Advice on selling comic books

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
Gatorade

Advice on selling comic books

Post by Gatorade »

I have a couple comic books I wanted to sell from my small collection. I need some advice on what the best to sell them is. Of course I can post them up on ebay but I don't know what I should label them as or if there are certain key words I should use. I seem to remember there being someone I spoke with who sold comics on this forum a while back.

Here are some pics, I do have more and would put them in the auction but just wanted to see if someone knows something about them.

Thanks for the input!
--Charlie
AACJ wrote:Two words:

Duct Tape
D.Irving79
The Great Lord Protector of the SE!

Post by D.Irving79 »

THE MAXX !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i loved that when it was on MTVs ODDITIEs
paperpundit

Post by paperpundit »

Sold all of mine in 1989 (and some went back 20 years from then...). I think you will be better dollar by using small groups and selling the prime ones (like the Death of the Phoenix X-Men series I had) separate.
Jack

"All you need is love, love...love is all you need."
Julius_Rodman

Re: Advice on selling comic books

Post by Julius_Rodman »

The only way to sell them is at a very rich people's charity function where their kids INSIST on having whatever junk you put out there for whatever price.

Made a ton on hockey cards that wouldn't have gotten a sniff from "sophisticated" purchasers.

---------------------

Kent
Johnny_Z

Post by Johnny_Z »

Find either a local comic shop or a bookstore that sells Overstreet's Comic Price Guide and get an idea for what those issues go for. You can also take them to a local shop and get a general idea for what they'll go for. If there's a comic show nearby you can check there as well.

Don't expect to get much for them, those are all fairly recent issues (from what I can see) when every one and their mother was buying comics because they thought they'd be worth something some day.

Most aren't.
wenestvedt

Post by wenestvedt »

Jack's advice jibes with that I received from an EBay Power Seller and comic book d0rk (who made his own Captain America shield!).

I have an overflowing long box of stuff from the late 1980s -- highlighted, in my mind, by early "Lone Wolf and Cub," "Reid Fleming: World's Toughest Milkman" books, and signed "Flaming Carrot" books -- that will either get dumped, saved forever, or broken up this way.

- Will
Bob

Post by Bob »

I just rescued a bunch of my comic books from my parents' house last weekend. Most date from the early '70s, although some are from the late '60s. I, too, am wondering if they are worth selling. I may have to go to a comics shop and check out the retail prices.
--Bob--
Aztecface

Post by Aztecface »

I am a collector of rare books and comics and I have to say that, you'll probably get such a small amount for them that you would be wiser to save them for your own kids. If you dont have any or dont plan on having any kids then your best bet would be to contact a proper Comics shop and see if you can get a good deal from either them or a client of theirs. What you have shown is nothing rare or unobtainable enough to receive more then perhaps $100 IF they are in mint condition complete with posters and so on.
Regards,
Jani
Aztecface

Post by Aztecface »

D.Irving79 wrote:THE MAXX !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, that was a good show. The complete series is on DVD now. Unfortunatly not much extramaterial but still worth it for the nostalgia trip.
Regards,
Jani
Gatorade

Post by Gatorade »

A few years back I went to one of the local shops and asked if he was buying. I began to describe them but he said that he rally wasn't buying anything like these because he has them in stock right now. Funny but he had some of the same issues priced at $5 each and I paid $2 each but would have taken $1 each. He still wasn't interested. Maybe since it has been a while I should stop back in.

I did like The Maxx on MTV. Of course I read the books as they came out so it was really cool to see it show up there.

Honestly if someone offered me $100 I would jump on it. I am still hanging on to a few but these are the ones that I could part with the easiest and I really don't feel like keeping them arround till my girls grow into them. I have too much in the way of Gator stuff that I need to make space and relocate funds!
--Charlie
AACJ wrote:Two words:

Duct Tape
D.Irving79
The Great Lord Protector of the SE!

Post by D.Irving79 »

Aztecface wrote:
D.Irving79 wrote:THE MAXX !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, that was a good show. The complete series is on DVD now. Unfortunatly not much extramaterial but still worth it for the nostalgia trip.

damn i need to get on that. thanks for the tip.