Gillette 7 O'clock Review

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
Gene

Post by Gene »

Yeah - that's them!
Gene

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress."
Mark Twain

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Alan Moore
dridiot

Post by dridiot »

Hi all,

The ones that I am selling (green packaging) could be different from Squire's one because mine says Super Stainless, but they are from the same factory. I believed these (green) to be stainless steel blades without any platinum or chrome coating. I am no expert in these and I also have not tried the Sharp Edge, so I will not know the difference.

FWIW, what fit one might not fit others. Take myself, for example, my face seems to prefer Wilkinson Sword Germans for some reason. Feathers Platinums and Gillette Platinums tore my face up as they are a tad too sharp. They seems to take a little too much skin off my face per shave.

Also, I have found KAI blades to be very good and sharp.
http://www.shavemyface.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=28388

Those interested can contact me thru pm.

Regards to all,
Jason
Last edited by dridiot on Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

Jason, thanks for the post. I believe I saw in your thread that Squire either inquired about or ordered some of the Super Stainless 7 o'clocks. Squire?

Good day,
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
Gene

Post by Gene »

Now THAT might be an interesting sampler pack:

5 of each style of the 7 O'clock
5 Feather
5 Kai

1 tourniquet
Gene

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress."
Mark Twain

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Alan Moore
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Guys I have to emphasize this, these are different brands made by different companies.

7 O'clock is made by Gillette in Russia and come in a yellow box.

7am are made in Bangladesh by a company whose name I can't pronounce and come in a green box.

The yellow box is world class and the green box is not.
Regards,
Squire
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

Right, Squire, 7am is different, but we're talking about two different 7 O'Clocks. One is Super Stainless (http://www.shavemyface.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27933) and the other is Sharp Edge (which you reviewed).

Regards,
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Only here could such a discussion occur, shades of HMW and Manchurian, this is what I'm talking about.

Gordon, Marc and others who tried a 7 O'clock in the green box be advised my glowing report is limited to the 7 O'clock in the yellow box.

7 am = passable blade

7 O'clock green box = ok blade

7 O'clock yellow box = superb blade

Now pardon me while I go look for some more fuel to toss on the fire.
Regards,
Squire
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

No I ordered some other brands from Jason, stuff not available here and I'm still trying to pay him. Paypal now tells me I have two separate accounts and will not let me use either one.
Last edited by Squire on Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards,
Squire
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

Understood. Sort of.

7 O'Clock yellow box sharp edge it is.

Regards,
Regards,
Tim

dridiot

Post by dridiot »

Hi all,

These Gillette 7 o'clock are made in St Petersburg, Russia.
If you look closely at the pic again, it says St Petersburg, Russia (same as with the Sharp Edge).

--Jason
Last edited by dridiot on Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

And these,

in the same factory by the same people on presumably much the same equipment. Yellow box blades are coated, green are not. I think.
Regards,
Squire
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Well, I'm glad we got that cleared up. I couldn't figure out how the other guys could shave with a 7 O'clock blade and have a conclusion so different from mine.
Regards,
Squire
dridiot

Post by dridiot »

Squire wrote:And these,

in the same factory by the same people on presumably much the same equipment. Yellow box blades are coated, green are not. I think.
Squire,

I would think so too, but I have not tried the Sharp Edge though.

Regards,
Jason
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Try it Jason, it's almost the equal of the Feather platinum.

I sent you pm on other matters.
Regards,
Squire
Gene

Post by Gene »

Where can they be found? Is this another Gio product?
Gene

Mark Twain

Alan Moore
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Yes, Gio has the 7 O'clock and the 7 am in stock.
Regards,
Squire
Straight Arrow

Post by Straight Arrow »

Just for the hell of it I will now introduce a new contender for the top prize in this festival of confusion.

For your viewing pleasure, here is the 7 o'clock Permasharp Stainless. This one is made in India. I haven't tried one yet so I have no idea of quality.

Rich
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Ok, just to keep things straight, Green O'clocks from Russia are Green 1 and Green O'clocks from India are Green 2.

Now where can I get some of the India ones?
Regards,
Squire
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

marc, My apologies, I didn't realize that you'd been at it that long. I must say that I have never tried these 7 O'clock 'Gillettes' that Squire and the others are discussing, but the experiance that you apparently had with them sounds alot like mine with two OTHER versions of Russian made Gillettes that I have used. So, again....I dunno. I hear you about occasionally getting on a kick to try something different, but I must say that that happens to me very infrequently anymore. And along with A/S, blades are the other thing that I'm most disinclined to mess around with. There are some out there that I would not try even if they were given to me, because I have no reason to believe that they would do. These 7 O'clock numbers I would try, but only because Squire seems so high on them. I doubt I'll order any though. I have plenty of Swedes, and LB NOS Wilkinsons around, and when it comes to actually spending money to replenish my supplies, I'll go with stuff that I know is the ticket. Then too, Squire is using Feathers as his bench mark, and I don't care for Feather blades, so, our 'tastes' may be a bit different.
Regards,
Gordon
Straight Arrow

Post by Straight Arrow »

Squire wrote:
Now where can I get some of the India ones?
Maybe a pack will just fall into your hands.
Rich