Shavemac Horn-Handled Group Buy

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
Timpac

Shavemac Horn-Handled Group Buy

Post by Timpac »

Lookin' to hear other opinions from those who got in on the group buy of the horn-handled shavemacs. Personally, I'm enjoying it quite a bit. Feels nice and springer, very soft on my face, and picks up cream out of the tub very nicely. Going to try it on soaps pretty soon and see how that goes. The handle is simply amazing, very high quality. So far, it really seems to be worthy the money.
Antique Hoosier

Post by Antique Hoosier »

The ones I have seen appear very very nice. Neale (padron) did his usual bang up job conduction a specialized group brush buy... I almost ordered one in the light bulb shape ...dark horn...sans Shavemac lettering and monogrammed...but failed to pull the trigger on it...hope you continue to enjoy yours!
vior

Post by vior »

I was fortunate enough to get in this deal at the very last minute (Two days before they were shipped out), and I'm really bulb-shaped shavemac in dark horn. I like that it has a 10mm shorter loft than my other shavemac and its performance with both soaps and creams is excellent. I couldn't be happier with Bernd's service as he was a joy to deal with. :D
Boxmannn

Re: Shavemac Horn-Handled Group Buy

Post by Boxmannn »

Timpac wrote:Lookin' to hear other opinions from those who got in on the group buy of the horn-handled shavemacs. Personally, I'm enjoying it quite a bit. Feels nice and springer, very soft on my face, and picks up cream out of the tub very nicely. Going to try it on soaps pretty soon and see how that goes. The handle is simply amazing, very high quality. So far, it really seems to be worthy the money.
+1 By far the most luxurious of my limited brush collection. This is my first Silvertip (bulb in dark horn) and was amazed at the softness while at the same time not becoming floppy like some of my others. Holds a lot of water and easily completes 3 passes when face lathering.

Workmanship get an A-.
Patrick
vior

Post by vior »

Here is my beautiful shavemac in dark horn :D

Whistler

Post by Whistler »

I ordered mine with the fan shape loft and have been very happy with it, a bit stiffer than my bulb shape shavemac, i'm sure in part due to the shorter loft and the fan shape just feels right to me. I will say the handle is a bit smaller than I was picturing but for the price who can complain about a natural horn handle.
Regards,
Marty
---------------------------------------------------

"Be still! Me mind is a raging torrent flooded with rivulets of thought cascading in a waterfall of creative alternatives."
southpaw

Post by southpaw »

I just got mine yesterday. I did a practice lather with it to help wash the new smell out of it and it performed superbly. This morning I used it with the same result. Here's my brush in the SOTD context and then a close-up:

Blessings,
Michael
xChris

Post by xChris »

I got two so I could get both horn colors and loft shapes. Looking forward to using these.

Chris
Padron

Post by Padron »

Great photos gents! Thanks for sharing, I hope you are liking the performance of these, mine works great with soaps and creams.....very nice indeed :D

Neale
scottydoint

Post by scottydoint »

Those look very nice.
Timpac

Post by Timpac »

I got around to using mine with soap and it worked well. I agree with the comments about it seeming to be smaller than expected. Something about the pictures, probably a lack of a real size reference maybe, made me expect the whole thing to be slightly larger. That being said, I like the size of the handle, the weight of it, and the solid medium size loft. This was my first silver-tip, so I'm glad I got my money's worth. Padron, the group buy was a great idea and thanks again.
southpaw

Post by southpaw »

Padron wrote:Great photos gents! Thanks for sharing, I hope you are liking the performance of these, mine works great with soaps and creams.....very nice indeed :D

Neale

So far so good, Neale. I'm looking forward to putting it through the paces over the next few days. I truly appreciate all the hard work you put in on this project. THANK YOU!!!
Blessings,
Michael
Capt. Pat

Post by Capt. Pat »

+1

Very happy with mine :D :D :D
Pat
GA Russell

Post by GA Russell »

xChris wrote:I got two so I could get both horn colors and loft shapes. Looking forward to using these.

I know very little about brushes. I assume that the one on the left is the bulb shape and the one on the right is the fan shape. Am I correct?

What are the purposes/advantages of each?

Is one shape considered superior for creams, and the other for soaps?
Rapira Swedish Supersteel
Fitness
Lijun badger
Gillette 1948-1950 Super Speed
yomuppet

Post by yomuppet »

GA Russell wrote:
I know very little about brushes. I assume that the one on the left is the bulb shape and the one on the right is the fan shape. Am I correct?

It's really just a matter of preference.

Common sense would tell me that a fan shape will provide more brush area contacting your face for face-lathering, and a bulb shape would provide more brush area contacting a bowl if you later in a bowl.

But, at the end of the day, either can be used for any type of lathering and it's just a matter of which you personally prefer.

Regards.

J
xChris

Post by xChris »

GA Russell wrote: I know very little about brushes. I assume that the one on the left is the bulb shape and the one on the right is the fan shape. Am I correct?

You're correct in identifying the lofts. Like just about everything in wetshaving, which loft is better and in which situations is debatable.

The bulb shape usually holds its shape better during and after use. Fan shapes can splay out, and this will sometimes affect the feeling of density (especially with taler lofted brushes). Some like the fan shape better for loading up on soap, as you get more hair in contact (wihtout having to adjust the brush to the soap surface).

Bottom line, if you can make lather, you can figure out how to do it with either shape. Most likely, you'll find a preference for your lathering techniques and usage.

HTH
Last edited by xChris on Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

GA Russell wrote:
xChris wrote:I got two so I could get both horn colors and loft shapes. Looking forward to using these.

Yes, that's correct.

Well, it's more a preference than an absolute. The bulb-shaped design means the outside bristles are shorter, while in the fan shape all the bristles are about the same length. I've never used a pair of brushes that had only this one difference between them, so can't say anything absolute. I suspect that different types of bristles (thin & flexible vs. wide & stable) might do better with one or the other shape.

A super-soft, ultra-flexible, extremely oversize brush is what you don't want for soaps. The above brushes are quite reasonable in size and have good quality bristles, so I'm sure either shape would work just fine on soaps or on creams. Even if you just picked the shape you find more attractive to look at, you'd probably have a winner.
soulshine

Post by soulshine »

I have a dark horn with bulb shaped bristles and find it to be very good. Not as stiff at the '07 limited run but great just the same! I only use soaps so I cannot comment on how it works with creams.

s~s
xChris

Post by xChris »

soulshine wrote:I have a dark horn with bulb shaped bristles and find it to be very good. Not as stiff at the '07 limited run but great just the same! I only use soaps so I cannot comment on how it works with creams.

s~s
I thought the same thing about the differences in the brushes. I think the hair may be a finer guage in the horn models. That and/or water deposits and residue on the older model affect its feel.
Chris
soulshine

Post by soulshine »

I checked last night when I got home and confirm your finer hair comment. They are both stuffed just about exactly the same & I think they finer hairs are just a bit softer. The finer hair in no way decreases the excellent performance of this brush. I used it again this morning with stellar results.

I don't consider myself a "brush groupie" and do not know the finer details of what makes brushes different from another. I do know these LE brushes work very well for me!

s~s