Coronation #58

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
Earl Gray

Coronation #58

Post by Earl Gray »

Hi chaps,is it safe to assume that all the Coronation #58`s were made in 1953,or this is not the case?

Regards,Richard
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Richard, Yeah, '53 pretty much.
Regards,
Gordon
Earl Gray

Post by Earl Gray »

Thanks for that Gordon. I suppose,with hind sight,that was a bloody silly question! :roll:

Regards,Richard
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

On a somewhat unrelated note, Coronation Street started in 1960, seven years after the Coronation razor.
Richard
MTgrayling

Post by MTgrayling »

Here's what the exterior of the case looks like in case anyone is interested.

Chris

"Smell the Bakelite, smell it!"
ThePossum

Post by ThePossum »

MTgrayling wrote:Here's what the exterior of the case looks like in case anyone is interested.

Hey Chris,

Did the Coronation #58 case come with the scuffs and tears? :P :P No matter a nice looking case.
Bryce

My Shave Stuff
The Original Safety Too - An SE Razor Forum
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Bryce, What the hell?....at least he HAS a case ( chuckle ),,,I don't; not for the Model #58 anyway.
Regards,
Gordon
MTgrayling

Post by MTgrayling »

I had two #58's at one time, both with different cases. Now I just have the one on the left.

That Coronation #58 picture was stolen from an eBay auction just before the razor was stolen with a low BIN offer. Many people at another forum didn't believe the Coronation #58 had a crown embossed on the case.
Chris

ThePossum

Post by ThePossum »

bernards66 wrote:Bryce, What the hell?....at least he HAS a case ( chuckle ),,,I don't; not for the Model #58 anyway.
Regards,
Gordon
Gordon,

Just trying to inject some humor here. Please pardon my finding humor in most situations in life. :D

Maybe he will sell you this case. Seems it is better than nothing! :D
Bryce

My Shave Stuff
The Original Safety Too - An SE Razor Forum
Earl Gray

Post by Earl Gray »

Chris,I have owned 3 #58`s and none have had the embossed case,what determind which ones had and which ones didnt?

Regards,Richard
MTgrayling

Post by MTgrayling »

Earl Gray wrote:Chris,I have owned 3 #58`s and none have had the embossed case,what determind which ones had and which ones didnt?

Regards,Richard
Richard, As far as I know only the "Coronation" editions came with the crown cases. These seem to be extremely rare and I need to find one for my collection.
Chris

Cigar Dan

Post by Cigar Dan »

ThePossum wrote: Hey Chris,

Did the Coronation #58 case come with the scuffs and tears? :P :P No matter a nice looking case.
Most folks here are proud of their razor collections--whether they are elaborate (such as Chris's), or a modest number of common razors. It is poor form to make fun of either.
Danny
brz90

Post by brz90 »

My #58 isn't part of a coronation set, but my #66 is. They were only produced in the coronation year. Gillette advertised the coronation sets with this poster:
Image Image
ichabod
Mackem

Post by ichabod »

rustyblade wrote:On a somewhat unrelated note, Coronation Street started in 1960, seven years after the Coronation razor.
According to my extensive (one Google search) research, nobody is shown to live at #58 Coronation Street. But Ken Barlow was in episode 1, and is still on the programme.

What was the question again?
Give us the luxuries, and we will forgo the necessities.
Give a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire, he'll be toasty for the rest of his life.
Dominic
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Dominic, A.....thanks for sharing......?....sigh.....
Regards,
Gordon
brz90

Post by brz90 »

According to my intensive google research 58 Coronation Street is the home in Blackpool Lancashire of 'Pollys Bloomers'. But perhaps this is off topic. Sorry.
Slant-Fan

Post by Slant-Fan »

I have two of that model both with cases. Like Chris's one has the loop the TTO fits into and the other does not. Neither one has the crown. So what I fail to understand is if the model 58 which is an HD Rocket with a different knurling on the handle was only made in '53 why are there cases without the crown? Could it be that they are all "Coronations" and that some had the crown on the case and some did not?
Regards,

jimmy
brz90

Post by brz90 »

Slant-Fan wrote:So what I fail to understand is if the model 58 which is an HD Rocket with a different knurling on the handle was only made in '53 why are there cases without the crown? Could it be that they are all "Coronations" and that some had the crown on the case and some did not?
The #58 wasn't only made in 1953 but (probably) between 1949/50 and 1954/55.
My reason for saying that is that some of them are marked patent pending and some have the patent number and so were produced after the patent was awarded. The 1953 razors whether #58s or #66s are marked patent pending. If there is a patent number the razor will be later than 1953. My #58 is patent pending but without the crown on the box so I guess it is 1952 or earlier.