Cologne/Aftershave Cary Grant wore

What kind of fragrances do you prefer?
Chaps

Cologne/Aftershave Cary Grant wore

Post by Chaps »

Gentlemen,

I know someone knows the answer to this:

What kind of cologne and/or A/S did Cary Grant wear and can one get it today?

Thanks,
Danny
Danny

"Because I prefer the cool, clean sweep of the tempered steel as it glides smoothly--" Cary Grant as he is shaving in a scene from "Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House"
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Danny, Probably a number of things over the years. One for certain, that's still available, is Aqua di Parma ( the original, obviously ). Don't believe that Creed Green Irish Tweed business though. The stuff didn't even come out until around the time of his death. Other blurbs will say it was made for The Duke of Windsor, or King Alfonso XIII of Spain. Actually, it was first introduced in the 1980s. But, Aqua di Parma, yeah....so did Audrey Hepburn at times they say.
Regards,
Gordon
giammi

Post by giammi »

Can confirm Acqua di Parma - Colonia.
optimo

Cologne/Aftershave Cary Grant Wore

Post by optimo »

New Mown Hay by Floris
http://thelondonlounge.net/gl/forum/vie ... b9daa2737c
Regards,
Optimo
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Optimo, Interesting piece. As I mentioned, Grant undoubtedly wore more than one cologne over the course of his career. Given his tastes, it would be almost odd if he hadn't worn Floris scents at one time or another. If he checks in, we will hear what the esteemed Mr. Bargepole has to say about "Floris new moan hay". That would presumably allude to coumarin, a major ingrediant in many classic gentlemen's fougere type scents. Whether that was the actual name of the cologne remains to be seen, although it might have been. The Green Irish Tweed business is bogus, though.....unless it alludes to some bespoke scent that was once made for.....whomever. The stuff by that name that Creed currently sells is a fairly new production, and it smells so. By the way, David Niven was another English born Hollywood dandy who wore Floris scents, as well as Aqua di Parma and Knize Ten at different times. In fact, his son was involved in the opening of that Floris shop in NYC in the '80s.
Regards,
Gordon
Chaps

Post by Chaps »

Thank you, gentlemen. I knew I could count on you.

Danny
Danny

"Because I prefer the cool, clean sweep of the tempered steel as it glides smoothly--" Cary Grant as he is shaving in a scene from "Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House"
Craig_From_Cincy

Post by Craig_From_Cincy »

Here's an expired Ebay listing for a bottle of floris New Mown Hay:

http://cgi.ebay.ph/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie ... &indexURL=
Cheers,

Craig
Bargepole
Beam me up Scotty

Post by Bargepole »

New Mown Hay... gosh, I smelt that many years ago and rather liked it but it's a bit hazy now. My memory says aromatic green fougère;

- coumarin, as Gordon says
- I think galbanum
- maybe clary sage in the middle, or possibly basil. Memory is feeble.
- aldehyde C9 (once smelt, never forgotten)
- Something Else. Galbanolene super? One of those green/aromatic/galbanum molecules anyway.

Overall like a halfway house between Vent Vert and Jicky. But I may be misremembering. (Aldehyde C9, coumarin and galbanolene would be a pretty good starting point for a subtle masculine fragrance, anyway. I might just be fantasising. Who knows?)
Michael

People say it's never too late. How wrong they are. --Felix Dennis
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

See, there you go....good ol' Bargepole. Craig, yeah, that's a pretty old bottle design. You can see how other firms; Floris, D R Harris, etc. used to use those cut glass stoppers but the Penhaligon's A/Ss are now the only one left. If I had to guess I'd say that bottle is from maybe the '50s or '60s (?).
Regards,
Gordon
Chaps

Post by Chaps »

bernards66 wrote:Danny, Probably a number of things over the years. One for certain, that's still available, is Aqua di Parma ( the original, obviously ). Don't believe that Creed Green Irish Tweed business though. The stuff didn't even come out until around the time of his death. Other blurbs will say it was made for The Duke of Windsor, or King Alfonso XIII of Spain. Actually, it was first introduced in the 1980s. But, Aqua di Parma, yeah....so did Audrey Hepburn at times they say.
Regards,
Gordon
Thanks, Gordon. I am going to order a sample bottle of Aqua di Parma frm Fragrances and More. They have a sample for only $3.00 with free shipping. I don't know anything about the scent and I am anxious to try it. If I like it, I may be walking around the house saying, "Judy, Judy, Judy". I know, I know...Cary never really said that, but you know what I mean :D

Danny
Danny

minderasr

Post by minderasr »

Chaps wrote:They have a sample for only $3.00 with free shipping.
Free shipping but $1.25 handling fee, for a total of $4.25. Just placed my order. Thanks for the heads up!
-= Jim =-

"If your knot flops and splays you are working it too hard."
Chaps

Post by Chaps »

minderasr wrote:
Chaps wrote:They have a sample for only $3.00 with free shipping.
Free shipping but $1.25 handling fee, for a total of $4.25. Just placed my order. Thanks for the heads up!
The old "handling fee" angle, huh :D :D I am going to place my order today.
Thanks Jim.

Danny
Danny

woodsrider

Post by woodsrider »

Good move, Danny. The AdP Colonia is very nice -- one of my favorites. Keep us posted on how the sample works out for you.
Lynn
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I particularly like the AdP Colonia.
Regards,
Squire
Chaps

Post by Chaps »

I ordered the AdP Colonia sample today. Can't wait to receive it.

Danny
Danny

Chaps

Post by Chaps »

I received my sample yesterday of AdP Colonia. Although it has a nice scent, it is not for me. I will keep it as a reminder of one of my favorite actors, though.

Danny
Danny

bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Danny, Well, Aqua di Parma isn't quite my personal cup of tea either, but it is a superbly made scent and many knowledgeable gents are very fond of it. It's one of those colognes that I definately appreciate but don't personally wear.
Regards,
Gordon
Last edited by bernards66 on Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chaps

Post by Chaps »

bernards66 wrote:Danny, Well, Aqui di Parma isn't quite my personal cup of tea either, but it is a superbly made scent and many knowledgeable gents are very fond of it. It's one of those colognes that I definately appreciate but don't personally wear.
Regards,
Gordon
Agreed.

Danny
Danny

rgc

Post by rgc »

Agreed. I was so looking forward to trying it because of the history . . . yeah, not for me either . . . .
bbqncigars

Post by bbqncigars »

I just ordered my sample as well. I also noticed that they're pretty proud of their shave cream. Fifty seven bucks for a 125g jar. YIKES!!

Wayne
"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most." A. Brilliant