Shaving Oil -- does it have a place?

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
sebell

Post by sebell »

I don't use any oils except for Zirh pre-shave before using Zirh Aloe
Shave Cream. This is _not_ a soap, so doesn't work using the same
principles as traditional shaving lather.

- Scott
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I don't use them.
Regards,
Squire
paperpundit

Post by paperpundit »

I use them, but I add this caveat...I am a human sponge. I live in a swamp (just a few miles inland from Gordon) and I am usually dry a second or two after stepping out of the shower. It is freaky...

Thus, when I first started wet shaving, I noticed that my lather would dry rather quickly. My solution was to dip my hand in the sink and re-wet a section, then shave...

Shave oil, on my skin after a few warm towels, prevents my skin from sucking the moisture from the lather when I shave at the sink. Of course, I don't need it if I just shave in the shower...
Jack

"All you need is love, love...love is all you need."
ichabod
Mackem

Post by ichabod »

paperpundit wrote:I use them, but I add this caveat...I am a human sponge. I live in a swamp (just a few miles inland from Gordon) and I am usually dry a second or two after stepping out of the shower. It is freaky...

Thus, when I first started wet shaving, I noticed that my lather would dry rather quickly. My solution was to dip my hand in the sink and re-wet a section, then shave...

Shave oil, on my skin after a few warm towels, prevents my skin from sucking the moisture from the lather when I shave at the sink. Of course, I don't need it if I just shave in the shower...
Have you considered selling your dehumidifying services around the state? Having been the guy who was soaked before getting into the shower in Tampa, I will never cease to be amazed at your sponginess.

Do you miss Patrick? How often do you get back to Bikini Bottom? :P
Give us the luxuries, and we will forgo the necessities.
Give a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire, he'll be toasty for the rest of his life.
Dominic
goose

Post by goose »

I don't use oil or any pre-shave product other than water. Pre-shaves usually cause more problems than they solve. I think most gents that use shave oil are trying to use as many products as possible to combat their poor shaves instead of focusing on technique and making a good lather.

Clint
paperpundit

Post by paperpundit »

I miss Barnacle Boy and Mermaid Man the most...

And truth be known, I'm a Californian, so I have no idea why I am so sponge-like...
Jack

Scrapyard Ape

Post by Scrapyard Ape »

paperpundit wrote:I miss Barnacle Boy and Mermaid Man the most...
Sounds like there are some gender confusion issues there. :wink:
~Greg
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

I used shave oil to lubricate a squeaky hinge in the bathroom. Worked great and is about the only use I have for it.
Richard
Gillette1904

Post by Gillette1904 »

rustyblade wrote:I used shave oil to lubricate a squeaky hinge in the bathroom. Worked great and is about the only use I have for it.
This means I have to try shaving with 3-In-One oil to see how well that works...
Best, Michael
Scrapyard Ape

Post by Scrapyard Ape »

Gillette1904 wrote:
rustyblade wrote:I used shave oil to lubricate a squeaky hinge in the bathroom. Worked great and is about the only use I have for it.
This means I have to try shaving with 3-In-One oil to see how well that works...
Don't bother..... I've already "taken one for the team" and can assure you that 3 in1 is not suitable for shaving.

I had "a few too many", if you absolutely must know. It seemed like a good idea at the time.
~Greg
paperpundit

Post by paperpundit »

Greg, I'll let you know that Ernest Borgnine sure sounds like a man to me...

Probably doesn't use shaving oil, either.
Jack

evahs

Post by evahs »

Using cheap shave oil on your face can't be good for your skin even if you do get a good shave with it.
Regadrs,
Jay
Gillette1904

Post by Gillette1904 »

paperpundit wrote:Greg, I'll let you know that Ernest Borgnine sure sounds like a man to me...

Probably doesn't use shaving oil, either.
Pfft. Ernest Borgnine could shave with a fish-scaling knife and still look great.

And his wife has that whole line of skin-care products, so even if he doesn't look great, he soon will. 8)
Best, Michael
GA Russell

Post by GA Russell »

While doing research, I found this thread on page 11 of SMFU.

Although all the arguments against the use of pre-shave oil sound convincing, I can only tell you that in my tests for Natural Science, so far all but one of the soaps have performed better with their pre-shave oil than without it.

This has come as a great surprise to me. Maybe their pre-shave oil is different from everybody else's.
Rapira Swedish Supersteel
Fitness
Lijun badger
Gillette 1948-1950 Super Speed
scruffy

Post by scruffy »

I would not have bothered with it except that a Rite Aid had a closeout on them a while ago. I snagged 3 small canisters of them ($2.74 each instead of $5.49). It was One Planet Shaving Oil. i bought one; tried it and liked it. I went back the next week and they were still there. So, I bought the rest of them. I did leave one.

I use it instead of shaving cream. It changes things up a bit. It is small so it fits nicely in my travel kit, or my bathroom kit. It does not gunk up my razor, but I do have to shave slowly since it does not offer as much protection as shaving cream or soap.

I prefer it on hot days when I can not stand a shaving brush touching my face.
Ed
brothers

Post by brothers »

Ed, you probably should have got that last bottle too! Anyway, this brings to mind that I really don't use shave oils. I bought one at Walmart, ShaveSecret, I think, but I just couldn't make any sense out of why I would use it, so there it sits in the drawer and now it's 4 years old. I love my beautiful smelling Stephan Stay Smooth brushless shaving cream for two reasons, it smells just like coconut heaven, and it really works well with all my razors including straights. Plus, it provides very good post shave moisture and smoothness. One of the ingredients is mineral oil. That's about as close to using a shave oil as I come. The stuff washes right off with water, doesn't seem oily, just nice and smooth. That's all I know about shave oil for now.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
scruffy

Post by scruffy »

Gary, You are right. I should have snagged that last bottle. What was I thinking?

The small bottles are great for traveling. Just toss them in and go.
Ed