Want to find a rose scent

What kind of fragrances do you prefer?
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Want to find a rose scent

Post by Sam »

I am desiring a rose scent, but not one that is super expensive. I have sampled many and here are some comments

The Different COmpany Rose Poivree: Peppers at first (like Piper Nigrum less the mint) and then roses peeking through, but never coming to the forefront. Nah

Black Aoud by Montale: Well, I get the allure of Aoud but no roses on me

Acqua di Parma Colonia: The Assoluta version lasts, but to get it to last, they add a note that is like a citrus/woody scent and it takes the rose away. Colonia lasts 4 hours and I like the rosey-ness.

Czech and Speak 88: My wife did not like it at first, but when I came home from work, it grew on her. I got some soapiness from it, but they say it is dark roses and maybe this is what I want.

Attar by Montale: Roses and sandalwood, an entirely pleasant scent, but for the money ($140.00 for 100ml) I dont want pleasant. I can get pleasant cheaper. Started to get powdery/creamy, but just a twinge of it.

Le Labo 31 Rose: Also around $110.00 for 100ml, a decant, but it was closer-to-the-skin and lasted as long as Assoluta. More woods than rose. If it was juxtaposed, that would be it. The ladies at makeupalley really love this when they voted, but some also so it is as I have said, really does not move them. Hey, if it was like $60, Id have no problems in buying it. When it gets to be $30 an ounce or more, I want it to be a special scent to justify the special price.

Aoud Damascus by Montale: Doable, maybe the one I end up with, but maybe someone here has smelled Rose Petals, Queens Roses and Red Flowers and can contrast them.

Paestum Rose by Eau d'Italie: A boozy wine/rose combo. I have not smelled it but read descriptions at makeupalley.com (women's site)and at Basenotes (4 reviews, 4 thumbs up).

I dont like powder or really vanilla, nor gourmands particularly, but I am liking saffron I think (Red Vetyver by Montale is spicy and has saffron and works well on my skin). I have tried lavendars (Arome 3 by D'Orsay) and, well, they work better as shave creams for me. I like incense, but not ashtray smoke or cigarette smoke or that rubber scent in Bulgari Black.

Suggestions, comments?
rgc

Post by rgc »

Sam the Montale's interst me too, especially the rose scents. That said they are a bit out of my price range right now. Also out of my price range but on my "wish" list is Domenico Caraceni 1913. 1913 is a rose scent some say simillar to C&S 88, not sure myself as I have not smelled either. But everything I read about 1913 intrigues me as to the scent, even at the price of $120 for 100ml. Oh yeah, you can also get shave cream in 1913 for around $50 for 8.5 oz.

Dick
Bob

Post by Bob »

Sam, have you tried Penhaligon's Hammam Bouquet, or is that off your list? I very much enjoy the scent. My wife puts up with it.
--Bob--
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Sam, I had the same thought as Bob; Hammam Bouquet would seem the obvious choice for me. The rose note is pronounced and the quality is high. And it's a true classic. Ain't cheap, but neither are some of those other colognes you mentioned. It's available in the smaller size for about $75.
Regards,
Gordon
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

Having talked to Sam about this a bit, I know HB is too powdery for him and that he tried but didn't like Domenico Caraceni (can't recall why).

Sam, I think based on what you've said the Aoud Damascus is your best bet. It's possible as you said that rose just doesn't work for you. There are some good scents with rose in a supporting role - TOBS Sandalwood and Trumper Spanish Leather come to mind - but some of those have come across soapy or powdery to you IIRC. It may be that the way rose works on your skin produces an overly powdery note that you won't ever like. Aoud would possibly balance that, which might explain why Damascus works for you. I think you said the rose in Floris No. 89 didn't come across powdery to you, right? This is a tall order, Sam...may not be doable.

BTW, whatever happened with Richard James: did you get some to try?

Regards,
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Tim, "Powdery"? Hammam Bouquet? You're kidding. I don't get that at all. On me, it dries down ultimately to mostly sandalwood notes still mixed with lingering rose.
Regards,
Gordon
IsaacRN

Post by IsaacRN »

I have to agree with Tim and say i get a very powdery scent as well. I do love it though :)
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

Gordon, I don't pick up any powder either: this one is just great rose and sandalwood for me. There are a few BNers who've mentioned it, though. Must be a skin chemistry thing. Not trying to speak for Sam...

I definitely love Hammam myself. It's among my two or three favorite scents and a must-have.

Regards,
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Tim, Well, there is always the 'skin chemistry' thing, of course. Still, if Sam's never tried it, I think it would certainly be one for him to check out if possible. When I think, 'rose' and 'gentleman's scent', Hammam springs to mind immediately. I wish I had some I could send him, but I've only got a tiny bit of the A/S left, and if I know Sam, he'd want the cologne ( chuckle ).
Regards,
Gordon
Figaro

Post by Figaro »

try with Domenico Caraceni Original
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

bernards66 wrote:Tim, Well, there is always the 'skin chemistry' thing, of course. Still, if Sam's never tried it, I think it would certainly be one for him to check out if possible. When I think, 'rose' and 'gentleman's scent', Hammam springs to mind immediately. I wish I had some I could send him, but I've only got a tiny bit of the A/S left, and if I know Sam, he'd want the cologne ( chuckle ).
Regards,
Gordon
Gordon, that's what I was getting at: Sam told me he has tried it and found it too powdery. But you're right, I find Hammam Bouquet the ultimate rose scent (though I confess I haven't tried C&S 88).

Regards,
Regards,
Tim

Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Yup, Hamman is powdery on me, and Blenheim, I get pine cones really bad. Floris 89 was a light cologne on me. Not much more staying power than Acqua di Parma Colonia, which I love, but last 4 hours.

I know I can do rose, as I am wearing today the Le Labo Rose 31. To me, that smells like the rose in Colonia, but with what they say is cummin, just a wee bit of spice to add depth and perhaps staying power to the rose. Yet it is just a pleasant sort of scent, nothing that really says that I have to have it.

Now, maybe roses are not my bag, to be honest. I tried the Domenico Rose scent, but it is also known as the 1913, not to be confused with the Ivy League scent they have. It is the scent that Chris F. sent me some shave cream, and it has woods under it. The rose colognes I have sampled many times the rose is there, but it starts out rose and then goes to a supporting role. The Different Company's Rose Poivree starts out peppery, and then after 3 hours, the rose becomes more prominent, but by then the pepper has given such an effect that it is a rosey pepper scent at that point.

The Le Labo is nice, don't get me wrong, but at the price of around $120 for 100ml, you want something to be better.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Sam, Well, there's always JOY ( chuckle ).
Regards,
Gordon
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

bernards66 wrote:Sam, Well, there's always JOY ( chuckle ).
Regards,
Gordon
I have not met her. Donde esta? Or were you talking about the dishwashing detergent, and in that case, I like DAWN
reggiano

Post by reggiano »

Chanel Egoiste (not the platinum) has lovely rose notes, as well as cinnamon, vanilla and sandalwood. Excellent longevity as well.
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

I got a deal, I think, on Creed Fluer Bulgarie or whatever it is. 2.5 ounce size for about $114.00. If I can share it with wife, that would be fine, and if neither of us like it, should be able to recoup my money.
Bargepole
Beam me up Scotty

Post by Bargepole »

Ladies' stuff, Sam. That's the place to go for rose since the perfumers don;t think it's something men will buy. Elizabethan Rose (Penhaligon) is pretty much as good as it gets. Voleur des Roses has been mentioned before - an edgy rose/patchouli (but I think you said you hated patchouli, or maybe it was someone else). The rose in Acqua di Parma isn't all that fine, to me. Annick Goutal's Rose Absolu is brilliant, and Ce Soir ou Jamais is even better, with a real sparkle to it. Creed's Feuilles Vert is an interesting take on things, but the rose is quite subtle. I can't see your list while I'm typing this, but if Flechier's "Une Rose" (Fr. Malle editions) isn't on it, it should be, but you'll love it or hate it. Fleur de Thé Rose Bulgarie (Creed) is also a masterpiece, as is their Fleur de la Rose. Serge Lutens Sa Majesté La Rose is very formal and splendid. Rose d'Homme has a woody patchouli base & is rather curious and destabilizing; I love it. And don't forget Chris Sheldrake's masterpiece, Fumerie Turque. Stick yourself in a shisha-café somewhere in old Damascus. It's a dark balmy Syrian evening. You are wearing a soft old silk shirt and cream flannel trousers. You are smoking a hubble-bubble with cool, tarry Latakia and suave Yenidje tobacco, laced with honey. Coffee and cardamom scents rise from your coffee-cup. On the table is a great bunch of real Damask roses, the ones that smell of midnight in the garden of good and evil.

Now bottle it. You've got Fumerie Turque.

Of these, my top five would probably be

Fumerie Turcque
Voleur des Roses
Sa Majesté la Rose
Fleur de Thé Rose
ELizabethan Rose

Oops - just saw you got the Bulgarian Tea-Rose. Well, lovely choice. Enjoy!
Michael

People say it's never too late. How wrong they are. --Felix Dennis
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Michael, I have a bell jar and half of a bell jar of Fumerie. I do get the roses, and smokiness. In fact, it is my #1 scent. I am told that the Parfums Rosine are not all that long lasting. I tried THe Different Company Rose Poivree and got much pepper and then 'some' rose. Also wore today Le Labo Rose 31, and it was a rose and then it had just a little bit of spice (I am told that is the cummin) sparkle. SOme say it is rose and woods and spices, but the woods and other spices hid on me. Not much projection, but it did last.

I was told to try Paestum Rose by Eau d'Italie. I am also lemming a Montale, either Black Aoud, Damascus or Rose Petals. But if the Creed really works, then I am gonna stick with that and get me Red Vetyver by Montale.

I like a medium rose. I dont want it too sweet, but the darker roses also dont work. Voleur de Roses on me was raw earth and it really overshadowed the rose. I am told that was the patchouli, and maybe that is the scent in Black Aoud that overshadows its rose as well. Attar in Montale was rose and sandalwood - see, Gordon, I can pick some things out, lol - but it was maybe a bit just too sweet of rose and the sandalwood got to the powdery/perfumey side and just started to turn creamy vanilla and I want more of something to be an attention getter.

Ill check out some others. Some of the Parfums Rosine roses are citrus and I for some reason have to be careful. Orange (Hermes scents and Tangerine Vert by MIller Harris) seem to work, but lemons do not. I used to wear Eau Savage regularly in the early 80's but now, most lemons are the bitter type, like furniture polish or citronella oil. Even Drakkar Noir turns rancid on me. But Fumerie does well (also liked Chergui).
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

Well, now I'm sold on the Fumerie Turque. Thanks a whole bunch, Michael and Sam. :wink:

Regards,
Regards,
Tim

fisherc

Post by fisherc »

Try Lorenzo Villoresi's Musk scent. It's got a very dominant dirty rose note.

Also, FM's Une Rose is as good as Rose (with a masculine twist) gets. It's very heavy and personally I use the scented body cream. A dab on the pulse points lasts all day. For me it is a cool weather only scent due to the "weight."

Chris