New cream to try

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
mustang66

New cream to try

Post by mustang66 »

Hi All,

I have just finished my pot of new formulation Trumpers Rose, after all this re formulation and after trying a friends old pot of violet, I am looking for a new cream. I currently have some MWF soap which is good, but I prefer the creams than the soaps.

Considering all this re formulation, what creams are still good. I was thinking either castle forbes or maybe some Taylors Rose and Avocado since they are so much cheaper than Trumpers etc, I refuse to pay $45 a pot for the trumpers here in OZ considering all this reformulation and the poor service trumpers have been providing.

Can anyone recommend any good creams?

Of course I still have the trusty Proraso stashed away

Thanks
Gareth
Taylorman

Post by Gareth »

Mustang,

If you want to spend money on good quality English creams, then spend it on Taylor's. Yes, they've reformulated too, but the change is less noticeable. The fact that they are around half the price of Trumpers, Harris et al, also makes any loss in quality a little easier to swallow.

They lather well, provide a good and comfortable shave and are certainly the best value for money (IMHO) among the rest of the top-shelf English creams. There's also plenty of choice in terms of scents.

Regards,
Gareth (Self-confessed 'Taylorman' - Sorry Bill :wink: )
northadams
Mad Max

Post by northadams »

Don't forget the Shaving Gallery out of suburban Atlanta. A Creighton cream whatever that means these days. A Citrus note...and the new batch I just received looks and acts like the old so who knows. Taylors sounds promising...like going back to the warm confines of family than those stuffy Harris types at Thanksgiving!

Max
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

By George!....I thought this one might bring ole Max out of the woodwork ( chuckle ) about the Shaving Gallery stuff. And sure 'nuff.
Regards,
Gordon
Trumperman
Bill Extraordinaire

Post by Trumperman »

Gareth wrote:
Regards,
Gareth (Self-confessed 'Taylorman' - Sorry Bill :wink: )
Gareth,

Not to worry. You just beat me to the punch in this case! I'm starting to get a bit embarrassed about my screen name. Maybe I should change it to "the old unreformulated trumperman" :lol:

You've certainly sparked my interest in the Taylor creams and I thank you for that.

Regards,

Bill
Don't think......shave.
kirkawall

Post by kirkawall »

I just picked up two TOBS creams, lemon-lime and sandalwood. I like but don't love the scents but these are in terms of texture, consistency and performance by far the best of the reformulated creams on offer from the 3 Ts and Friends. I'd agree with Gareth that they're the best place to start given your stated preferences.

best,

k
Trumperman
Bill Extraordinaire

Post by Trumperman »

"K"

Thanks for the information. I will have to pursue this matter with greatest importance!

I just may become trumper/taylorman.

Regards,

Bill
Don't think......shave.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

k, Your 'report' is, indeed, encouraging. I'll be checking out the Taylors next week in person, and will almost certainly pick up at least one pot to try. So, I hope that I wind up concurring with you and Gareth, as this is pretty much the last redoubt for me. I don't care much for cologne scented creams, so, the current Floris and Penhaligon's offerings are pretty well out of court ( plus they're so beastly expensive ), and while CF is plainly a top quality product, it never really worked that well for me ( and is also beastly expensive ). So, the newer Taylors is pretty well it, if I don't want to give up soft creams entirely ( which I don't ).
Regards,
Gordon
Michael_K

Post by Michael_K »

I’m partial to Vulfix’s Lavender and Sandalwood cream. IMO, they perform well, smell nice and are easy on the wallet.