Don't read much about Musgo Real any more

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
2clfrwrds

Post by 2clfrwrds »

Jim, I like to experiment with what I learn here at SMF, and try things, and experience things for myself. And yet, I think I'm gonna trust you on this one.

BTW, inspiring thread: looks like tomorrow will be a Musgo morning. I don't use it as much as I would like. I just sleepily grab a big ol' tub of cream, instead of considering the small white tube. For me, Musgo cream and AS splash always deliver a fine shave and a pleasing scent.
--Glenn
Last edited by 2clfrwrds on Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kazaam

Post by Kazaam »

My mind is scarred from those images.
bthomasb

Post by bthomasb »

nteeman wrote:
Steve wrote:Can anyone describe the scent?

Steve
I've seen it descibed as 'Very refreshing scent of lime and fresh cut hay' and while I never experienced the scent of fresh cut hay I now imagine ot to be something like the scent of Musgo Real. :D
I've heard this kind of description a lot as well. I grew up amidst a lot of farm fields and regularly had fresh cut hay as well as different kinds of grasses in my nose (I miss it now; it was such a great marker of the seasons).

I also love Musgo cream and its scent (and its wonderful rich lather once I learned its quirks), which for me is comparable to the Musgo bath bar (another favorite, w/ or w/o the rope). I'd contrast the scent of these two to the "vetiver and patchouli" scent of the Musgo A/S balm and Shower Gel/Shampoo, which I like as well but less so.

But I've never really understood the connection btw the scent of the cream and anything very much like "fresh-mown hay." Maybe it was just the "inspiration" for the scent. Sometimes I can kind of see how one might be able to relate the aroma to cut grasses of certain types (or something similar to alfalfa), but find it largely misleading. I know this is how it is with scents, though.

I've noticed as well that the backstory for another Iberian toiletry line, Heno de Pravia (Hay of Pravia) claims its totally distinct scent (more fresh and minty) of soaps and fragrances is a close reproduction of the scent of fresh-mown hay. To my nose, Musgo is a lot closer.

Anyway, one of the reasons I like it so much is that Musgo smells like Musgo and nothing else.

(I particularly like the scent if you layer a little of the [rather thick, mint and eucalyptus smelling] Musgo preshave oil below the cream. End with the balm and the combination is marvelous. Really great skin care, too.)
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

As much as I love the Musgo scent it would be great to see the Musgo cream scented with their #2 Oakmoss cologne. Good stuff that.
Richard
cmfodera

Post by cmfodera »

I was a long time user of Musgo before moving to Trumper's rose for a bit. I recently decided to give Musgo another go. Over the past 3 days, I was greatly disappointed in the amount of lather created by Musgo as well as its level of protection. What gives? Anyone have similar experiences?
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

cmfodera wrote:I was a long time user of Musgo before moving to Trumper's rose for a bit. I recently decided to give Musgo another go. Over the past 3 days, I was greatly disappointed in the amount of lather created by Musgo as well as its level of protection. What gives? Anyone have similar experiences?
It may be that you have to use more of Musgo Real than you do of Trumper's. Or that the amount of water needs to be different. I haven't heard any mention of lack of protection from M.R., until yours.
Teuton

Post by Teuton »

I shaved with Musgo this morning. One thing about this cream compared to my others (Proaso, Florena, Williams) is it not only offers a great shave, but more importantly my face feels different than the aforementioned AFTER the shave. No burning, tingling, or anything.

FWIW I have sensitive skin so I don't use any balms, pre-shave oils, aftershaves, etc.

Just me, my brush, DE razor, and some cream.
cmfodera

Post by cmfodera »

I am thinking that I just may not be used to using that much cream to get three passes. I remember the shaves that I used to get with it were AMAZING.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

cm, Well, I, and some other long-time wetshavers, never thought that Musgo held as much water as the best English creams ( the old style ones ), and I still don't think it does. You've become spoiled is all ( chuckle ).
Regards,
Gordon
Au Sables

Post by Au Sables »

Gordon...

C-M still carries Musgo Real through their mail order catalog (I know, I know... :whistle:)

http://www.caswellmassey.com/shopping/p ... ductID=110
James

"You can easily judge the character of others by how they treat those who they think can do nothing for them." ~ Malcolm Forbes
suffolksupplies
Vendor

Post by suffolksupplies »

I wish they did Musgo in a tub.

Paul
Best regards,

Paul

Quality shaving products & toiletries from Connaught Shaving http://connaughtshaving.com
Bargepole
Beam me up Scotty

Post by Bargepole »

Big Ren wrote:
Steve wrote:Can anyone describe the scent?
I'd agree that Musgo Real smells like fresh cut hay but I don't detect any lime which is sometimes mentioned in the ad copy for this product. Generally, I would describe the scent of Musgo as pungent and grassy. No other toiletry product really smells like it. The closest thing is probably a pungent lavender scent IMO.

Ren
From memory (haven't got any here): coumarin (wet straw/new-mown hay), patchouli, vetiver (earthy, grassy), menthol, muscone. A complete change from the "clean" smells beloved of the English houses before they went off the rails.
Michael

People say it's never too late. How wrong they are. --Felix Dennis
Groundhog

Post by Groundhog »

Au Sables wrote:Gordon...

C-M still carries Musgo Real through their mail order catalog (I know, I know... :whistle:)

http://www.caswellmassey.com/shopping/p ... ductID=110
I bought 2 tubes and the lime facial soap from the C-M store near me a couple of weeks ago. They were fully stocked on all the Musgo products.
Scott