Recommendations for my wife...

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
george

Recommendations for my wife...

Post by george »

I gave my wife a puck of Classic Shaving Bay Rum soap a few months ago and it's gettin' kinda small. It's time to get her a new one and I'm not sure what to get her next and whether I should recommend she use a brush.

I've moved to MWF, but I think that's overkill. I could get a different scent of CS's soap, but I thought maybe I'd see if any of you whose wives use shave soap for their legs would have suggestions.

Also, she just rubs the soap between her hands and smooths it on her legs. It seems to me that might just use a lot of soap and not really make lather. Then again, maybe rubbing with one's hands doesn't take off that much soap...

Is it likely she'll have better results (or save soap :)) by using a bristle shaving brush?

Thanks!
-Michael
BeatlesFan

Post by BeatlesFan »

My wife loves rose scented soaps.

Having just posted that Trumpers soaps don't work for me, I'll do a 180 and suggest that Trumpers Rose might be a nice choice for your wife. Trumpers soaps are certainly highly regarded.

Good luck! It's my wife's birthday this month, and you've reminded me that it's time for me to get crackin' and buy her a gift . . .!
george

Post by george »

Thanks for your input! So you would recommend a triple-milled soap over a cold-pour?
-Michael
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

She should either have a brushless product, or use a brush. She can certainly do what she's doing, but things will improve even more with the change.

(How about Cremo Cream?)

Charles at QED (found at this link) might make his own rose soap. If he does, it probably smells great. Some men find it a little thin for face shaving, but it's very slick. It might work the way she's using the soap as well.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Michael, Nope. My wife uses the excellent Vinolia bath soap that we keep in the shower. More than good enough for her modest needs. I have stacks of high end shave soaps about, and she's never felt the need to utilize any of them.
Regards,
Gordon
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Hi Michael -

First of all, is your wife interested in trying anything else? She may be happy with what she has and not want to mess with success, in terms of the soap or the scent. (At any rate, you haven't said anything about what she wants.)

Right now, your wife is using a glycerin-type soap that has clay in it. This combination is working for her. Glycerin-type soaps, glycerin-type soaps with clay, and traditional soaps behave differently from each other. I get very good results with all three types of soap, and I don't believe that it is accurate to say that any one of them is inherently superior to the others. Each one has its advantages and its trade-offs.

If you get something new and different, your wife may have to adjust her technique, which she may not really want to do. If she is open to try something new, you might discuss with her the different scents that are available and the advantages/trade-offs of different types of soap.

- Murray
xChris

Post by xChris »

Saint Charles Shave, Mama Bear, QED, & Barbiera Italiana all offer shave sticks -- apply it and shave or apply it and lather with a brush. Great selection of scents too.
Chris
ThePossum

Post by ThePossum »

My wife used to just lather up (well apply a thin coating of soap) using her regular bath soap and then shave away.

Then I started using a brush and soap/cream to shave and also found the recipe for a great shave oil that I use for my last touch up pass. Compliments of Michael our own Leisureguy my wife now uses his Last-Pass Shave Oil as the only thing to lube her legs for a shave. No soap or cream just this wonderful concoction.

The explanation and recipe can be found here. http://www.shavemyface.com/forum/viewto ... t=oil+pass
Bryce

My Shave Stuff
The Original Safety Too - An SE Razor Forum
loueedacat1

Post by loueedacat1 »

My wife really likes Cremo Cream. I just bought her four tubs so she should be stocked for awhile. And no need at all for a brush for that.
drumana

Post by drumana »

My girlfriend recently bought some Alba shave cream for her legs and it didn't work out well for her at all. So I gave her some TOBS Avocado SC that I hardly ever use and she loves it... nice smooth legs with no burn or anything :wink:
-Andrew-
Dale

Post by Dale »

My wife has begun to use the Nancy Boy Signature Scent shave cream along with the NB shave oil. She uses them brushless and totally loves these products.

Dale
loueedacat1

Post by loueedacat1 »

Dale wrote:My wife has begun to use the Nancy Boy Signature Scent shave cream along with the NB shave oil. She uses them brushless and totally loves these products.

Dale
that makes sense. It's marketed as brushless. I think NB is my favorite SC though I use a brush. Or mabye JMFraser is my favorite. Cant decide.
petr

Post by petr »

Shamefully, I recruit SWMBO in testing. This is a slamming way to include her in this world and it helps her understand why I would want various products.

Lime and Rose trumpers soap are favorites. She dismissed AOS lemon and lavender soap as too manly. Who knew?

Lately I gave her some soaps and creams by TGQ. I did not consider them on par 'shave comfort wise' with my others for my face, but the scents are very good. In fact I consider their strength to be enjoyable quality scents. She likes the tgq sampler very much.

t & h rose cream is a favorite also which I would prefer she stay out of.

She also liked non brush Lush Ambrosia, which I found awful.
Last edited by petr on Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
loueedacat1

Post by loueedacat1 »

Dale wrote:My wife has begun to use the Nancy Boy Signature Scent shave cream along with the NB shave oil. She uses them brushless and totally loves these products.

Dale
My wife is hooked on NB replenishing moisturizer and NB night cream. Much cheaper than the French cr*p she was using and probably higher quality. NB is good.
wrath186

Post by wrath186 »

All the above suggestions are great soaps and creams. You haven't said if she prefers floral scents, fruity scents or woody scents. Crabtree and Evelyn makes a really good soap in a wooden bowl. If you want her to get into shaving like you are, you might want to get her her own brush and razor combo. Shavemac has some great sets although they may be a bit masculine.
george

Post by george »

Since she's not very apt to change a bunch of things at once, I decided to stick with the Classic Shaving soap, which she's used already. I ordered some scents that she thinks she'll like. Once she starts a new one, I'll see if she might be interested in a brush.

If the soap lasts 6mos., I don't think I'll worry too much about it. I'll let her work her own way into geekery...
-Michael
Dale

Post by Dale »

loueedacat1 wrote:

Dale
My wife is hooked on NB replenishing moisturizer and NB night cream. Much cheaper than the French cr*p she was using and probably higher quality. NB is good.
I have been using the NB Replenishing Moisturizer for over a year and love it. I bought my wife some of the Ultra-Marine Night Cream and now I use that, also. I like NB products a lot.

Dale