Simpson Shedding - I know, do a Search!

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
RJ

Simpson Shedding - I know, do a Search!

Post by RJ »

So I have been in denial about my new (old) Simpson PL8 for a few weeks now. I got it back around April or May - actually it was probably the last PL8 in Best sold by the old ownership, whenever that was.

It was great at first. Then it started shedding about 1-2 hairs per shave. Now it is at about 5 per shave. I know that's not a big deal, but it really sucks pulling the hairs out of my lathered face.

So is 5 hairs a shave enough to complain about? What should I do about it? Is the old shedding Simpson better than the new product that could/might replace it? Am I better off dealing with it and just replacing it in 5 years, or making a big production for a new one now?

I know there are other threads on this, but I couldn't find one eyeballing it and the new search is too exhausting.

Please help brush gurus.
drP
Shaving Brush Stockpiler

Post by drP »

I would contact Vulfix about this...a "broken in" Simpsons should loose no hairs imo, not even one single bristle...
Last edited by drP on Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peter
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

I just went thorough this same scenario, I finally caved from the floating hairs in my lather and mailed it back to Vulfix, a new one is on it's way to me as we speak.
Regards,
Marty
---------------------------------------------------

"Be still! Me mind is a raging torrent flooded with rivulets of thought cascading in a waterfall of creative alternatives."
Slant-Fan

Post by Slant-Fan »

Personally I would keep it for awhile and see if it doesn't settle down. I don't know how true it is but I once read in a thread on this topic that a shaving brush has something like 15,000 hairs. I know that when I had a shedding Plisson JJ at Atkinson's told me to keep and use it for three months and see if it stabilized. They did replace it with another Plisson after the three months. I don't know if a shedding Simpson is worth more then a Vulfix but I would prefer the original. Good luck with it.
Regards,

jimmy
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

RJ, No need to do a search, just see Marion's thread right next to this one ( chuckle ).
Regards,
Gordon
ichabod
Mackem

Post by ichabod »

I've posted several times that the occasional shed hair isn't a problem. That said, my newly acquired "broken in" PJ2 has not shed one single hair since I got it. Not one. I'm very impressed.
Give us the luxuries, and we will forgo the necessities.
Give a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire, he'll be toasty for the rest of his life.
Dominic
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Dominic, Glad to hear it ( chuckle ).
Regards,
Gordon
RJ

Post by RJ »

Ah, I guess the answers were literally right under my nose. Woops! Any thoughts on how the Vulfix compares to the Old Simpson? Same badger hair? Same soft yet scrubby feeling? Its kind of cool to have one of the last Simpsons, but it is more cool to have a brush like Dominic's that doesn't shed a single hair. By the way, is yours new stock or old?

Today my brush shed 6 hairs during the shave, and another when I was shaking it dry. I am not overly aggresive with my brush given what I have read on the forum. I do mostly painting motions, with occassional swirls against the grain. I do swirl on the soap puck on days I go with soap, but not that hard or even for very long.

Anyway, I guess I have a decision to make. The thing that really stinks is this is my only brush now. I let my dad borrow my old Omega and it came back green and then the knot just fell out of the handle (what the h*@L did he do to that poor thing?)
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

RJ wrote:Ah, I guess the answers were literally right under my nose. Woops! Any thoughts on how the Vulfix compares to the Old Simpson? Same badger hair? Same soft yet scrubby feeling?
Sadly, those are the exact two things that are missing.
goose

Post by goose »

RJ,

Since your brush was purchased last spring, I am guessing Vulfix was already supplying the hair for it. It used to be that the bristle Simpson used in its Best models was softer and the Super's had a thicker gauge bristle that was a bit firmer and more scrubby. It seems this has been reversed since Vulfix has taken over production. The current Best models are on the scrubby side, and the Super models have been more similar to the bristle used in the Rooney Heritage brushes. Very soft tips, with finer bristle. If you enjoy that scrubby sensation it is likely you would be pleased with the current Best models.

Clint
Last edited by goose on Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hamelfarm1

Post by hamelfarm1 »

Five hairs per shave is definitely a shedder in my book, if you've been using it since you bought it, however you say it's only been a few weeks. If it is only a few weeks, then it may yet still stabilise.

My 18 month-odd old pre-Vulfix Simpson X2L started shedding a few weeks ago losing one to two hairs per shave, but then it started losing anything up to ten hairs per shave. I was a bit cagey about sending it back in, given that it was a proper old Simpson, but in the end I decided to send it back for a new one, mainly because from what I've read the Vulfix made Simpsons appear to be at least as good, if not better than the original Simpsons, albeit with different hair being used.
Steve
MadAussie

Post by MadAussie »

use the old search

http://shavemyface.com/forum/search.php

still works, just the link is gone.
-- Stu, the mad Australian living in Virginia :: Come on you Irons!! WHUFC --
- Honed on the grave stone of Bruce Lee -
RJ

Post by RJ »

Thanks for the tip Aussie, that is great to know! So I guess I will have to contact the company and request another. I hate having to be that guy, but whatever. Hopefully I have the same luck you all did.
mission of burma shave

Post by mission of burma shave »

same thing happened to me and Vulfix replaced it with no questions asked. I have a Vulfix made PJ2 in Best now. Great customer service from Vulfix. Top Drawer.
regards,

mj
Barbarosa

Post by Barbarosa »

Hi,

Just contact Vulfix, they will take care of it (will send a replacement). The Vulfix's Simpsons do not shed; however, you might find that the bristles are a little longer compared with your current brush.

Regards,
Alfred
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

RJ, Dominic's PJ2 Best came from me, and originally it was bought by Gareth in England. Although it was bought shortly before we got the word that Vulfix had acquired Simpson, I am almost positive that that PJ2 was made by Vulfix. It didn't lose a single bristle when I had it either. And it was pretty firm and just a tad 'scritchy', rather different bristle than the older Simpson Bests I have/have had.
Regards,
Gordon
Churchill

Post by Churchill »

I have recently become disheartened with my Simpson brushes also.The Polo that I bought from a member here has begun to shed a few bristles every shave as has my newly purchased Tulip. As soon as I receive my Emillion that is in the mail I will probably not use my Simpson's as much.
I know everyone says send them back,but I think I'll keep mine and just not buy anymore. I have a shavemac,Edwin Jagger,Rooney and an Omega boar that have never shed so I see no reason to continue to give Simpson/Vulfix my business.The only Simpson I have that hasn't shed is my cheapo Special in best and I'll use it for travel mainly.
Bob
minderasr

Post by minderasr »

Barbarosa wrote:The Vulfix's Simpsons do not shed
Actually that's not quite true (although my case may be the exception). I recently purchased a Vulfix made Simpsons T3. And it was a shedder. After about 2 weeks (and easily 30+ hairs) I contacted the vendor for an exchange. Hopefully the new T3 won't shed.

On another note, the vendor did make a comment about "the chubby problem", but did not elaborate.
-= Jim =-

"If your knot flops and splays you are working it too hard."
Barbarosa

Post by Barbarosa »

minderasr wrote:
Barbarosa wrote:The Vulfix's Simpsons do not shed
Actually that's not quite true (although my case may be the exception). I recently purchased a Vulfix made Simpsons T3. And it was a shedder. After about 2 weeks (and easily 30+ hairs) I contacted the vendor for an exchange. Hopefully the new T3 won't shed.

On another note, the vendor did make a comment about "the chubby problem", but did not elaborate.
Hello,

That's definitely not encouraging. I was hoping they would have put these problems behind, and so far I haven't had any shedding complaints about the Vulfix-made Simpsons. Maybe it was just a matter of luck. I really think they have to improve the overall quality controls and consistency (density, bulb shape and badger hair selection) if they want to keep Simpsons as an upscale brand. Vulfix certainly has the resources to make things right.

Regards,
Alfred
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Bob, What can I say? Right next to this thread is one complaining about shedding Rooneys. Hopefully, Vulfix will pull the QC/consistancy issue under control. Personally, I've never had a Simpson that shed, neither the ones from several years ago, nor the two or three that I suspect were actually made by Vulfix. I kind of suspect that it's difficult to make very dense brushes that stay entirely intact. Years back, Simpson had some serious long time artisans who did the work, and those folks are in really short supply these days.
Regards,
Gordon