Help comparing these brushes

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
shaveshell

Help comparing these brushes

Post by shaveshell »

Looking for a new Simpson. Can anybody provide any feedback on differences between the Persian Jar, tulip and the Polo series. I have a Chubby2 best. Assuming this one would be a super. Is it worth it?
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

As far as I'm concerned if its a Simpson its worth it. The only model I can comment on is the Persian Jar. Mine is a PJ2 with super bristle and it falls into the stiff category. I'll leave it to the brush guys to compare details between models, my only experience has been with this one, a Major travel and Chubby, all in super and stiffer than best so I can't give you a direct comparison.

I believe my next Simpson will be in best.
Regards,
Squire
shaveshell

Post by shaveshell »

I guess I can't really make a bad decission. I think I've ruled out the Polo based on size, but I'm not sure. Leaning toward the tulip.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Sigh....well.....they're different.....ummm... . Okay, the Polos are very like the Chubbys, only with longer handles; same short loft, maybe not QUITE as dense, but close. The Persian Jars have considerably greater loft and are not as dense, hence, they are a more 'flexible' feeling brush. The Tulips are, in some senses, kind of inbetween. But the Tulips are available in Super only, the other two can be had in Best Badger as well. With the shorter lofted models, like the Chubby, I definately prefer the Best Badger. With the Persian Jars, I'm not sure....with that one I might go with Super. The PJ3 Best that I have doesn't feel that much firmer then a Vufix Super, if you want the truth. Admittedly, the speciman I have has a tad more loft then some of them do.
Regards,
Gordon
MOSES

Post by MOSES »

I think it really depends on what you are looking for. Gordon confirms my understanding that the Polo is pretty much like the Chubby, except longer in handle. (Btw, you mentioned ruling it out based on size? Do you mean that you don't like the long handle? Because it is available in a huge range of sizes. More, I think, than any other Simpsons brush, except maybe the Harvard.)

The PJ is definitely longer than the Chubby, and thus more flexible, given the same hair. I have a two band PJ3, and because of the stiffer hair, it comes out to about the same firmness as my three band Chubby 2 Super. But different. Since the firmness comes more from stiffer hair, rather than short, dense loft, it is a little bit scrubbier. For the sake of variety from what you have, I would probably suggest either a T or PJ in Super. And probably, if you like a brush a little on the scrubby side, have Lee or Em select a two banded one for you.

As for the T v. PJ. The T is super only, but if you are getting Super anyway, that doesn't matter. I briefly had a T3 and PJ3 both in two band super, and literally, I basically couldn't tell the difference in the knots. I think there is a little variability, though, so the average T may be a little shorter than the average PJ. Honestly, I'm thinking the difference is small enough to pick based on the handle you like better. I like the look of the Tulip better, but the PJ fits my hand like a glove, so that's what I went with.

-Mo
Alrighty, stickim up and hand over the Coates real nice and slow like....