Sensor vs. Sensor Excel

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
SurfFisherman
Bargain Detector

Sensor vs. Sensor Excel

Post by SurfFisherman »

I know there are several members here who use the Gillette Sensor as their razor of choice- I'm curious to hear your opinions of the Sensor vs. the Sensor Excel.

Thanks in advance!
Chris G
New York City
mantic
Wielder of the Zorrick

Post by mantic »

I just came back from a business trip, where I decided to try a "regular" Sensor (I've also tried Sensor XL and Mach3). For me, the XL worked better than the "regular." The Mach3 works better still (for me). However, a good DE blade and my Progress DE works best of all (if I have time). Go figure.

--Mark
SurfFisherman
Bargain Detector

Post by SurfFisherman »

Thanks very much for you input Mark. I am curious to hear what some of the other members think as well.

I currently use a M3T, which gives me a nice shave, but also presents a couple of problems- I find that the head of the razor is just too big and I have trouble getting to everything in my moustache area (specifically right under my nose). In addition, I find it difficult to get a clean, straight line on my sideburns when using the M3T.
Chris G
New York City
jmhillrph

Post by jmhillrph »

I used to use the Sensor but when the M3 came out I converted to it because, on the whole, it did provide me a closer shave and never gave me a cut. My one disappointment was the same as yours-- being unable to navigate tightly beneath the nose. Until recently I just accepted that liability and managed with it the best I could. But then after I started browsing the shaving forums I realized that it was permissible for me to use more than one razor during a shave. I'm not sure if that idea had truly never dawned upon me or if just instinctively it seemed like it would be too much of a hassle and perhaps more costly. Well, now most mornings I'm using three different razors and for me it's not an inconvenience at all or at least it's negligible in light of the improved result. My current routine involves using the M3T with the grain supplemented by a Sensor Excel (I'm trying my first pack of cryo'd blades right now) to cover the tighter area under my nose and around my lips. I then follow that up (unless I'm in too big of a hurry that day) with an against the grain pass with a Bic Metal (props to Gordon for his recommendation of that one)-- the single blade against grain has given me the closeness that I want without the irritation that I would typically get from a multi-blade going against the grain. Sooner or later I expect that I'll upgrade from the low-cost Bics to a real DE razor but I've been quite pleased with how this regimen has been working thus far. I know that doesn't really answer your question but I thought it might at least be relevant.