Video On Lathering MWF?

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!

MWF Lathering Video?

Poll ended at Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:51 am

Sure
82%
Nah
18%

Total votes: 44

ScottS

Post by ScottS »

I think you might have trouble filtering out the halo that floats six inches above the bowl, and it might wash out the rest of your frame.
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

ScottS wrote:I think you might have trouble filtering out the halo that floats six inches above the bowl, and it might wash out the rest of your frame.
Yup - that could cause a bit of trouble for sure. Especially with the wooly fly-aways that linger from the sheep. :wink:
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
markuskoe

Post by markuskoe »

yes please make a video !!!! !!!
i just cant get a good lather with mwf, i have tried so many soaps and with EVERYONE it was easier to get a good lather, so actually i think its a water problem and not my technique, but i would like to see what it looks like when you lather it !
AFG

Post by AFG »

This soap seems to be mentioned much more than any other to have lathering problems.It almost stopped me from buying it although it turned out not to be a problem for me. Its a very good soap and with the popularity its gained I think it would be very helpful if someone should not be able to figure it out from your other videos. It will be interesting if you should find that it does require different technique to get it right.
Al
markuskoe

Post by markuskoe »

@mantic

are you still working on this video ?? cant wait to watch it
Steve

Post by Steve »

I couldn't vote, even when signed in. I say yes.

Steve
brz90

Post by brz90 »

Yes please!
JimR

Post by JimR »

george wrote:I've yet to find a video you have done that *isn't* useful, Mark. I recently switched to MWF and I *think* I am getting good lather from it. However, I'd like to see a pro do it so I can compare...
That's me all over.

I think I'm ok, but I have no real way of knowing if it could be BETTER.
IanS

Post by IanS »

I've never had any trouble coaxing a generous lather from MWF in just a few swirls, and I can't imagine my technique is anything special. However, here in Glasgow, the water is very soft indeed, and I suspect that this is a major factor. I've never used MWF on the road, but travelling to London - or even to Edinburgh, only 40 miles away, you notice immediately how much harder it is to work up a decent lather with ordinary toilet soap just to wash your hands.

But I'd certainly like to watch a video of the expert in action!

IanS
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Softer water is certainly a great contributor to copious lather from MWF. Ottawa, like Glasgow has very soft water so I am never at a loss for good lather -- and lots of it. :D
Wendell

Scorpio

Post by Scorpio »

I am still trying to understand why so many folks have a problem lathering this soap. I have never encountered any issues with this soap. I can understand water quality problems but outside of that it is just the same as any other soap.

Raf
"A well lathered face is only half of a good shave"
brothers

Post by brothers »

I'd watch. Please! :D
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Scorpio wrote:I am still trying to understand why so many folks have a problem lathering this soap. I have never encountered any issues with this soap. I can understand water quality problems but outside of that it is just the same as any other soap.

Raf
I'd simply be interested for the sake of to seeing the Fat on Youtube. :D
Wendell

ctakim

Post by ctakim »

Mark, any decisions made on this topic yet? Every video you have made on shaving has been fantastic. Your dedication is much appreciated!
The Seeker

Post by The Seeker »

I would love to see a video on lathering MWF. My local chemist sells Kent soap so a video would certainly help if I ever decide to go and grab a puck.
mantic
Wielder of the Zorrick

Post by mantic »

I will make a video on MWF lathering sometime early next year.

--Mark
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

mantic wrote:I will make a video on MWF lathering sometime early next year.

--Mark
Make sure to include lots of pic/snaps of them cute little yorkshire sheep who gladly sacrifice their woolfat to us wet-shavers. :wink:
Wendell

ChaoticWind

Post by ChaoticWind »

Early next year. Ohhh man. I got my puck today and the lather was terrible. I've gotten better lather with the Col. Conks and VDH. I got outstanding lather with the Trumper's cream. It must be something I'm doing wrong given the soaps excellent reputation. Oh well, I guess it's back to Proraso for me for a while.
- Claus
brothers

Post by brothers »

ChaoticWind wrote:Early next year. Ohhh man. I got my puck today and the lather was terrible. I've gotten better lather with the Col. Conks and VDH. I got outstanding lather with the Trumper's cream. It must be something I'm doing wrong given the soaps excellent reputation. Oh well, I guess it's back to Proraso for me for a while.
Please don't give up too easy. It takes just a little practice, and it's worth the effort. This afternoon I did a practice run on my MWF puck, and I did something very right. I got a wonderful lather today, even though I wasn't actually shaving. That puck's got magic in there, and once you get the right rhythm of water, soap, and brush going, all of a sudden, there it is.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

While I like to suggest that MWF has magical properties that require pixies to lather for you -- I have to admit that I personally don't find MWF that difficult to lather. A couple of tricks we fatties often talk about is to shake out your brush more than you normally would and then over-loading the brush with soap before you start to lather. By adding water a bit at a time, you can really build outstanding lather.

To be honest, it really isn't all that hard.

I also find that it is far better for face lathering than bowl lathering as well.

That's me, ymmv.
Wendell