A/S that smells of cloves

What kind of fragrances do you prefer?
D.Irving79
The Great Lord Protector of the SE!

A/S that smells of cloves

Post by D.Irving79 »

something sweet with a pleasant drydown. NO POWDER NOTES. recommendations please. thanks.
Aztecface

Post by Aztecface »

Trumper's Milk of Flowers. A delightful cologne/aftershave. I use it from time to time and it is quite different.

Edit: Aha... I saw the no powdery notes.... this might be impossible. Perhaps Trumper's Bay Rum. A very sweet Bay Rum.
Regards,
Jani
D.Irving79

Post by D.Irving79 »

yeah thats one thing i dont like is a powder or oak moss in my scents.

i smelled a bay rum at bath and body works yesterday that smelled STRONGLY of cloves when i put it on but the dry down didnt have as much, so i didnt buy it. but now i REALLY want something that smells of cloves.

thanks a lot :wink:
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Dave, Those are the two that I thought of immediately as well. Some bay rums, like the Trumpers, have very marked clove notes. But bay rums do not generally have a lot of staying power; that's just the nature of them. There may be some expensive 'boutique' scents that are heavy on the clove, but if so, I'll let others deal with that end of it.
Regards,
Gordon
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Ogallala Bay Rum Double Reserve. It smells different from the regular cologne version in that the cloves are a much more dominant scent. They are quite present for a while on the dry down too. The cologne version smells more of the wintergreen and less clovey.

The nice thing is that if you want a sample I think you can get it from the guy who makes the stuff. He's very responsive to email. Google his site because I forget the addy. Send him an email and see if he'll sell you a sample pack. Hope that helps.

Chris
D.Irving79

Post by D.Irving79 »

thanks everyone so far 8)
Bargepole
Beam me up Scotty

Post by Bargepole »

I'd concur with the Trumper Bay Rum, but it is indeed fugitive.

Trouble is clove itself. It's a bitch. Almost as volatile as a citrus, but anything you can fix it with turns into a lion-house hogo. Years and years ago I played around with locking it onto castoreum & though I quite liked it everyone said it smelt like a cheap embalmer's shop on a hot day. And of course you can't get the castoreum any more. Musk & civet just won't do, the heavy woods smell very odd with it; it will hook onto vanilla but the result is foodie and strange, and fixing it over orris is not only powdery but a waste of both. I suppose lavandine, my old fave dihydromyrcenol and Ambroxan might work but wouldn't really cohere; I don't know of anyone who's tried it. I suspect it would be a bit shouty. You might hold it down with a bunch of galbanum and one of those in-your-face nitro musks, (spicy/green/animalic) but they're banned now (hence the weediness of Brut nowadays).

So... the answer is, I guess, that it's got to be a more or less single-note clove, which means it's going to be fugitive and that's just the laws of nature at work.
Michael

People say it's never too late. How wrong they are. --Felix Dennis
D.Irving79

Post by D.Irving79 »

bargepole. you are quite mad.

:wink:
BlankTim

Post by BlankTim »

Murray and Lanman Florida Water.

The opening note is grassy, almost "skunky" and probably Vetyver, but I've never smelled the real thing so I may be wrong. It just strikes me as being a "Vetyver" scent. If you don't care for Vetyver, avoid this as it remains the predominant scent throughout, though it does fade nicely on dry down.

Mid notes are Citrus, mostly orange, but there's something else in there I can't quite figure out.

Base notes are very much Clove based, and occasionally I imagine can smell a little leather as well.

On me, the scent is good for about 30 minutes or so.
Still, a very classy, and classic, AS. It has assumed a regular spot in my kit.

EDIT: And, as mentioned above, a good Bay Rum will do the trick as well.
-Tim
...So I lathered him with me shillelagh...
JohnP
Hookahman

Post by JohnP »

To me, anyway, the bay rum from Burts Bees is pretty potent with clove as is Masters.
Or, if it's just a clove scent fix you seek, try the shave secret oil. Supposedly it is a jack of all trades shave oil that works as an a/s also. Don't know-but I like it and it has LOTS of clove oil in it.

Hopefully you find what you seek.

John P.
paperpundit

Post by paperpundit »

Dave,

Get ye to a hippie store. Many of them have perfume oils you can either mix or use (sparingly) as a cologne. My guess is you can either land on something you like or, mad man that you are, mix something to your tastes.
Jack

"All you need is love, love...love is all you need."
Bargepole
Beam me up Scotty

Post by Bargepole »

D.Irving79 wrote:bargepole. you are quite mad.

Not so mad I didn't get out of the perfumery trade before it ate my soul. They're all like that there...
Michael

People say it's never too late. How wrong they are. --Felix Dennis
D.Irving79

Post by D.Irving79 »

Bargepole wrote:

Not so mad I didn't get out of the perfumery trade before it ate my soul. They're all like that there...

i can imagine... i think.

thanks everyone. youre making my search a lot more........"streamlined".
Scrapyard Ape

Post by Scrapyard Ape »

D.Irving79 wrote:
Bargepole wrote:

i can imagine... i think.

thanks everyone. youre making my search a lot more........"streamlined".
Search schmerch.... Make yer own, sez I! Just don't burn down the local elementary school or anything. :wink:
~Greg
D.Irving79

Post by D.Irving79 »

sure, ill grind up a pack of djarums and stick it in witch hazel :P
Scrapyard Ape

Post by Scrapyard Ape »

D.Irving79 wrote:sure, ill grind up a pack of djarums and stick it in witch hazel :P
If this works, I'll nominate you for a Nobel prize.

Yeah, I've smoked Djarums. Very over rated and not worth the money. Better go with off the shelf cloves.
~Greg
the_prince

Post by the_prince »

DUNHILL EDITION has plenty of clove in it and is one of the few designer scents that I like.
Best Regards,
Sami
Sando

Post by Sando »

Dave, you may want to look into SCS Bay Rhum with a Twist. It has a strong clove note. So much so that it's not good for me. It's a cologne so maybe you can cut it.

...Ray
Jukkie

Post by Jukkie »

I don't have as much experience in the field as other people here, but from my limited experience, Royall Bay Rum is pretty clovey
D.Irving79

Post by D.Irving79 »

thanks everyone again. this is going to take me a while. i can see it. haha.