Yardley English Lavender Soap

Ok, so we've got shaving all taken care of but what about that hair and the rest of your face? Get the low down on shampoo's, conditioners, finishers, cleansers, toners and moisturizers right here!
The Truthinator

Yardley English Lavender Soap

Post by The Truthinator »

How do I know which is the American and which is the English version?
Is this the English verison? I know it says English Lavender but I read on this very board that this doesn't mean anything.

rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

That is the English version.
Richard
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

Richard
The Truthinator

Thanks, Richard. The soap is bought then.
Big Ren
The Toronto Kid

Post by Big Ren »

Truthinator,

The soap in the the picture you posted above is commonly referred to here as the "English Made" Yardley as opposed to the "American Made" stuff which comes in plainer packaging and is sold at a much cheaper price. Both are good quality, but you should know that the soap in the picture above is also made in the USA, not exclusively in England.

Ren
"What I find ironic is the fact that we can talk wireless to a man on the moon but we can't talk to someone twenty feet away over a hard-wired intercom at a drive-thru!" - Pottydoctor
The Truthinator

Big Ren wrote:Truthinator,

The soap in the the picture you posted above is commonly referred to here as the "English Made" Yardley as opposed to the "American Made" stuff which comes in plainer packaging and is sold at a much cheaper price. Both are good quality, but you should know that the soap in the picture above is also made in the USA, not exclusively in England.

Ren
But the "English Made" stuff is of the same quality as the real deal or is it not? I was going to buy this from The English Scent in Berlin so I guess it would be more probable that it was really made in England. This is the picture of the soap on their website.
Big Ren
The Toronto Kid

Post by Big Ren »

The soaps that are packaged 3 per box, as in the picture above, are the more expensive line from Yardley, made either in England or the United States. Irrespective of the country of manufacture, these soaps are all top of the line.

Ren
"What I find ironic is the fact that we can talk wireless to a man on the moon but we can't talk to someone twenty feet away over a hard-wired intercom at a drive-thru!" - Pottydoctor
Nitrox
AC/DC

Post by Nitrox »

Ren is right. The only way to tell which one you're getting is to look at the back of the box.
Bruno

"Shhhhhaving cream, be nice and clean
shave every day and you'll always look keen."
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

The other version comes in a completely different package. The one in your picture is "the fancy one".

(I just bought a couple of bars of "the other one" - I haven't tried it yet, but it smells good.)
Big Ren
The Toronto Kid

Post by Big Ren »

The "other" version, as Notthesharpest calls it, which is cheaper and is referred to usually as "American Yardley", looks like this. Note the different packaging and the lower price. These are also good soaps but not the "fancy" stuff.

Ren
The Truthinator

Big Ren wrote:The "other" version, as Notthesharpest calls it, which is cheaper and is referred to usually as "American Yardley", looks like this. Note the different packaging and the lower price. These are also good soaps but not the "fancy" stuff.

Ren
Alright, thanks for confusing me and then clearing up the confusion. :D
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Yeah, the stuff that's sold at The English Scent in Berlin is almost certainly the made in England variety. I've ordered from that source in the past, and always been satisfied with the service, etc. Must be a nice shop to visit, I've always thought.
Regards,
Gordon
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Ren, Interesting that there is Yardley soap that is packaged that way, yet made in the US, since it's not sold here, even in the NYC shops. Every box like that that I have personally seen here was made in England.....EXCEPT, a number of years ago I saw some that was marked 'made in Canada'! Go figure.
Regards,
Gordon
Big Ren
The Toronto Kid

Post by Big Ren »

Gordon,

Yeah, it's all really confusing, like we've discovered with so many other toiletry products. I discovered this quite by accident when I noticed identical boxes on the same drugstore shelf, some marked "Made in England" and others "Made in the USA". No real biggie really, as the soaps and packaging are identical, but it's now a bit of a misnomer to refer to these soaps as "English Yardley" when some of them are actually made in the US. To add to the confusion, Yardley seems to have redesigned their website ( for the worse, IMO ). Looks like the soaps that are discussed in this very thread are now being packaged differently. Have a look:

http://www.yardleyonline.co.uk/ENGLISH- ... /p-72-127/

Ren
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Ren, Jeez!.....indeed they have. Okay, I can understand that they might change their packaging; there was the issue of the expired Warrant from the Queen Mum, afterall, anyway. But my God!, what's happened to all their other lines?....and the colognes in general?....and the Men's ranges? Good grief!...is what's on that tacky little website really all that there is now?!
Regards,
Gordon
Big Ren
The Toronto Kid

Post by Big Ren »

Indeed, it looks like they've redone their packaging on account of the expired Royal Warrant. But the new website is only a fraction of what it once was, with many of the ranges completely absent. Something's very off. This doesn't add up.

Ren
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Ren, No, it really doesn't.....it's too extreme. Four fifths of their products gone in one fell swoop?! Unless it's a merciless 'rationalizing' of the 'brand' by their corporate overlords. Only the VERY best selling stuff stays! ( said with a hiss and chop of the hand ). Jeez....I hope not.
Regards,
Gordon
Big Ren
The Toronto Kid

Post by Big Ren »

And if I haven't already created enough confusion in this thread about Yardley, here's some more. On a new box of Sandalwood Soap that I bought at Christmas, there are 2 Royal Warrants on the box: The Queen's and The Queen Mother's, without a third warrant from The Prince of Wales. Do you know if Prince Charles' warrant was issued recently?

Edit: Here's a picture I snagged from Rustyblade without permission:

Ren
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Ren, Well.....yes.....sort of. But it was still a number of years ago, now. That must be some pretty old stock, or at least old packaging.
Regards,
Gordon
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Ren is that Arabic script on the lower right corner of the box.
Regards,
Squire