Looking to get some Cologne

What kind of fragrances do you prefer?
doleeo

Looking to get some Cologne

Post by doleeo »

I've decided that I need a couple of bottles of good colognes. How should I go about doing this? Any places I should get samples from? Is there any decent department store colognes I should take a whiff of?
-Ethan
nodaktim
The Prodigal Tim

Post by nodaktim »

Ethan,

Have you seen this thread yet??
For Those Interested in Snagging A Trumpers Sample Pack

The Trumper's sample pack includes 6 different colognes.

or what about this thread...
Penhaligons AD support*

The Penhaligon's 'Scent Library' includes 5 men's and 5 ladies fragrances.

Floris of London also provides samples, but you will have to email them.

* = click on links provided
~ Tim ~

"Always do right. That will gratify some of the people, and astonish the rest." - Mark Twain
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Ethan, This is a potentially massive topic that could go almost anywhere. I'm going to keep this simple ( for me, and hopefully for you as well ). No, I don't think that American dept. stores today are a very fruitful place to be looking for real quality men's cologne. You could spend months ( and a lot of money ) rooting around with most of that stuff. Just contact Geo. F. Trumper via email and request samples of as many of their colognes as they're willing to send you. Just leave it at that. When they arrive, see what appeals, and then we can go from there.
Regards,
Gordon
Hoos

Post by Hoos »

You can certainly try some of the colognes in department stores.

I know Nordstrom carries some of the better lines like Truefitt & Hill, Burbery, Creed, and Issey Miyake. I generally avoid "newer" scents.

For samples, in addition to the ones Tim mentions, The Perfumed Court's Samples Pages has plenty to choose from, prices are reasonable, and a few other folks here have ordered from them.
Brent
Tondeo ergo sum.
doleeo

Post by doleeo »

bernards66 wrote:Just contact Geo. F. Trumper via email and request samples of as many of their colognes as they're willing to send you. Just leave it at that.

Email sent. Thanks for the advice.
nodaktim wrote:The Penhaligon's 'Scent Library' includes 5 men's and 5 ladies fragrances.

Floris of London also provides samples, but you will have to email them.
I'm going to look into the Penhaligons Scent Library and contact Floris for some samples. Thanks.
Hoos wrote:For samples, in addition to the ones Tim mentions, The Perfumed Court's Samples Pages has plenty to choose from, prices are reasonable, and a few other folks here have ordered from them.

Boy, do they have a lot to choose from. I don't even know where to begin.

I'm really just looking to end up with 2 or 3 different scents. The only current cologne I have is Lacoste which is terribly synthetic to my nose.
-Ethan
nodaktim
The Prodigal Tim

Post by nodaktim »

Ethan,

Trumper's is just going to tell you to go here...

http://www.trumpers.com/

Go to their search and type in 'sample'. This will bring you where you can add the sample pack to your 'basket'. It cost £4.00 and that is just to cover the shipping, because the samples themselves are free.
~ Tim ~

"Always do right. That will gratify some of the people, and astonish the rest." - Mark Twain
NiksaNovovic

Post by NiksaNovovic »

Ethan, in regards to The Perfumed Court I would get any of the introductory sampler sets and one with as many different colognes that you can afford. The one I got is the Niche and Classic sampler by classification which can be found here http://theperfumedcourt.com/Products/Ni ... MPLER.aspx
Another good choice would be here http://theperfumedcourt.com/Products/Ni ... INNER.aspx
Good luck with your search, I hope that yours is easier than mine as I am in the same boat.

Warmest regards, Niksa
drumana

Post by drumana »

I'll second the notion of contacting Trumpers for a cheap sampler pack. . . also email Floris - they sent me one for free. No such luck (I tried) with Penhaligon's but they do have samplers to purchase on the website. . .
-Andrew-
nodaktim
The Prodigal Tim

Post by nodaktim »

drumana wrote:I'll second the notion of contacting Trumpers for a cheap sampler pack. . . also email Floris - they sent me one for free. No such luck (I tried) with Penhaligon's but they do have samplers to purchase on the website. . .
Andrew, can you provide the link to Floris and where to email them please??
~ Tim ~

MiloFinch

Post by MiloFinch »

I recently delved into the world of colognes as well.

Yesterday I got in my Caswell and Massey Sampler. I thought it might be a nice place to start. $20 for 5 .16oz (about 5ml) samples.

I have to say, I really like all of the scents out of the bottle and look forward to trying them out. I wore Tricorn today, and have never felt so refined and classy, and the compliments didn't hurt :wink:.

Also have the a few more samples for various places in the mail.

Good luck.
-David
Now go and watch Raiders.
drumana

Post by drumana »

nodaktim wrote:
drumana wrote:I'll second the notion of contacting Trumpers for a cheap sampler pack. . . also email Floris - they sent me one for free. No such luck (I tried) with Penhaligon's but they do have samplers to purchase on the website. . .
Andrew, can you provide the link to Floris and where to email them please??
www.florislondon.com

scroll down and click on 'contact us' then click the email link
-Andrew-
the_prince

Re: Looking to get some Cologne

Post by the_prince »

doleeo wrote:I've decided that I need a couple of bottles of good colognes. How should I go about doing this? Any places I should get samples from? Is there any decent department store colognes I should take a whiff of?
There are a few designer fragrances which I think are worth testing. I quite like Mugler cologne (can't stand the rest of the Mugler range), it is green and fresh and has great longevity and silage. Hermes produces some nice male scents, especially Terre and Vetiver-Tonka. Guerlain's men's fragrances are well worth trying, especially Vetiver, Habit Rouge and Heritage. Ungaro III is a great fragrance that you should try if you find it.

For more mainstream scents, I find Gucci Envy and Givency Pi to be acceptable, although I would never buy either.
Best Regards,
Sami