In praise of Salter's creams

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
GregPQ

In praise of Salter's creams

Post by GregPQ »

Last Friday I got my first tub of Salter's, and I've been enjoying it ever since. It's the (in)famous French Vetiver scent, and I'm finding it to be a nice change from the usual. The lather is excellent, and the consistency is perfect, in contrast to the Taylors Avocado tub that came in the same order. The TOBS is more on the order of runny cold cream.

Although it is often said here that one either loves or hates vetiver*, I would say that the Salter's is a good, mild introduction to this scent. I have also used the QED vetiver shaving stick, which seems much stronger to me.

Salter's seems to offer decent value: more costly than Taylors, but perhaps a better consistency, certainly good lather, and interesting scents. And less money than Trumpers...

Greg
*For the record, I love it.
Fiat lux, et facta est lux. Que la lumière soit, et la lumière fut. Let there be light, and there was light.
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

I have tried all the Salter creams, and whilst I enjoy the scents, I have to say that they perform less well than Taylor's creams as shaving creams. They offer scents that are unavailable in other brands - I refer to the Fresh Mint (I know about KMF and Tom's, but they don't have the gorgeous confectionary smell) and the French Vetiver specifically here. They are interesting enough to be worth a tub just to enjoy the unusual experience scent-wise.
On the other hand, they are decent creams, if a little over-whipped and fluffy. Use enough and you will have a great shave without having to visit Highgate.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

My experiances with Salters' creams have been similiar to Chris'. While they worked reasonably well for me, they, and the lather they produced, seemed too light weight and not on real par with Taylors etc. Since the couple of unique scents that they offer are not favs. of mine, I have never felt the urge ot get any more of their creams. They can, however, sometimes be a boon to shavers in hard water areas as their formula is partially detergent based, and hence, will often lather decently when others won't.
Regards,
Gordon
Nocturne

Post by Nocturne »

I really enjoy their Sublime Citrus SC; scent is great and refreshing in the morning. I usually use it when I realise I'm out of grapefruits to breakfast with. It is my vitamin C ersatz. :lol: Although I quite like it, two minor problems are:

1- A weird medicinal scent beneath the divine grapefruit.
2- Not a top performing cream as said above.

These are not enough for me to give it up though; it's quite cheap, packaging looks good, they avoid heavy colouring and, at the end of the day, I enjoy using this SC.

Noc.
Brett G
Viscount Krona

Post by Brett G »

Salter Mint has been one of my favorites for years. It lathers and shaves easily enough but for some reason my skin really seems to like it. Great fresh scent too. I'm willing to bet that the other flavors perform the same.

FWIW, French Vetiver is the absolute worst shaving scent that I have run across. IMO is smells NOTHING like good vetiver should.
Brett
Padron

Post by Padron »

I had the Mint and the Rose....the Mint was bearable but the Rose was Horrid.....I sold them both :D

Guess it was one of those YMMV things :lol:
AFG

Post by AFG »

Salters rose was one of the first creams I tried. Still have some of it and use it occasionally. It's not my favorite but I do like the cream enough to keep it around. The rose scent is far different from the Taylors I have, kind of a sweet smell I guess although I am not very adept at describing scents. It works fine although I probably would not order it again as there other creams I like better.
Al