Exceptional lavender shaving cream

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
water

Post by water »

I have just finished up a sample of T&H Lavender cream that I thought was excellent.

It had an almost "smoky" scent. My wife did not like it much and thought it did not smell much like Lavender. I, on the other hand, thought it was a very masculine take on Lavender. Probably my favourite right behind Trumper Sandalwood soap.

I am preparing to order a pot having liked it so much. Does anyone else out there get that "smoky", "earthy" scent from it?
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

The scent I get from lavender creams is herbal with sometimes earthy and/or floral touches. I am somewhat neutral about lavender and the only cream I really liked was Coates but that may have been for its performance more than its scent. I do use the Harris lavender soap but its scent is slight.
Regards,
Squire
xChris

Post by xChris »

Leisureguy wrote:The current jar is 3.5" in diameter, 1.5" high, and is filled to the brim: 14.4 cu in., or (since 1 cu in = 0.554112552 US fluid ounces) about 8 fl. oz., or 1 US cup. The shaving cream is reasonably firm, not "fluffy," so I can twirl the brush in the jar to load it with the shaving cream.
100ml is usually equated to ~3 1/4 fl oz. Google gave these values for volume and weight respectively--

125 milliliters = 4.22675282 US fluid ounces
125 grams = 4.40924524 ounces

In any case, he's not far off from the industy "standards," as everyone has related. I haven't got a chance to try out his creams, but I have always liked his soaps; ah well, more to add to the wish list. :D
Chris
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

James, I have to admit that I don't, although I certainly agree on it ( the T&H Lavender shave cream ), as being a fine masculine version of 'lavender'. I mostly get the classic herbally crisp sort of scent that I associate with English Lavender. To me, it smells pretty similiar to my beloved Coate's version.
Regards,
Gordon
yotwo66

Post by yotwo66 »

Dang it! I told myself I was set for awhile! Must resist.....Don't need to buy.... anymore stuff....... for at least a month.....great shaves with what I've got...... Aaaarrghh!
Little old Sal was an old gal, as anyone can see/lookin' at how she's a go-gal, who only goes for me!
northadams
Mad Max

Post by northadams »

Very different ingredient list than the Coates, CF, and Shaving Gallery creams in my rotation but....I love it! Great lather & muted scents in the lavender, violet & rose. This Tryphon gent appears to have a winner here.

Max
Leisureguy

Post by Leisureguy »

He just posted on his message board photos of the shades of lavender shaving creams, including what is left of his 25-year-old sample of TOBS Lavender, the fragrance he was trying to match (the floral rather than medicinal lavender of today's TOBS).
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Michael, Personally, I doubt that that older pot of Taylors Lavender is all that old. I bought pots that looked just like that a few years ago, and in the Edition #18 of the Taylors catalogue that I got around 2000 the price is the same as is on that pot. By the #21 catalogue of a couple years later, it had only gone up to 5.95 GBP. I really don't think that their price did not increase between 1985 and around 2000. The scent of the Taylors Lavender cream is a little different today then it was a few years ago, it's true. Until those alterations that they did around 2005, it smelled more like the Coate's or T&H Lavender creams. Now they use only lavender EO suppossedly, so the scent is closer to Castle Forbes or AOS.
Regards,
Gordon
Austin
Don't mess with Texas!

Post by Austin »

Personally, I like the sharp (medicinal scent) in lavender shave creams.
PottyDoctor

Post by PottyDoctor »

Austin wrote:Personally, I like the sharp (medicinal scent) in lavender shave creams.
I didn't realize it was called a 'sharp medicinal scent', but whatever you call it...I like it!!! I call it a 'spicy, herbaceous scent'.

But I guess I do like 'medicinal', because I am a 'tea tree' lover and many folks describe it as 'medicinal'.
Happy Shaving,

Ron

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. It's the way you deal with it that makes the difference!" -- Virginia Satir
Winzzy

Post by Winzzy »

I can vouch for the quality of the Tryphon creams. They are my top performing creams (I have tried or own all three Ts plus others). When you consider the performance plus the cost it is a home run. The other thing I have noticed is that they are very dense creams so I tend to use less than with others but still get a very full rich lather.

As an aside the only other cream I have found to be as good for my face and shaving needs is Nancy Boy.
-Tim
Leisureguy

Post by Leisureguy »

I assumed that quite a few liked the fragrance (medicinal? sharp? spicy? herbaceous?) of the lavender of Castle Forbes, TOBS, and the like---else they would not continue to make it. It's just displeasing to me---I like the floral rich fragrance of the Tryphon Lavender, and others may not. I just mentioned the whole thing in case there were others dissatisfied with TOBS, CF, etc., lavender. I imagine that, as in so many aspects of shaving, what is pleasing to some shaves is not so pleasing to others.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Well, if the Tryphon Lavender does, in fact, smell more like the Taylors of a few years ago, as the above post & pictures seem to suggest, then it should also smell quite a bit like the old Coate's and the current T&H, as they were very similiar.
Regards,
Gordon
Baloosh

Post by Baloosh »

Ah, Gordon -- but therein lies the rub, no?

Coates is no longer available, unless you have access to a super-secret stash, or stumble into a small stock at a Mom and Pop pharmacy, etc. And T&H is considerably more expensive per gram/per ounce than the Tryphon creams. I guess it comes down to how does the Tryphon cream perform... on par with the T&H? On par with the Coates?
Jason

Post by PottyDoctor »

Leisureguy wrote:I assumed that quite a few liked the fragrance (medicinal? sharp? spicy? herbaceous?) of the lavender of Castle Forbes, TOBS, and the like---else they would not continue to make it. It's just displeasing to me---I like the floral rich fragrance of the Tryphon Lavender, and others may not. I just mentioned the whole thing in case there were others dissatisfied with TOBS, CF, etc., lavender. I imagine that, as in so many aspects of shaving, what is pleasing to some shaves is not so pleasing to others.
Thanks Michael. I still plan to order the Tryphon Lavender because I haven't really found a Lavender I didn't like. Even the floral scent sounds good to me...a little variety never hurt anyone!
Happy Shaving,

Ron

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. It's the way you deal with it that makes the difference!" -- Virginia Satir
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Jason, Yeah, provided that the Tryphon stuff does actually smell similiar to those, then it would come down to how one perceived it's performance. From the above posts, it's clear that while it's not overly pricey, it's not all that inexpensive either. I still have some of the Coate's and some T&H Lavender around. When those finally give out, my intention is to probably try some of the newer Taylors, which I've never actually used. If I, for some reason, I have a problem with that, I'll cough up the extra cash for some more T&H, as I like it a good deal.
Regards,
Gordon
Winzzy

Post by Winzzy »

bernards66 wrote:Jason, Yeah, provided that the Tryphon stuff does actually smell similiar to those, then it would come down to how one perceived it's performance. From the above posts, it's clear that while it's not overly pricey, it's not all that inexpensive either. I still have some of the Coate's and some T&H Lavender around. When those finally give out, my intention is to probably try some of the newer Taylors, which I've never actually used. If I, for some reason, I have a problem with that, I'll cough up the extra cash for some more T&H, as I like it a good deal.
Regards,
Gordon
Gordan,

You should give the Tryphon Cream a try you may really like it and it is only ten bucks. One thing you arn't factoring in the price ratio is how long one ounce of cream lasts. I have found that the Tryphon creams seem to last much longer than my taylors. That could be phrased better saying that it takes me less Tryphon cream to get the same lather as I would get from Taylors, but I find the Tryphon lather is thicker and more dense providing more cushion (though not as slick as nancy boy). I have not been able to try coates as of yet though.

Anyways I would suggest you buy a jar for $10 then you would no longer have to guess how i might perform but would know first hand. I like the stuff and find it a good deal.
-Tim
Austin
Don't mess with Texas!

Post by Austin »

Is the cream as thick as Castle Forbes? I use less CF cream due to the density of the cream.
Leisureguy

Post by Leisureguy »

Tryphon is thicker than CF.
Baloosh

Post by Baloosh »

Leisureguy wrote:Tryphon is thicker than CF.
Wow... you must have some thick Tryphon cream.

I have both CF Lavender and Tryphon Sandalwood cream, and although my Tryphon is thicker than any Taylor's or Trumper's or T&H I own, it's not as thick as my CF. It's somewhere in between, but definitely thick and dense.
Jason