Shaving at the Movies PICS

Need help with a process of wetshaving? Wanna see pics or videos? Here is your Mecca!
salbev
Mr. Fidelity

Post by salbev »

there's a cool scene from 'My Heroes Have Always Been Cowboys' where Scott Glenn's character is standing at the sink shaving with a 'disposable' type razor and his father comes to the door and rips him apart about it and tells him he prefers a straight razor or a real razor compared to that throw away crap...something like that...great scene about shaving!
Occam

Re: THE BIG SHAVE

Post by Occam »

reginald-van-gleason wrote:out using a DE...

***If you aren't (gulp) squeamish about blood, YOU CAN WATCH IT ONLINE HERE:The Big Shave***

Enjoy.
Hehe... well I am squeamish about blood but I can watch barbecue sauce being splashed around all day :)
Ben

Merkur Futur in Au.
giraffejumper

Post by giraffejumper »

There is a good str8 scene in "Sin City".

Benicio Del Toro has been really bad to Brittany Murphy, and Clive Owen is hiding in the shower to get him back:
He comes up behind with his razor out as Toro "uses the facility":
He grabs him by the hair and takes him by surprise:
Toro says that Owen is making a big mistake, and Owen exclaims that Toro made a big mistake by not flushing, and proceeds to shove his head into the toilet!
-philKnowledge! Pass it on!!!
Even more knowledge! Keep it alive!
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

I was channel-surfing the other night and stumbled upon that great shaving scene from The Natural where Richard Farsnworth and Wilford Brimley are shaving side-by-side. It's a quaint commentary on DE (being used by Farnsworth) and straight razors (being used by Brimley).

Great scene.

Great movie.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
final_id

Post by final_id »

For opera lovers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmTcmBn56Jk

In this five-minute-ish YouTube clip you can watch Hermann Prey open Rossini's "Barber of Seville" with the "Largo al Factotum." At roughly time index 2:00 he opens the shaving cabinet and takes out a few odd implements. A couple of brushes, an unhinged straight razor (looks more like a meat cleaver). Mostly he messes with wigs, since that's what the lyrics are about.

If I remember correctly, it's from a Met video production from 1976-ish.
Cliff in New Orleans
rafikz

Post by rafikz »

giraffejumper wrote:
I was watching a trailer on the television yesterday (Christmas Day) for 'The Terminal' starring Tom Hanks as a beleaguered traveler, stuck in an American airport. There is a scene where he is in the bathroom shaving with another chap, and Tom Hanks is using a DE razor. From the quick shot they showed, it appeared to be a Tech or something similar.
Gareth, thanks for bringing that up! I have had that movie for a while now and never knew about the DE scene because I have not watched it since my journey into wetshaving.

Churchill, 2clfrwrds, and everyone else - thanks for keeping this discussion alive! ( I am a big Rat Pack/ Dean Martin fan. His daughter comes into the Birmingham airport sometimes but I am too nervous to talk to her about him)
I am curious to see how long it can get! I have been adding to it for well over a year now.

It is definitely some kind of tech!
The bigger guy with the cartridge shaver starts taking the exact same strokes that Tom Hanks does:
First the left upper lip, then the right chin:
Then Mr. Hanks annoyingly looks at cartridge guy:
He stops shaving so cartridge guy will stop copying him.
The scene ends with cartridge guy going ahead and shaving on his own.

I remeber seeing a can of Gillette Foamy in that scene
giraffejumper

Post by giraffejumper »

This is a nice str8 scene from the 1937 movie "Nothing Sacred."
The movie was not in the best shape, so it is a little grainy.
The doctor is shaving as he talks to two different people separately (and like a lot of other movies, keeps getting interrupted!):
Last edited by giraffejumper on Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.
giraffejumper

Post by giraffejumper »

Warning! Bad shaving cut ahead!

This is from the movie "Eastern Promises."
It is a str8 scene where the guy cuts just a little too close!
He first hands him the razor:
Then he goes for a VERY CLOSE against the grain shave on the customer!:
Not exactly the correct 30 degree angle! Probably should read Dr. Moss' book before trying this again!
Ouch! He is going to need a lot of tissue for that cut! Grab the styptic!
He decides at this point that he wasn't fit to be a barber! But decent for a mob killer!
kd7kip

Post by kd7kip »

Ouch Phil! That'll take a couple alum blocks...
jww wrote:I was channel-surfing the other night and stumbled upon that great shaving scene from The Natural where Richard Farsnworth and Wilford Brimley are shaving side-by-side. It's a quaint commentary on DE (being used by Farnsworth) and straight razors (being used by Brimley).

Great scene.

Great movie.
That wasn't Wilford Brimley, it was "Gramps" (common mistake)...

-Scott
Dumb as a stump and twice as ugly...
giraffejumper

Post by giraffejumper »

That wasn't Wilford Brimley, it was "Gramps" (common mistake)...

Speaking of Wilford Brimley, the "BEETIS" videos of him on youtube are very amusing!
http://youtube.com/watch?v=pod4jIKT_kA
http://youtube.com/watch?v=MKOnfSSLezI

Now I picture Gramps as Wilford Brimley and Gordon as Sam Elliot!
giraffejumper

Post by giraffejumper »

Here is the famous "North by Northwest" shave scene where Cary Grant has to use a mini travel brush and Tech to shave with at the train station.
It is obviously weird to him that they are so small:
I have a few of the travel Gillette's, but none that look quite like this:
He lathers up as another guy has a str8 shave. The police are looking for him and the shave cream is helping hide him:
He checks to see that the police left and then continues to lather:
Now he begins the shave with the mini de:
It is not long before the man with his manly str8 notices the tiny de and looks at Grant and it weirdly:
After a short pause, they both go back to shaving and then Grant uses the de to make what looks like a small Hitler mustache and poses in the mirror with it: Great movie!
jrgroucho

Post by jrgroucho »

Very nice Phil. It has been awhile since I've seen North by Northwest (and well before I joined SMF) and I forgot about this scene. Thanks for posting.

--
Jeremy
><((((º>`·. .· `·. .· `·... ><((((º> .
· `·. . , . .· `·.. ><((((º>`·. .· `·. .· `·... ><((((º>
The Truthinator

Post by The Truthinator »

I saw the movie "The Darjeeling Limited" by Wes Anderson last night. Does anyone, who has seen the movie, know what kind of razor Adrien Brody is using? It looks like a Merkur Slant. I couldn't find a picture of that scene, sorry. But I am pretty sure, it is a Slant, I don't know if it is a Merkur.
giraffejumper

Post by giraffejumper »

Here is a post about the slant in this movie: http://www.shavemyface.com/forum/viewto ... darjeeling
I don't like to link to where other people have started movie stuff other than here - but I hope it helped reassure you that no one else was for sure either!
The Truthinator

Post by The Truthinator »

Thanks, Phil. If someone could post a pic of that scene, I would really appreciate it.
giraffejumper

Post by giraffejumper »

Another movie shave interrupted!
In the movie High Plains Drifter, Clint Eastwood comes to town and makes everyone nervous.
He leaves a bar where some guys are starting trouble with him and goes to get a shave and a bath.
Here is the barber honing on what looks like a hamburger:
Mr. Eastwood walks in and asks for a shave and a bath:
The barber looks him up and down as he strops:
He asks Mr. Eastwood if he would like lilac juice, that all the girls like it. It is declined:
He applies the lather from his mug and brush:
Just as he starts to shave, trouble walks in:
They taunt him and say that he smells worse than the lilac juice and as soon as one spins him around in the barber chair, they get what is coming to them! I hate not being able to get a good shave also!:
And left with a full beard!
Later he comes back to get his bath. The barber is shaving just fine until he walks in the door:
Then he gets nervous and shaky and cuts the sheriff - who grabs the razor from him before any more damage is done:
The sheriff gets up and goes to hire Mr. Eastwood to save the town from bandits since he just killed the already hired help:
bjrn

Post by bjrn »

Surprised no one posted this one yet, from the intro bit to Shaun the Sheep:

You can see the moving images in this video (it's just a few seconds).
Last edited by bjrn on Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
giraffejumper

Post by giraffejumper »

Great one bjrn!
I wish I could shave that fast - well, without chopping parts of my face off.
I guess that is mostly a British show?
Thanks for the post!
bjrn

Post by bjrn »

Yeah, it's an English kids show made by Aardman Animations who also made Wallace & Gromit (which you might have heard of). Each episode is perhaps five minutes or so, and its really well made.
final_id

Post by final_id »

Love that Nick Park stuff. I remember when I first encountered 'em -- well before "Chicken Run" and before most of the world had heard of Wallace and Grommit. It was at a cartoon festival in Toronto; a series of quick interviews with humans about their living spaces, animated to various animals. The Irish pensioner becomes a myopic turtle speaking about having a nice cuppa; the displaced jamaican expat moaning about lack of "space, mon" in London becomes a langorous puma lounging in a zoo. The chickens appear, too, in the background snapping one anothers' beaks.

Nick Park rules. "Grommiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiitt ...!"
Cliff in New Orleans