Lime Fans

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
jvan
Mr. Vintage Himself

Lime Fans

Post by jvan »

Between my Trumpers Limes and Taylor's Lemon lime I am about to run out of each and will be in need of new stock. I am curious to know if anyone thinks that there are other Lime family creams I should be giving a try. I do prefer a stronger scent in my Limes creams. Thanks.

John
John V
"What one relishes, nourishes"

Benjamin Franklin
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

ive heard Castle forbes is the lime scent to have.
truefit is a nice one, but it is not a pure lime, i dont think

sam
JackieMartling

Post by JackieMartling »

I have used Trumpers lime, Coate's lime and Castle Forbes lime. Coate's and CF both use essential oil for their scent, and are thus rather pure. CF is easily the strongest of the three, very intense and zingy, and also very natural. Trumpers is mellower in comparison - fresh and "friendly," but not as intense or purely natural smelling. Coate's is simpler than Trumpers, very natural, but also a little more subdued, one might even say austere. It is a good cream, but probably not as pleasing scent-wise as either Trumpers or CF.
Cliff

Post by Cliff »

Castle Forbes lime is so strong you'll want to put it into your gin & tonic. Of course, that would make it slide down too quickly.
Kent Frazier

Post by Kent Frazier »

I would also have to vote for the Castle Forbes. I've only tried a sample of the Taylor Lemon & Lime shave cream and then today the Castle Forbes Lime. The Castle Forbes was thicker than other creams (samples) I've used so far. In fact I thought it may have been dehydrated. It reminded me of vegetable shortening. Within a few swirls of my brush, the cream EXPLODED in lather and the scent of fresh squeezed limes.

I have yet to buy any creams, but Castle Forbes is now number one on my list.

Kent
JackieMartling

Post by JackieMartling »

Kent, this is what I've been saying about Castle Forbes creams, both the lime and the lavender. The lathering quality is fantastic (it really does "explode," doesn't it?), and the scents wonderful. I have yet to find a brand that surpasses it. It is among the most expensive creams on the market, but boy is it nice stuff.
JackieMartling

Post by JackieMartling »

Chris, I use the CF lime much less often than the lavender, so I am basing a lot of what I say about CF in general on my results with the lavender. However, my experience with the lime is that it still yields a great lather. It has been a while since I've used it, so I will need to revisit it to see if I am remembering correctly. I'll let you know what I find out. (Note to self: Castle Forbes lime tomorrow.)
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

well, i have the QED lavendar shave stick and the taylor lavendar cream. were one to get another lavendar, what would be your preference, either cream or soap. i like both of what i had, but if i had to pick, the taylor

sam
JackieMartling

Post by JackieMartling »

Sam,

Right now, I would recommend the Castle Forbes lavender. Quality wise, it is unbeatable - at least I have yet to try a cream that beats it. Scent wise, how great it is depends on your preference. I love it, because it is a very fresh, natural, plant-like lavender scent, since they use only high-quality lavender essential oil to scent it. If you are familiar Art of Shaving lavender cream, then you have an idea, since CF is in the same vein, only better. Taylor's lavender uses a traditional English lavender fragrance, which is quite different from a natural, EO scent. Some who like more traditionally fragranced creams find EO creams too boring or unsophisticated (one person used the word "plebeian"). I don't know if you fall into that category, but since you like Taylor's lavender, you should know that CF is very different. One other thing to keep in mind: our friend on the blog has just started a buzz about Harris lavender, claiming it is the best of the best, at least as far as lavender creams go. I have no idea if he has tried CF, which I think is the best of the best, and since I have not tried Harris lavender, I cannot compare the two. But it may be something you want to try, or at least consider. I will be able to offer my two cents in a little while, since I just ordered some.

Sorry to hijack the thread.
Last edited by JackieMartling on Wed Sep 21, 2005 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

John, If you are fond of Trumper's Limes shave cream ( and I know that you are ), but you'd like to try another, I suggest Coate's. In the pots, if the cream is 'fresh' the texture is similiar to Trumpers. In the tubes, it is a little less dense, but it still lathers and shaves excellently. As Nathan said, the scent of the Coate's is a little different. A tad sharper, a tad more purely 'lime'. It's a very fine shave cream, and the only lime cream that is, IMO, entirely in the same league as Trumpers. Regarding Castle Forbes; the scent is very nice also, but, I,like Chris, found it a bit challenging to lather well, and it is the only lime cream I've ever tried that significently dried out my skin. It's a good product, but personally, I prefer the Coate's. Regards, Gordon
rtaylor61
Old Spice

Post by rtaylor61 »

Gordon,

Thanks for posting this. I have a tube of Coates Lime that I have pretty much ignored. I think it will be a part of Friday's shave (I already have tomorrow's set out)!

Randy
"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." J. B. Books
JackieMartling

Post by JackieMartling »

Chris and Gordon,

I tried the CF lime again today, using my BK8. It yielded a thick, rich lather, although I admittedly used a fair helping of cream to get there. I'm not sure if the lather is any better than Trumpers, but it is in the same league. I don't really know why you find it to be thinner than what I'm experiencing, unless we're using different amounts of cream. Still, I'm not using any more CF than I use of Trumpers to get the same results.
alchemist

Post by alchemist »

Evening gentleman

I was recently in Singapore and my cousin had a batch of Old Spice shave creams (roughly 2.5 oz tubes) in Original, Musk and Fresh Lime scents. They were made in India and purchased there for roughly $0.80 per tube. I didn't favor the Original or the Musk but The Fresh Lime is excellent. It has a clean yet tart and potent scent, and reminds me of the Fresh Lime Sodas we were drinking throughout our trip. It lathers up nicely and provides good lubrication. It lists key ingredients as Boric acid and Glycerine, and is manufactured in Goa, a lovely beach resort in southern India.

Why on earth Old Spice don't market this in America is beyond me. They have a loyal following here and abroad and the Limes scent would be a nice fresh addition to their stable.

[img]

Regards,
Mahesh
JackieMartling

Post by JackieMartling »

Old Spice used to market a lime aftershave in the states. It got yanked in the early nineties. It was easily my favorite of any fragrance you could commonly buy in a drug store. I guess it didn't sell that well. Pity. The closest thing to it nowadays is Caswell-Massey lime, which is also good stuff. Still, I wish the Old Spice lime was still available. I never saw it in a shave cream, but the fact that the cream is selling in Singapore makes me wonder if the lime aftershave is available there, too.
alchemist

Post by alchemist »

Actually it is manufactured and sold in India; my cousin just happens to live in Singapore, where i met him.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Nathan, I didn't say it was 'thinner', only that it was a tad challenging, to get it lathered up properly. It took a bit more 'work' as it were. The stuff that I had was a VERY dense cream, and that was doubtless part of it. It did noticeably dry out my skin, which other lime creams do not. Regards, Gordon
JackieMartling

Post by JackieMartling »

Sorry, Gordon. I got a bit confused. Indeed, you did not say it was thinner, only that you agreed with Chris, who did say it was thinner. I inadvertently lumped your two opinions together. I completely agree with you about working the lather. CF is extremely dense, and requires a fair amount of elbow grease to lather well, although the results are worth it, in my opinion. Even my lime tub, which is of a much lighter consistency than the lavender (because I think my lavender is dehydrated) takes some work. The lavender is really tough, but lathers wonderfully all the same. I can also understand why the lime dries your skin out. There is a LOT of lime oil in there, which is a known astringent.

Again, sorry to have misrepresented what you said.
JackieMartling

Post by JackieMartling »

alchemist wrote:Actually it is manufactured and sold in India; my cousin just happens to live in Singapore, where i met him.
India, Singapore... either way I'm not able to get it here. Bummer.
kix500

Post by kix500 »

Does anyone know how/where one could import the Old Spice Lime shaving cream from overseas?

KIX
designwise1

Trumper Lime vs. Truefitt Lime

Post by designwise1 »

Does the first whiff of T&H Lime almost choke anyone else? Maybe I'm missing something since this is only the sample size. However, so far I prefer Trumper's version of this scent.
I can't complain about the shave--excellent. But then, so is Trumper.
Gerald Martin