Musgo Real Colognes

What kind of fragrances do you prefer?
cymric

Musgo Real Colognes

Post by cymric »

Does anyone have experience with the Musgo Real Colognes #1, #2, and #3? I recently discovered the Musgo cream and its aftershave, and I fear I may develop a quick case of musthaveitis. Given that after sampling a number of fragrances I find myself attracted more to the scents produced by shaving companies rather than perfume companies, I figure there's a fair chance I might like the colognes too. But it's hard to find descriptions what the colognes are like, inasmuch it is possible to write down such a description. Does anyone feel like a challenge ;-)?
cjc15153

Post by cjc15153 »

I bought #2 blind and was underwhelmed. I find it starts out blandly pleasantly clean and ends blandly, pleasantly and ever so slightly sweet.

I tried Geir Ness today in a department store and to me #2 smells like the non-smell under the faint woods in Geir. It is hard to explain, and Geir is the more interesting fragrance, but the similarity is enough to keep me from buying (the much more expensive) Geir.
xChris

Post by xChris »

I have all three of the Musgo colognes...

#1 (Orange Amber)
Decent scent, but not really for me. Is not a citrus scent (to me) despite the name, but does have the "orange" smell.

#2 (Oak Moss)
Very clean, green scent -- great for summertime (IMO). It always reminds me of a freshly cut green bell pepper.

#3 (Spiced Citrus)--
Reminds me of Christian Dior's Fahrenheit

Any of the colognes will match fine with the shaving cream and aftershave, but are not like them in smell. However, I really enjoy Musgo's original aftershave scent by itself.
Chris
Bakunin

Post by Bakunin »

Bought the #1 orange amber with high hopes but its not a really that great to me. I put on a lot one day and got a complement but its not a cologne I look forward too. Just smells like a pretty simple orange blossom water much like Sanborns for $3.27 at Walwart. YMMV.
PolieCat

Post by PolieCat »

When I asked about decants, "dmikel" was kind enough to point me in the direction of a website called theperfumedcourt.com They offer a sampler pack of the 3 different Musco Real colognes, so that may be something to consider.
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

I don't know if any of the Musgo Real colognes are all that earth-shattering. However, I really like No. 2. It's the greenest fragrance I've ever encountered, and while it's not particularly complex and never really evolves, it's bright and clean. My wife loves it, and I'm told women often like no scent better on a man than "clean." Besides, when I wear it on a brisk spring morning it lifts my spirits. Good stuff.

Regards,
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
cymric

Post by cymric »

Thanks for the pointer, PolieCat. I know of an address in my vicinity where I can sample the fragrances first hand, but I'm a lazy bugger and was hoping for in-depth discussion before I made the 45 minute-trip :twisted:.
cymric

Post by cymric »

xChris wrote:#1 (Orange Amber)
Decent scent, but not really for me. Is not a citrus scent (to me) despite the name, but does have the "orange" smell.
Apologies for replying this late. Do you have an idea how it compares to TOBS's Eton College aftershave (not the cream!)? That too is loaded with oranges, or what TOBS calls 'sparkling citrus oils'.
#2 (Oak Moss)
Very clean, green scent -- great for summertime (IMO). It always reminds me of a freshly cut green bell pepper.
Green bell peppers are not my favourite, but I'll give it a try.
#3 (Spiced Citrus)--
Reminds me of Christian Dior's Fahrenheit
Oh my. In the Netherlands we have a tiny bicycle tire repair kit which is sold in lidded metal boxes; it's been around for ages now. The smell that arises from that box---sulphury vulcanised rubber and sweet aromatic glue---is precisely Fahrenheit. That does not bode well for this Musgo scent :). Obviously I need to make that trip I alluded to earlier.
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

How does the Number 1 compare to the Claus Porto Achilles Britto (Orange Amber) soap? Any relationship at all?

Regards,
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
xChris

Post by xChris »

I don't have experience with either the ToBs Eaton College or the Claus Porto scents, so I can't help either of you there.

The MR AdC No. 3 reminds me of CD Fahrenheit, but isn't as heavy -- more of the upper, lighter notes.

I think it's a good idea to smell them before you buy them (whenever you are out that way).
Chris