Looking for the Greatest Razor in all the land

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
never2close

Looking for the Greatest Razor in all the land

Post by never2close »

Now that I can shave with my Superspeed (2 days in a row), I'm looking to add to my razor shelf. I already have 2 HDs, 2 Mergress', 1 59 Fatboy Adjustable, and 1 76 Superspeed. What would be the next razor that I should (must) own? Until 2 days ago I thought the HD and Mergress were it for me, hence the duplication for travel. Now, get out of my way, the fatboy's going shopping! Thanks in advance.
Big Swifty

Post by Big Swifty »

You must have a fixed head gold aristocrat and a Merkur slantbar. Get shopping 8)
~Steve

~proponent of a strong salvation army, born again Calvinist, cunning linguist, flaming heterosexual

"Life is too short to drink shitty beer"
Craig_From_Cincy

Post by Craig_From_Cincy »

Gillette Slim with the long black handle. Has provided the best shave that I have ever enjoyed.
Cheers,

Craig
Sando

Post by Sando »

SS 58 TV.

...Ray
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

I assume we're talking about mainly shaving, as oppossed to collecting? The Superspeed you have is a late version. The very best ones are probably the original model offered from 1948 through about 1953 ( and the subtly unique '58 TV model ). If you fall in love with that, as many here have, then you must have one of the heavier fancier versions as well. US made versions include the President, Executive, and US Aristocrat. English made models are at least equally as desireable, if not more so; Coronation Model 58, heavy handled Rocket, Model 21 and 66 etc. BTW, I think you're doomed. After years on these dememted forums, I know the signs ( chuckle ).
Regards,
Gordon
With The Grain
Gillette Aficionado

Post by With The Grain »

the common, and cheap! bar handle NEW. shaves a dream if that's what you want... if you want looks and rarity it's not the right bird, superficial aside, it's the equal+ of a 40's superspeed without the regard imo (though it does have plenty of fans)
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

I'll tell you the greatest razor.

For the past two days, you've had excellent shaves. Success.

So now you want to change.

WT (as they say) F? :)

The correct razor for you is Occam's: Do not multiply entities needlessly - or whatever he really said - you get the idea. Get great shaves every day with the one you've got. If you're worried about breaking it, get a spare, they're not that hard to find. Or get two if you're feeling rich. If you like the 70's Superspeed shave, the older Superspeed models should prove just as good.
never2close

Post by never2close »

notthesharpest wrote:I'll tell you the greatest razor.

For the past two days, you've had excellent shaves. Success.

So now you want to change.

WT (as they say) F? :)

The correct razor for you is Occam's: Do not multiply entities needlessly - or whatever he really said - you get the idea. Get great shaves every day with the one you've got. If you're worried about breaking it, get a spare, they're not that hard to find. Or get two if you're feeling rich. If you like the 70's Superspeed shave, the older Superspeed models should prove just as good.
It's very difficult for me to argue with someone that supports their arguement with Occam's philosophy since I often quote him myself. Damn you and your rationality.
i_shaved_something

Re: Looking for the Greatest Razor in all the land

Post by i_shaved_something »

never2close wrote:What would be the next razor that I should (must) own?
All of them! :lol:
Rob
D.Irving79
The Great Lord Protector of the SE!

Post by D.Irving79 »

please refer to everything/anything below my name :mrgreen:
spinyeel

Post by spinyeel »

D.Irving79 wrote:please refer to everything/anything below my name :mrgreen:
I agree.Every dedicated wet shaver should own and love at least a couple of S/Es. :lol: :lol:
kaptain_zero

Post by kaptain_zero »

It sounds to me like you wont stop until you enter the fray of straight razor shaving..... :twisted:

Regards

Kaptain "Go straight or go home" Zero
Previously lost, on the way to the pasture. Now pasteurized.
spinyeel

Post by spinyeel »

Personally I compare the Gem's to muzzle loading musket's and straight's to the Longbow.Both effective weapons, but totally different learning curves. :) I never intend to try a straight,they scare me :oops: my limit is a Roll's Razor. Cheers Phil.
kaptain_zero

Post by kaptain_zero »

spinyeel wrote:Personally I compare the Gem's to muzzle loading musket's and straight's to the Longbow.Both effective weapons, but totally different learning curves. :) I never intend to try a straight,they scare me :oops: my limit is a Roll's Razor. Cheers Phil.
A straight left lying on the table should scare no one, it's the person wielding it that's scary! Think if it this way, a musket could go off accidentally if dropped, not exactly the same as a long bow, is it? :-)

Still, to each his own. I prefer straights and enjoy every shave... it's not that hard to learn and the satisfaction never seems to end.

Regards

Kaptain "Razors don't kill people, People kill people.... and the edges on straight razors, come to think of it! Zero
Previously lost, on the way to the pasture. Now pasteurized.
spinyeel

Post by spinyeel »

kaptain_zero wrote:
spinyeel wrote:Personally I compare the Gem's to muzzle loading musket's and straight's to the Longbow.Both effective weapons, but totally different learning curves. :) I never intend to try a straight,they scare me :oops: my limit is a Roll's Razor. Cheers Phil.
A straight left lying on the table should scare no one, it's the person wielding it that's scary! Think if it this way, a musket could go off accidentally if dropped, not exactly the same as a long bow, is it? :-)

Still, to each his own. I prefer straights and enjoy every shave... it's not that hard to learn and the satisfaction never seems to end.

RegardsThen again I would rather drop a musket ball on my foot than an armour piercing arrow. :lol: The straight obviously has a growing following but it's just not appealing to me personally.I respect those that master the art though. 8) 8)

Kaptain "Razors don't kill people, People kill people.... and the edges on straight razors, come to think of it! Zero
drumana

Post by drumana »

Since you've been getting great shaves with what you've got, have tried a good number of razors and have the itch for something new and different, I say, do it right and get a straight razor. You can't get any more new and different than that. And straight razors are a blast. Second to that I'd recommend getting a Merkur Slant.

Good luck and have fun.
-Andrew-
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Futur.
Regards,
Squire
Mr. Spacely

Post by Mr. Spacely »

I'll second that -Futr
----------
Scott
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

no bout a dout it......... futur the ultimate

marc
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

I can't agree. I think that their Progress or any of their fixed blade razors are preferable, let alone many of the vintage Gillettes. Of course, this thread makes clear that there is little consensus on 'the ultimate DE razor'. Some people say the Merkur Vision but I wouldn't take one for free. So, there you go. Happy hunting.
Regards,
Gordon