Bill Evans Trio - Portrait in Jazz

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
DEF

Bill Evans Trio - Portrait in Jazz

Post by DEF »

As an employee with borrowing privileges, I'm taking more frequent advantage of The University of Tulsa's CD library. At the moment I'm very much enjoying this disc, which is very fluid and moody in that "rainy night with a scotch in hand" sort of way. I prefer small combos, either piano-bass-kit, or with a horn on top.
Doug
Leisureguy

Post by Leisureguy »

Bill Evans is a master. If you do a YouTube search, you can also find some videos of him playing.
DEF

Post by DEF »

Thanks, Michael! That stuff is pure gold.
Doug
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

Doug, if you're interested in minimalism and small jazz combos, let me recommend Heavy Sounds by Elvin Jones (drums) and Richard Davis (bass). Only two other musicians show up on the album at all. It's been a favorite of mine since college. I'll have to do some Bill Evans exploration.

Regards,
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
paperpundit

Post by paperpundit »

I second Michael's suggestion of searching for a video of him (Bill Evans), you'll be impressed...besides youtube, you can google him and check under videos.
Jack

"All you need is love, love...love is all you need."
GA Russell

Post by GA Russell »

One of my two favorite box sets is the Bill Evans Village Vanguard 1961 on Riverside box which came out a couple of years ago. Highly recommended!
Rapira Swedish Supersteel
Fitness
Lijun badger
Gillette 1948-1950 Super Speed
iancevans

Post by iancevans »

Ah, that makes me want to dust off some Evans recordings. I'm listening to the Satoko Fujii Quartet right now (the "Zephyros" album) and digging it. Very spare, but energetic. Satoko is a fine pianist indeed. If anyone's interested in having a (legal) listen, I have a song up here:

http://iancevans.muxtape.com/
Ian

"Anything less than the best is a felony"
--Vanilla Ice
Killian85

Post by Killian85 »

Bill Evans is one of those people whose influence just radiates to so many players. You listen to people like Herbie Hancock, Chick Corea, or even Brad Mehldau and you can feel that influence. With jazz, seeking the source and moving outward gives a very complete picture of where their playing evolved from.

Currently enjoying Keith Jarrett's trio album "Up For It".
Alan

"Crime does not pay ... as well as politics."
Alfred E. Newman

The Double A Lounge
Bob

Post by Bob »

Here's another vote for the Village Vanguard shows. If you are an eMusic subscriber, you can easily pick up both Sunday at the Village Vanguard, and Waltz for Debby. You'll also find the following four albums: Consecration, Moonbeams, Exploration and Complete February 1972 Paris ORTF Performance.
--Bob--
ScottS

Post by ScottS »

If you're into female vocalist, try Diana Krall.