That small dab of Palmolive on the cake: thanks for the tip!

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
paperfolder

That small dab of Palmolive on the cake: thanks for the tip!

Post by paperfolder »

I've been browsing the forum over the past couple of weeks, having recently joined :D . I, like some others on the forum, own a tube of Palmolive Lather Shave Cream, which I use primarily when I travel (which isn't often). I just recently had occasion to use the Palmolive on a cake of shaving soap I bought from a local soapmaker/craftsperson.

I really like the smell of this soap, which I would describe as an exotic mint. Problem is, the soapmaker did not get her creation quite right: I could not work up a decent lather with it (thin, runny). So I tried the dab of Palmolive on the cake and voila! a decent lather! Also, the minty scent shone through the Palmolive, which is what I'd hoped to preserve.

Thanks to whomever first posted the Palmolive tip (Gramps?)! There's lots of great information on this forum that I'm still exploring.

Glenn in Hershey, PA
"Against the assault of laughter nothing can stand." -- Mark Twain
Hugo
Paranoid Schizophrenic

Post by Hugo »

Where does anyone find this Palmolive??

Oh, and welcome paperfolder (Glenn). Sorry for hijacking your post.

Post by CRR »

Here's where I got a tube of it:

http://store.yahoo.com/physlabs/673852.html
Chris.

Steady Boy, Steady!
Hugo
Paranoid Schizophrenic

Post by Hugo »

Anyone buy this locally? If so, where?
paperfolder

Post by paperfolder »

Hugo:

You may want to try a small, non-chain drug store in your area, if you have one. That's where I found my Palmolive. I didn't have any luck at the larger, chain stores near me (e.g., Rite Aid, CVS, Eckerd, etc.).

Glenn in Hershey, PA
"Against the assault of laughter nothing can stand." -- Mark Twain
rtaylor61
Old Spice

Post by rtaylor61 »

Hugo,

The only place I have ever found it locally was at a Walgreens Pharmacy. They had one tube and it was on clearance! If you do find it, they offer to different tubes. If memory serves, you want the one with red printing. One is lathering, one is non-lathering.

Randy
"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." J. B. Books
Hugo
Paranoid Schizophrenic

Post by Hugo »

Well, I'll look for it locally. If not I guess at $2.83 it's not going to hurt the wallet.

Post by CRR »

If memory serves, you want the one with red printing. One is lathering, one is non-lathering.
Correct. The red is for use with a brush, the green tube is not.
Chris.

Steady Boy, Steady!
Enrico

Post by Enrico »

I have found Palmolive tubes, both red and green, in many local drug stores and grocery stores here in eastern PA.
I think if you look around you'll find it.

Steve
Austin
Don't mess with Texas!

Post by Austin »

Hugo, if you can't find it pm me and I will give you mine.
Classyjack

Post by Classyjack »

Rite Aid stores in the DC area. Best, John.
Hugo
Paranoid Schizophrenic

Post by Hugo »

Well, chalk one more product up on the "can't find it locally in Wisconsin" board. Aargh!!!

Post by ShavetheBadger »

If you're still looking for that palmolive, I've found the green tubes in a city named Fez, which is in central Morocco. It sells for about 1 dihram, which is about 14cents Canadian, or about 12cents American. If I ever go back I'll buy $5 worth and bring one back for everybody.

How can it be sold at a profit for 14cents? We buy it from the same company (colgate-palmolive) @ $2+/tube!

Hope you find it.

Matt
Has anyone here actually tried to shave a badger? It's more difficult than you would think.

Check out Thomas Anthony Company shaving brushes.
Hugo
Paranoid Schizophrenic

Post by Hugo »

Matt,
Austin was kind enough (and generous enough) to send me a tube of the Palmolive Lather Cream. Thank you for the offer though. You still might want to pick some up and offer them here. That would be a great offer to those who cannot find it locally.

BTW, this cream is very good.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Morning Glenn,

The Palmolive on shaving soap idea is one that surfaces occasionally on the shaving boards because it is a good suggestion. I recall mentioning it about a year and a half ago as a way of using up small slivers of expensive bath soap as well.

You can of course use one of the top shaving creams to achieve the same results but the frugality of the Palmolive is more appealing to those who would like to save a little money.
Regards,
Squire
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Afternoon, Yes, it's a suggestion that comes up periodically. It's a suggestion that I've frequently made to newcomers on Wetshavers, who, for one reason or another, did not want to spend much money starting out with traditional shaving, but still, wanted something that worked well. I would suggest a cake of Williams shave soap with a dab of the Palmolive cream added for extra richness of lather. This combination is quite effective, very inexpensive, and often, locally available. The Palmolive is still being sold at CVS pharmacys in my area ( FL ), and I just saw it at Harmons here in NJ. It's around.
Regards,
Gordon
crackstar

Post by crackstar »

Gordon, Chris, my parents who live in Florida recently brought me 3 tubes of Palmolive lather cream. I have a feeling these tubes will last me a good 2 years! Even dad likes shaving with it sometimes.

Jeff