enjoy it.
JEFF
Big Ren
The Toronto Kid

Post by Big Ren »

I got around to trying Musgo Real late in my wetshaving journey, after trying all the other high end brands first. I would rank it among the top 2 or 3 shaving creams that I've tried and, like Neal, I could be content using Musgo Real exclusively. Not much I don't like about this product. It's a shaving cream with some history behind it, it comes in attractive packaging (I prefer metal tubes to the plastic tubs), it's priced right and smells nice enough and, most importantly, it performs on par with the best of them. Overall, a great cream for both the novice and experienced wetshaver alike.

Ren
"What I find ironic is the fact that we can talk wireless to a man on the moon but we can't talk to someone twenty feet away over a hard-wired intercom at a drive-thru!" - Pottydoctor
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

I tried it - it was an absolutely great shave. I didn't like the scent, but that's just me.
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Jeff, there is menthol as the third-from-last ingredient (the last two are colourings), so not very much.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
crackstar

Post by crackstar »

Chris, it's still a very pleasant, and comfortable feeling during a shave. I find the overall performance fantastic. I realize the menthol content in Musgo is low, as opposed to Ingram, Proraso, or Italian Palmolive.
JEFF
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Jeff, Yeah, it must be pretty low because I can use Musgo without major issues, and stuff like Proraso, I can't. I dunno....it's a decent shave cream, but it never did that much for me. But now that much of the best English stuff has turned weird, it's looking more appealing. I'd probably pick up another tube if it was still available locally, but unfortunately, C-M stopped carrying it.
Regards,
Gordon
crackstar

Post by crackstar »

You're right, Gordon, because a lot of guys seem to be having trouble with stuff like Taylors, Trumpers, etc, and Musgo is becoming more and more popular.
JEFF
sgtrecon212

Post by sgtrecon212 »

I bought it because I heard about it here. I keep it and use it because I think it's great. The scent is what attracted me first.
Steve
______
Go Cubbies
DEF

Post by DEF »

My three favorite creams are Musgo Real, The Body Shop, and Nancy Boy.
Doug
kirkawall

Post by kirkawall »

I picked up a tube last week and used it for the first time soon after and I really like it -- lots of lubrication, nice scent, inexpensive and lathers very well with or without a brush. One of the products I really look forward to using.

best,

o
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

Love it. I'm using it about once a week. The A/S lotion is pretty good (but I save it for cooler months as it has oil in it) and the Musgo Cologne #2 is simply fantastic. A great fall outdoorsy scent of leaves, twigs 'n green stuff, it goes well with the diesel fuel from my Kubota tractor, whilst raking leaves (can you guess what I've been busy doing today?).
Richard
DavidB

Post by DavidB »

Thanks, guys. Sounds like Musgo Real is alive and well. I may have to revisit it.

Dave
Steve

Post by Steve »

Can anyone describe the scent?

Steve
nteeman

Post by nteeman »

Steve wrote:Can anyone describe the scent?

Steve
I've seen it descibed as 'Very refreshing scent of lime and fresh cut hay' and while I never experienced the scent of fresh cut hay I now imagine ot to be something like the scent of Musgo Real. :D
-Neal (DE user since 1998)
I shave therefore I am

Big Ren
The Toronto Kid

Post by Big Ren »

Steve wrote:Can anyone describe the scent?
I'd agree that Musgo Real smells like fresh cut hay but I don't detect any lime which is sometimes mentioned in the ad copy for this product. Generally, I would describe the scent of Musgo as pungent and grassy. No other toiletry product really smells like it. The closest thing is probably a pungent lavender scent IMO.

Ren
"What I find ironic is the fact that we can talk wireless to a man on the moon but we can't talk to someone twenty feet away over a hard-wired intercom at a drive-thru!" - Pottydoctor
TorzJohnson

Post by TorzJohnson »

drmoss_ca wrote:I like the scent of coumarin too - but never quite know whether I should think of new-mown hay or Madura Foot.
Gaaaaah! A warning to all, do not make the same mistake as I did in running a google image search for Madura Foot.
Jim