Video On Lathering MWF?

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!

MWF Lathering Video?

Poll ended at Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:51 am

Sure
82%
Nah
18%

Total votes: 44

razorcat

Post by razorcat »

a video demo would be great!

Eddie
ChaoticWind

Post by ChaoticWind »

I'm gonna keep trying. I just found out yesterday that my company's sending my out of town for at least three weeks so it'll have to wait until I return. I'm looking forward to it. Nothing like a really good shower and shave at home after a few weeks on the road.
- Claus
mantic
Wielder of the Zorrick

Post by mantic »

Any suggested vendors to get a good price on MWF?

--Mark
Trumperman
Bill Extraordinaire

Post by Trumperman »

mantic wrote:Any suggested vendors to get a good price on MWF?

--Mark

Mark, one would think that Wendell would happily send some MWF your way for the good of the cause! :lol: :lol:

(I hope he sees this topic)

Regards,

Bill
Don't think......shave.
JimR

Post by JimR »

Trumperman wrote:
mantic wrote:Any suggested vendors to get a good price on MWF?

--Mark

Mark, one would think that Wendell would happily send some MWF your way for the good of the cause! :lol: :lol:

(I hope he sees this topic)

Regards,

Bill
Barring that, Paul at connaughtshaving has good prices, and maybe the Shaveshack. Stick to UK vendors, even with the crazy exchange rates they beat US vendors any day.
Boyextraordinare

Post by Boyextraordinare »

I want to see a video of someone brewing up a decent lather with a easy-to-appropriate, non-shave soap - eg, Ivory.
brothers

Post by brothers »

Boyextraordinare wrote:I want to see a video of someone brewing up a decent lather with a easy-to-appropriate, non-shave soap - eg, Ivory.
You just volunteered. Let us know when it's ready. I'll watch.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Boyextraordinare

Post by Boyextraordinare »

I can barely whip up a lather with proper shavign cream/soap...
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

It will be good practice for you.
Regards,
Marty
---------------------------------------------------

"Be still! Me mind is a raging torrent flooded with rivulets of thought cascading in a waterfall of creative alternatives."
mantic
Wielder of the Zorrick

Post by mantic »

Seth at grooming-health.com was kind enough to send me some MWF to work with. Thank you Seth!

--Mark
mantic
Wielder of the Zorrick

Post by mantic »

So...after an embarassing 2 year wait :oops: I finally made a video about lathering MWF! I hope it was worth the wait. Its certainly my most complicated video from the "production" standpoint.

--Mark
brothers

Post by brothers »

Great video Mark. Thanks.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

well i realy thought i ditched the idea of a MWF video

glad you didn't

great job and i was laughing when the clip for started

thanks
marc
Flash G

Post by Flash G »

At last!

Great video, Mark!

I just lather MWF as any other soap with my Vulfix 2235 :D
Eric
JarmoP

Post by JarmoP »

Thank you Mark for another nice shaving video.

I may not agree on you submercing the MFW on the sink as it will for sure make the subsequent shaves worse than the first good one. It is the same as with any tallow soaps be it a bath soap. Might be true to non tallow as well. They loose the goodness they have as virgin pucks or as bath soaps.

It is one thing I never understood, soaking the soap.

Yes, working the puck more than say easier soaps like Tabac. And go with a dry shaken brush. Need not be stiffer really, just takes maybe half minute with me at least.

Good thing you told that maybe with hard water the Fat is not so ideal. For those who have hard water and wonder why all this liking we have is not working for them.
Jarmo
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

not to start anything here,,,just my comment,,

i am in southern new jersey and the water (wooder as we say) is very hard..

i used MWF more than my trumpers soaps and i have no problems making lather and i make lather exactly the same as with any other shave soap..

just for the record,,my lather comes out exactly like the lather in marks video

marc
GA Russell

Post by GA Russell »

Great video Mark! Your strange(!) ideas paid off with a beautiful lather.
Rapira Swedish Supersteel
Fitness
Lijun badger
Gillette 1948-1950 Super Speed
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

good video. I liked the hard brush scene....looked like it came straight out of a gangster movie hahahahaha

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Marc - we of the Following of the Fat salute you!! I have used all these steps at some point in time - although I have never fully soaked the dish with the soap in the sink. Over time, I have found that the Fat can be used as any other soap so long as I face lather. Newbies to the fat will do well to follow these steps initially, and over time will gain a greater comfort level with the product.

I never have considered myself a traditional shaving elitist - I think that's a compliment, yes? :wink:

----Spoiler Alert----
I did notice how you parked the porcelain dish lid on the corner of your sink -- My heart went in my mouth when I saw this as in my mind's eye, I could see it being nudged off slightly, onto the floor, and then breaking into pieces. [-o<

Imagine my joy when that didn't happen. A real cliff-hanger that was for me! =D>
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Happy, happy, joy, joy; I've nearly mastered the art of lathering the Fat. I watched Mantic's video about an hour ago and immediately put into practise his methodology. The only step I modified was the one calling for the soap to be soaked in water for 2 minutes; instead I applied a little bit of water to the surface of the puck and waited 2 minutes before commencing. And voila, rich luxuriant lather; nearly on a par with the lather I get from my TOBS creams and certainly a heck of a lot better than what I get with my James Bronnley cream. I think with a little more practise I'll be able to generate a lather equal to that which I get with my TOBS creams and possibly better. The other thing I did was not fill my Moss Scuttle with hot water, leaving it a room temperature, as I had heard that a hot scuttle can cause the lather to break down while the brush is resting in it. I've struggled for a couple of years to generate a good lather from the Fat and it turns out I was doing everything wrong: I increased the temperature of the water and increased the amount of water in my brush and I didn't invert the puck, whereas I should have been doing just the opposite. The Fat will, from this day forward, be in the regular rotation. Thanks Mantic/Mark. By the way, now that you've revealed the secrets of the Fat, will you have to kill us? Wendell, is there some sort of secret handshake or password in Fatdom that I now qualify for to identify myself as a true believer? The scales have fallen from my eyes! :D