Russian Green Box 7 O'clock Blades, a Review

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
Mattinnc

Mystery Explained

Post by Mattinnc »

I found the Yellow Box 7's to be right up there in my top 3 blades when I tried them a few months back. So far my shaving with the newest 7's from India have been good shaves, but not as good as the Yellow originals.

I thought this was due to some unexplained reason like maybe they just didn't work in my Merkur HD as well as the Yellow's did in my Gillette Slim.

Reading these posts, clears things up a bit, as I see the Yellows are being evaluated as being sharper.

Shaving every second or third day .... I like using the sharpest blades around ............. Feathers being my number 1.

Matt
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Matt, the 7s across the board are good blades, I will be posting a review on the black box versions shortly, but the yellow box ones are the real standout.
Regards,
Squire
Mattinnc

Post by Mattinnc »

Thanks Squire,

Just checked your review. I also checked to see how many of the Yellow Box 7's I have left .... and there is "enough" for me to not have to worry about running out of them in the near future.

Matt
Mattinnc

This blade was terrific this morning in my Slim.

Post by Mattinnc »

Hi Squire,

With your recent comments in mind, I used my Slim with the Green Box 7'O Clock ............ since I had been unimpressed with its performance in my HD.

I had a 3.5 day growth and my Slim was set at 7. No special prep. just a shower.

I got an excellent shave after upping the setting to 9 for the usual touch up areas.

This combo "sang" similar to my Futur / Feather combination which is my standard.

Also I shaved in record time .... something I would never attempt using the Futur.

Matt
Slickster514

Post by Slickster514 »

Can can you tell if a blade has a coating or not, assuming its not indicated on the packaging as in this case?
Bob in TX

Re: Russian Green Box 7 O'clock Blades, a Review

Post by Bob in TX »

I pulled out another Gillette 7 O’Clock Green Super Stainless blade this week. I just finished my 5th close, smooth shave in my Slim set on “6”. For me, it is right up there with the Gillette Silver Blue (have 100+/-) and Gillette Platinum (have 50+/-). I think they are an "under appreciated" blade.

As always, YMMV.

I am going to go ahead and order 100 this time: $20.69 shipped.

Yep, I like the Personna Med Preps (have 100 +/-), Polsilver SI’s, Perma-Sharp’s, Rapira Platinum Lux, Voskhod’s, Viking Sword’s, and Israeli Red Personna’s too. I like to have some variety. I don’t use any blade that I can’t get at least 4 great shaves from.

BPman

Post by BPman »

Interestingly, on a British shave forum this blade was rated the highest in a large anonymous blind shave test. I have used maybe 10 of these in the past year and I am onboard with Bob in TX that this is a gem "sleeper". Then again, I never met a Russian Gillette blade I didn't love. The price has come down on these recently on Ebay as well.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Well that's good to hear, quality is still there and the price has gone down.
Regards,
Squire
Rufust445

Post by Rufust445 »

And, judging from Bob's photo, they seem to have the same glue arrangement with the wrapper as the Astra SS blades I've been using. That is livable, vs. the 7 o'clock yellows, a pack of which I have relegated to the back shelf. Have an inquiry in to one eBay seller about quantity for the price. If the right answer comes back, the trigger will be pulled.

As always with blades, et. al., YMMV.
BPman

Post by BPman »

Rufus, I just bought 100 for $14.99 shipped the other day on the 'bay. What made me pull the trigger was that I had one left and used it the other day which reminded me yet again just how damned good this blade is. That, coupled with this superb price, made me do it, :wink:

Funny thing, I could never get this performance from either of the two Made in India 7 O'clock blades, the green Permasharp Stainless & the black 'Ninja". Since Bob in TX has almost the same exact taste in Gillette Russian blades as me I would be curious re his opinions of the two Made In India 7 O'clock blades as compared to the Russian ones. Bob?
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I give the Russians a slight edge.
Regards,
Squire
BPman

Post by BPman »

Squire wrote:I give the Russians a slight edge.
Pun intended. :P :wink:
mustang_john

Post by mustang_john »

I use the Yellow 7 O'clock exclusively, bought 100 blades for £10 few months back and they should last me about 18 months at current rate of usage.
Can't fault them in any way, even when compared to Feathers, which I find blunt far quicker.

John.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Feathers do blunt quickly which is the price paid for their unique sharpness. Not worth it for everybody though. I could live comfortably with yellow 7 O'clocks as my only choice.
Regards,
Squire
ThePossum

Post by ThePossum »

Took your advice a few years ago Squire and now use the Yellow 7'Oclock blades exclusively in my DE's. Thanks for the tip and the many great blade reviews you did. They helped me chose the right blade for me.
Bryce

My Shave Stuff
The Original Safety Too - An SE Razor Forum
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Used one this morning Bryce, still right up there at the top compared to others I've used.
Regards,
Squire
BPman

Post by BPman »

The more I use this blade (7 O'clock SS) the more I am impressed. That's no easy feat after approx. three yrs. of DE shaving & over 40 of wet shaving. I can make this blade sing with even the most mediocre of soaps & creams. When used with a top tier soap or cream it almost makes me feel like I'm cheating. :lol: :wink:

I think it may be time to do some SxS objective testing against my beloved Rubie Patinum Plus.
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Italian Barber has these for $9.99 per 100, down from like $26.99. Took a flyer on them. Maggards had them for about $27 and they are priced higher than the yellows there.
brothers

Post by brothers »

I believe these are made in India as well as Russia. These and their Yellow box siblings are considered the two most highly regarded current production blades by those who use them. This is not my own opinion, but the authority I am referring to is a lengthy blind comparison that was posted on the British forum The Shaving Room three or four years ago. These two blades were tops in several of the most common catagories. Yellow Russian and Green Indian specifically.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444