For all the SMF soapers out there...

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
javyn

For all the SMF soapers out there...

Post by javyn »

I have a question...

I am running dangerously low on the stockpile I had of Will G's shea butter shaving soaps that I had stocked up on right before his passing.

I was wondering whose soaps come the closest to his shea butter formulation, as I found them to be the best shaving soaps I have ever tried, hands down. Thanks.
John
Scrapyard Ape

Post by Scrapyard Ape »

Shhh.... you hear that? That low rumble is the approaching stampede of Fatsos/Woolies/Fatboys/Mitchmen. You see, any type of "recommend a soap" message sets them off. Be prepared to be trampled. heh heh. :mrgreen:
~Greg
drumana

Post by drumana »

:lol: Haha. . . and here I am - a certified Fatso. . . yet, I'm not sure I'd recommend MWF/Kent because, to my knowledge, it doesn't have shea butter as an ingredient. . .

Have you tried Institute Karite? I hear good things about this one and it has shea butter content.
-Andrew-
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

What are you after? Something with shea butter, or something with similar overall feel and performance?
fn2shave

Post by fn2shave »

Van Der Hagen at Walmart has shea butter
Mmmm! Goddamn, Jimmie! This is some serious gourmet s**t! Usually, me and Vince would be happy with some freeze-dried Taster's Choice right, but he springs this serious GOURMET s**t on us! What flavor is this?
Hoos

Post by Hoos »

It might help if we had a little more info. Like how much shea butter are we talking about per puck?

Honeybee Spa offers a nice variety of shea butter shaving soaps. I've been very happy with them (have used both their lime and coffee mocha). But I have no idea of shea content.
Brent
Tondeo ergo sum.
javyn

Post by javyn »

No, I want something made by one of the wonderful soapmakers present on SMF.

I don't want KMF, or Mitchell's, or anything else, I want Will G's shea butter formula.

If I remember correctly, sometime last year, or perhaps before, Sue, or another one of our soapers was working on attempting to clone this wonderful soap.

For anyone interested, I believe Joel at B&B did a review of it a time back. Quite frankly, every soap and cream has disappointed me after using Will G.
John
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

John I was about to suggest you contact Sue, she has demonstrated a willingness to help in the past.
Regards,
Squire
Leisureguy

Post by Leisureguy »

"Sue" is a little ambiguous. That could be:

SaintCharlesShave Sue
Honeybee Spa Sue
Mama Bear Sue

But why not contact them all?
javyn

Post by javyn »

Dear Lord so many Sues who make soaps! Thanks I'll try them all!
John
ingrownwarrior

Post by ingrownwarrior »

javyn wrote:Dear Lord so many Sues who make soaps! Thanks I'll try them all!
Please update us with what you find. I'm interested as well...
Issac
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Yes, there are more than one but from conversations with John in the past I assumed he and I were referring to the same lady.
Regards,
Squire
Dave_D

Post by Dave_D »

Legend has it that the Honeybee Spa soaps were used by Will G at some point, but that is only what I can remember reading on forum lore. Having used Honeybee Spa's soaps (but not Will G's) I can vouch for their great quality, and great price.

Dave
rtaylor61
Old Spice

Post by rtaylor61 »

Send Mama Bear Sue a pm and ask her if she has any offerings that would work. Tell her I sent you. :roll:

Randy
"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." J. B. Books
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Scrapyard Ape wrote:Shhh.... you hear that? That low rumble is the approaching stampede of Fatsos/Woolies/Fatboys/Mitchmen. You see, any type of "recommend a soap" message sets them off. Be prepared to be trampled. heh heh. :mrgreen:
So - at least I gave it a couple of days before I recommend ...... you guessed it -- Mitchell's Woolfat. And if you get it with the ceramic dish, you gotta keep it protected or risk certain heartbreak.

http://www.shavemyface.com/forum/viewto ... 410#304410
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Bargepole
Beam me up Scotty

Post by Bargepole »

Why is nobody recommending Mitchell's Wool Fat to the poor guy?
Michael

People say it's never too late. How wrong they are. --Felix Dennis
sebell

Post by sebell »

Michael -- as soon as you see a post from Wendell you
know that it's been recommended ;)

- Scott
ScottS

Post by ScottS »

Bargepole wrote:Why is nobody recommending Mitchell's Wool Fat to the poor guy?
javyn wrote:I don't want KMF, or Mitchell's, or anything else, I want Will G's shea butter formula.