Confession and Testimonial Regarding Nancy Boy

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
Chaps

Confession and Testimonial Regarding Nancy Boy

Post by Chaps »

I have a confession and a testimonial to make. First of all the confession; I know that a lot of gentlemen on this board like Nancy Boy products. I have always been tempted to try some myself, but I must confess that every time I started to purchase some, a picture of Frank Barone pops into my head. Frank Barone is the family patriarch on "Everybody Loves Raymond" and he has a special use for the word "Nancy" on the show. For those of you who have watched that show, know what I mean. I'm sorry but whenever I think of Nancy Boy, I think of good old Frank.

Now, for the testimonial. SMF member Bertie Wooster and his wife came over to our house for Thanksgiving dinner and guess what he brought for me to try? That's right, some Nancy Boy Shaving Cream. He had purchased some of their soap and they sent him a good sized sample of their shave cream. Well, I gave Bertie the same story about Frank Barone and "Nancy" and we all had a good laugh. But, I did tell him that I would try the Nancy Boy Shave Cream and I did this morning, and man, was I ever surprised! The stuff is really good. It sort of has that old school scent that I like and it whips up a pretty decent lather in no time. Shame on me for not trying it sooner just because of it's name :(

I am going to use the rest of the sample Bertie gave me and will probably purchase some myself. I still wish they would change the name, though :D

Danny
Danny

"Because I prefer the cool, clean sweep of the tempered steel as it glides smoothly--" Cary Grant as he is shaving in a scene from "Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House"
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

The name is a sort of in joke by the guys who run the company, and it means to them exactly what it means to old Frank. They can use such a name on themselves, both because a man can call himself whatever he wants to be called, and because (in a strictly technical sense) they are. :D
PACHUCO

Post by PACHUCO »

Okay this is kind of creepy; as I started reading this post I am watching a re-run of Everybody Loves Raymond, second of all not one week ago I made a pilgrimage to the Nancy Boy store. That being said, to date it is the best shaving cream I have tried. I purchased a full size tub of the signature s.c. and a full bottle of the cooling a.s. I also bought travel size replenishing s.c. and a.s. Have tried both and am leaning more towards the replenishing, the smell takes a little getting used to but it feels wonderful. The soaps are excellent bought some of those as well, as is the shampoo and hand soap that I got as samples. Great in-store service, if they’re on-line store is anywhere close to the level of service I got there I would be much impressed.

Sergio

re-run just ended :)
Bond

Post by Bond »

what does nancy boy mean in American, we dont get Everybody Loves Raymond over here but Nancy boy kind of means effeminate or even a bit gay
-Dave-
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Bond wrote:what does nancy boy mean in American, we dont get Everybody Loves Raymond over here but Nancy boy kind of means effeminate or even a bit gay
I think you'll find it means the same, but not everyone understands it on this side of the pond. Yesterday FedEx brought me a big box from them, and I had to explain to my receptionist what 'Nancy Boy' meant. They are a great company to deal with, but I would make a few adjustments to their shaving cream myself. They no longer ship to Canada, except by special pleading from old customers.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Well, I for one need to get around to trying their bath soap.

Sam
mistercoffee

Post by mistercoffee »

PACHUCO wrote:...Great in-store service, if they’re on-line store is anywhere close to the level of service I got there I would be much impressed...

I've purchased from them online and have had nothing but the best experiences. They ship immediately, and their shipping rates are more than fair. If you ever have a question, they'll send you a personal, detailed reply - something that you very rarely receive from other online vendors. They'll take the time to explain an answer and will continue to help out for as long as it takes.

Nancy Boy's products are great and beyond compare. So is their customer service. I'm hard-pressed to want to order from anyone else.
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Sam wrote:Well, I for one need to get around to trying their bath soap.

Sam
Even though I understand that long service under the horsehair wig has left you trichologically-challenged, Sam, their bath soap is superb for hair washing, never mind the unmentionable parts that also need washing now and then.

Chris
Sweetgrass addict
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Ah Chris, sometimes I think the weight of that hair is affecting my mental capabilities, which were limited at that. Though my sense of smell never was as acute as others.

Sam
Leisureguy

Post by Leisureguy »

I also like the Nancy Boy products, and I *love* their slogan: "Tested on boy friends, not animals."
sgtrecon212

Post by sgtrecon212 »

I get some ribbing as well, but I can tell you that without exception, those I have given samples to have really liked the stuff.
Steve
______
Go Cubbies
mikeny278

Post by mikeny278 »

I had recently gotten another tub of the Signature & the Replenishing Shave Creams. This time around, both of the creams have a much thicker consistency than my first tub of Signature Shave Cream that I got over 6 months ago. I don't know if this is just random, or some sort of reformulation? I have not tried my new Signature cream because I am really enjoying my Replenishing Cream, but the thicker consistency seems to be working fine. As far as amount, though, I am still using two dallops of cream to build my lather (while all of my other products, such as Taylors, just take one dallop).

--Mike
BlankTim

Post by BlankTim »

I purchased the travel sized shave creme and cooling after shave balm last week to test out.
I used it Friday, and I think I'm definetly allergic to lavender. No sinus issues like I had with the lavender soap that I tried once, but nasty back of the throat feeling and tickle going on.

Of course I may be getting sick or something, because my throat is still bothering me today.

I really hope this isn't an allergy thing, I really like this product. :(
The Signature Scent is wonderful, and it gave me one of the best shaves I've had. A great match of slick and cushion, and the cooling ASB is very nice as well.
-Tim
...So I lathered him with me shillelagh...
Troy

Post by Troy »

I have tried both of the NB shaving creams, and I don't really care for them all that much. I seem to have the same problem with lathering that I had when I tried the brushless cream "Cremo Cream". The lather was slick but there wasn't much of it.

However, let me put in a plug for some of their other products. Their laundry detergent is fantastic - it's all I use now. The foaming (liquid) hand soap and the room spray are also both great products.

-Troy
The difference between theory and reality is that in theory, there is no difference between theory and reality, but in reality, there is.
--Anonymous
hyperwarp

Post by hyperwarp »

Their SC is "brushless" but it whips up under the beating of the badger with the best of creams. NB SC's are my go-to SC's. When I run out of my current stocks of TOBS, Trumper's, etc, NB will probably be my only
SC's. Great performers @ a great price point = real value imho.

Am working thru their skincare/hair care/home care lines & every product I've tried so far has been superb. So are down right cheap, some on the pricey side.

Ultramarine Cream - easily worth 5x to 10x the price they charge. My wife & I both use it.

Shower Gel - a little pricey but the Signature will set'yer skin to tingling very pleasantly. My wife loves the Replenishing SG & will use no other unless she's going for a particular "scent" for an evening out.

Shampoo/HC - fairly priced & superb.

Facial Cleanser/Face Moisturizer - a bit pricey but great performers that
deliver the results.

Body Moisturizer - very fairly priced. Great as an aftershave too.

Soaps - super value for a super bar of soap in a bunch'a great scents.

Hand Lotion - cheap price. I don't use'm but SWMBO loves'em. Avail in a tunna scents.

Body Oil - Low Priced enough that SWMBO kinda "abuses"'em imho.

Laundry Soap - I'll use no other. A good value for the money.

Just got a huge box of stuff delivered today for SWMBO xmas (plus some
cleanser, moisturizer for moi, hehehe snuck it in on her xmas order)

When you factor in the hefty 15% discount which you get on everything when you (gulp) join "Club Nancy Boy" + the FREE FEDEX on orders over
$50 (come'on if ya can't spring for $50 in various products on an order ya
might as well stick to walmart's hygiene aisle for your shaving/skincare needs). Plus factor in the "reward" products they through in on orders & Nancy Boy is actually a bargain price brand bottomline & top-notch, top quality to boot.

Now, end up with great Customer Service (no questions asked money back guarantee) & stir in Eric Roos's genius (imho)... it all add's up
to a special business with great products for both You & yer Wife/GF.

I probably forgot sumtin' but now you know how I feel about NB...LOL

PS - I had the same "problem" some of you other guys had with the name but after using the products, I appreciate Eric & Jack's sense of humour. Heck I even got a NancyBoy T-Shirt to wear to work on Casual
Friday & jolly good laughs are had by all.
Exapno

Post by Exapno »

Bond wrote:what does nancy boy mean in American, we dont get Everybody Loves Raymond over here but Nancy boy kind of means effeminate or even a bit gay
It's on every morning on Channel 4. It's worth watching, if the people that schedule television programs in the UK weren't such utter fecking morons it would be on in a decent time slot and have a bigger following. Instead we get "Can fat teens hunt?".
"I don't know whether my life has been a success or a failure. But not having any anxiety about becoming one instead of the other, and just taking things as they come along, I've had a lot of extra time to enjoy life."
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

I read "available in a tuna scent" a moment ago. :lol:
sean mac

Post by sean mac »

Me too. What would the boys think of that? :shock:
Produce great people, the rest follows.
- Elbert Hubbard