Taylor and Hot Weather Scents Recs.

What kind of fragrances do you prefer?
RJ

Taylor and Hot Weather Scents Recs.

Post by RJ »

Looking for an everyday hot weather scent. Searching the forum I keep coming across Taylor 74 as a long lasting lime scent. What is the difference between the orginal 74 and the 74 Victorian Limes.

Also, I asked, but they wouldn't send me any samples. What's up with that? I may try again. Anyone know of a place in Florida that sells Taylor? How does this lime fragrance compare to C&E West Indian lime.

Also, are Mr. Taylor and St. James hot weather or cooler weather scents.

For some reason I have been wanting to try something from TOBS. Of the ones mentioned above which would be the best to try.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Whoops, missed this thread while replying to your other one. Taylor is both more subtle and more complex than C&E which is a straight forward line much in the way of Royal Lyme. Don't know where in FL you might sample it but if you send me an empty clean vial that hasn't contained any scent I'll be glad to return you a sample.
Regards,
Squire
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

I haven't used the cologne before, but have used the Mr. Taylor's cream, and I would say it isn't so heavy as to be only for winter or something. Worth a try.
levente

Post by levente »

RJ,

I've never tried the St. James Cologne, but the Mr. Taylor's is definitely a winter scent for me. I personally wouldn't think of wearing it in the summertime in Florida. It has been too long since I smelled the No. 74 and the Victorian Limes to give a good description, but they smell nothing alike. The No. 74 is, to be kind, an acquired taste, while the Victorian Limes is a much easier recommendation. Other fine summer scents include the classic Guerlain eau de colognes such as Imperial and Eau de Coq, Parfums de Nicolai's Cologne Sologne, Dior's Eau Sauvage, Annick Goutal's Eau d'Hadrian and Eau de Sud, Givenchy's Monsieur Givenchy, Hermes' Eau d'Orange Verte, Caswell-Massey's No.6 and Verbena, Eau de Rochas Pour Homme. and Ricci's Signoricci, off the top of my head. If you like vetivers, that is a category unto itself. No doubt other members will chime in and give their favorite (English) scents. Some that are very good include Penhaligon's Blenheim Bouquet, Floris' Special No. 127 and the Trumper eau de colognes (GFT and the like).

Regards,
Basil
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

levente wrote:RJ,

I've never tried the St. James Cologne, but the Mr. Taylor's is definitely a winter scent for me. I personally wouldn't think of wearing it in the summertime in Florida.
I'm from a cooler climate, and didn't notice the "Florida". My mistake. (And you now have information from someone who actually knows what he's talking about, instead of me.) :)
RJ

Post by RJ »

Thanks for the info guys. Squire, if I can find an empty vial I may take you up on that. Basil, thanks for overwhelming me with choices in such a succinct post! I have also been interested in the Caswell Massey No. 6 but I have no idea where to start looking for that. (The WWW I guess!)

I am interested in a citrusy smell so either the Taylor Limes or the CM#6 or both will probably eventually end up on my shelf. I am also on the search for a fresh maybe soapy clean type of smell. Any thoughts on what to look for? Not really sure what vetivers are so maybe those will interest me as well. Any input is greatly appreciated.
Big Swifty

Post by Big Swifty »

RJ,
I'm not too sure about the regular No.74 but the limes is absolutely fantastic in the hot muggy days that I'm sure you are used to in Florida. I also like to orangey fresh smell of the number six. If you are looking to order some try going straight to the source.
~Steve

~proponent of a strong salvation army, born again Calvinist, cunning linguist, flaming heterosexual

"Life is too short to drink shitty beer"
levente

Post by levente »

RJ,

Caswell-Massey has a website, as well as some brick and mortar stores, though not sure if there are any in your neighborhood. Another citrus that I forgot to mention that is a must-try is Acqua di Parma's Colonia. Fresh, soapy scents? Well, one of the Trumper's, and I can't recall if it's either Astor or Marlborough, might fit the bill. On the more modern side, Paco Rabanne PH is a more recent scent, but definitely not for the summer heat. Mugler Cologne is a contemporary scent that was formulated to have a soapy smell, so you might like that, though I would try before I buy on that one. That should get you started.

Regards,
Basil
Last edited by levente on Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Truthinator

Post by The Truthinator »

RJ wrote:I am interested in a citrusy smell so either the Taylor Limes or the CM#6 or both will probably eventually end up on my shelf. I am also on the search for a fresh maybe soapy clean type of smell. Any thoughts on what to look for? Not really sure what vetivers are so maybe those will interest me as well. Any input is greatly appreciated.
You should definitely check out Acqua di Parma. It starts off with a fresh citrus scent and dries down to something more sweet and subtle. It is very nice and THE scent for the summer IMHO.
RJ

Post by RJ »

It turns out Caswell-Massey does have a store just down the road in Palm Beach. Actually, the girls at work got me a barbershop royal shave for Christmas very close by, so I guess I will make a morning of it!

I have a sample of Acqua di Parma Aftershave that came with another order. I thought it was the cologne and put some on my wrist and behind the ears. It smelled good, but very faint. Other than the faintness, I really liked it. Is the cologne very long lasting? If so, it goes to the top of my must try list for the summer, along with CM#6 and TOBS Limes.
RJ

Post by RJ »

Aqua di Parma appears to have a few different product lines. they have their colonia (for men and women), colonia assoluta (men and women), and colonia intensa (men). The sample I have is of the colonia. Basil and Truthinator, which one are you referring to?
levente

Post by levente »

RJ,

I'm referring to the Colonia. I've tried the Assoluta, which is a recent update to make the scent last longer, but I prefer the original Colonia. You may feel differently. The Intensa is a very recent introduction, and I have yet to smell it, hence can't comment. I've never worn any of the aftershaves, either, but the Colonia lasts decently for a scent of its type, and better than most.

Regards,
Basil
The Truthinator

Post by The Truthinator »

levente wrote:I'm referring to the Colonia.
Me too.
BlankTim

Post by BlankTim »

:shock: CM#6 is Citrus-y?
I thought it was sandlewood/floral

I've never tried it, I just thought thats what it is.

I may have to try it now :lol:
-Tim
...So I lathered him with me shillelagh...
DEF

Post by DEF »

To me, CM No. 6 is predominantly orange, with some spices (I get clove) and subtle herbal aromatics. I don't get floral, and if there are any woods, they are very light and buried in the blend. I may be weird to think so, but if you're familiar with Bigelow's Constant Comment tea, I find some similarities in aroma. At least... if No. 6 were a tea, that would be the one.

I find something "soapy" about neroli, which is bitter orange blossom essence. Penhaligon's Castile blends neroli and rose, is very clean and fresh, and reminds me of a classy perfumed soap; you need to be comfortable with floral, however. Roger & Gallet Extra Vieille is a light eau de cologne formula that contains neroli. Trumper's Eau de Cologne is another good one.

I've thinned out my collection quite a bit lately, and I've kept CM No. 6 and Penhaligon's English Fern as my warm weather scents.

Regards,
Doug
BlankTim

Post by BlankTim »

Mmmmmm, I love Constant Comment.

The Tea.

Not making them. :oops:

:lol:
-Tim
...So I lathered him with me shillelagh...