Aqua Velva???

What kind of fragrances do you prefer?
gsgo

Aqua Velva???

Post by gsgo »

Aqua Velva, an America shaving classic or is it just a "rubby dub" cocktail, does this stuff work or would you not be caught dead leaving the house?

I have been intrigued by the history of this product as well as the polarizing love/hate comments. Since getting started in DE shaving I now walk by this product in the supermarket or drug store and can't resist cracking a bottle for a wiff, for years I walked by this and kinda snickered not even giving it a glance. For the price it could easily fall into the cart, but why is there such a stigma attached to this product.

Love it/hate it? It works but smells bad, what's your take.

Gary
Scrapyard Ape

Re: Aqua Velva???

Post by Scrapyard Ape »

gsgo wrote: but why is there such a stigma attached to this product.
Snobbery can be found everywhere.

Personally, I like Aqua Velva... both regular and musk. (not too fond of the "Ice Sport", but not everything is to everyone's liking) I also like Skin Bracer, the other commonly available AS splash. I won't weigh in on Old Spice because of the recent upheaval with the repackaging and apparent reformulation.
~Greg
gsgo

Post by gsgo »

Greg,

Ahhh that Old Spice smell, used by both my father and a close uncle, I used to love that old glass bottle wih the little red plug. I have found the versions on the shelf not the same as I remember.

With the comments about AV over at the B&B forum and Gio's write up at R&B I just may need to sneak a bottle into the shopping cart this weekend...

Gary
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

I remember when living in Finland as a young man, I had run out of my supply of Kanøn - which was the only balm I could use at the time without breaking out into a rash. I had to resort to AV, and found it worked ok, but was brutally strong as a fragrance. I quickly wrote home for a replacement - which never showed up. I ended up moving to a Finnish product that was really good, but I can't recall the name of it. It was like a skin protector/balm kinda thing.

Anyway - AV for me reminds me of my father, but not something I was too happy with personally.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
MiloFinch

Post by MiloFinch »

Nothing wrong with Aqua Velva. I love it. Along with Skin Bracer and Old Spice. I love them all. Brut too. Oh, and you can't forget the Clubman.
-David
Now go and watch Raiders.
a-cut-above

Post by a-cut-above »

Aqua Velva is one of my favorites. It has a classic scent and has some glycerin in it to leave my skin feeling smooth but not sticky like a balm. The scent lasts about an hour on me, a bit longer than say Booster's.
Dave

"Sanity is a madness put to good use." - George Santayana (…like a wet shaver with an acquisition disorder.)
otherstar

Post by otherstar »

I love Aqua Velva too. It was one of the first I used because it had a real cooling effect on my skin.
Turn me over, I'm done on this side...St. Lawrence

--Jeff
KenS

Post by KenS »

I'm a Sienna fan foremost, but some days call for something different. Today was one of those days, and Aqua Velva was what caught my eye. I've been enjoying the smell all day.
Ken.
Cavman

Post by Cavman »

Aqua Velva Ice Blue for me & Clubman for special ocassions.
John

Just smile & wave boys, just smile & wave. (Madagascar)
Killian85

Post by Killian85 »

I use the Iced Sport and Musk variety all the time. They do a wonderful job on my face and the scents are decent enough for every day wear.

Had seen it mentioned somewhere that the original variety also comes in a balm. I'd be curious to try that sometime.
Alan

"Crime does not pay ... as well as politics."
Alfred E. Newman

The Double A Lounge
a-cut-above

Post by a-cut-above »

gsgo wrote:Greg,

Ahhh that Old Spice smell, used by both my father and a close uncle, I used to love that old glass bottle wih the little red plug. I have found the versions on the shelf not the same as I remember.........
Gary
Same here. Even the product in the glass bottle right before the change to plastic didn't smell the same as the stuff I remember. The scent was changed over the years, as several other posters have noted.
Dave

"Sanity is a madness put to good use." - George Santayana (…like a wet shaver with an acquisition disorder.)
Mr. Spacely

Post by Mr. Spacely »

Cavman wrote:Aqua Velva Ice Blue for me & Clubman for special ocassions.

Both a daily splash for me- really enjoy the classics.
----------
Scott
GA Russell

Post by GA Russell »

Hey Canadian league fans! I'm listening to the Opening Night game between the Stamps and the Lions on the internet, and I just heard them say that "Aqua Velva is the Official Aftershave of the Calgary Stampeders and the 2008 Grey Cup!"
Rapira Swedish Supersteel
Fitness
Lijun badger
Gillette 1948-1950 Super Speed
rikrdo

Post by rikrdo »

AV musk cut with Thayers Rose Petal witch hazel
is all I ever need in an after shave.

Want, however, is a different story.
rick
AZShaver

Post by AZShaver »

I like to cut Skin Bracer, and Clubman the same way. It makes them much less overpowering.
Jim
alabamalawyer

Post by alabamalawyer »

Big fan of Aqua Velva. I like the way it works and the scent fades quickly on me.
Chris
paperpundit

Post by paperpundit »

I use Aqua Velva often...and even have it in a spray bottle to use as a cologne as well. I usually laugh a little when the gals in the office compliment me on my "clean smelling cologne."
Jack

"All you need is love, love...love is all you need."
Ten747

Post by Ten747 »

It has a light fresh smell for wearing around the house..
Hoos

Post by Hoos »

I'm a brand new convert to Aqua Velva (Ice Blue).

It's great. It will get regular use. Trumper's Limes is still my favorite. I've tried a few other aftershaves and didn't really care for them. AV, though, really is nice.
Brent
Tondeo ergo sum.
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

I've liked Ice Blue for a while and used Ice Sport in college, but of late I've found the Musk pretty nice. A good weekend fragrance and a superb value. Cutting it with rose witch hazel...hmm...sounds like a good experiment.

Regards,
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau