'47 Super Speed Question

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
Shave4Fun

'47 Super Speed Question

Post by Shave4Fun »

Help needed. The first two pictures below are of a Super Speed on ebay, billed as a 1947. As you can see, it has the non-slotted bar. The third pic is of my razor, which has the same bar/head, but my handle is different at the top due to the straighter shoulder section (about 1/16") next to the gripping section of the handle. I thought my razor was a '47, but the handles are different. Can anyone explain the difference in these? Is it possible that they are both '47's and that mine is early and the other late, since the handle on the ebay razor is like a 48? Of course, someone could have switched the handle on the ebay razor, since it can be removed with a spanner wrench. Thanks - Roger

Roger

I've been a wet shaver for 56 years! 8)
MTgrayling

Re: '47 Super Speed Question

Post by MTgrayling »

There were a few early Super Speeds that used left over Ranger Tech parts and I have one that has the shoulder you cite as well as part of a Ranger Tech head, specifically the blade tray. I have seen others that are normal 1947 Super Speeds that have the shoulder also so I'm not exactly sure what it represents. I know other people that have these early Super Speeds that do not have the shoulder, but do have the RT blade tray. I think it's nothing more than a milling machine difference.

Ranger Tech, RT/SS hybrid, 1947 SS

Here you can see the Ranger Tech uncreased blade tray on the left and a normal 1947 SS creased tray on the right.

RT/SS hybrid, 1947 SS
Chris

"Smell the Bakelite, smell it!"
Shave4Fun

Post by Shave4Fun »

Thanks. Now I have to check my razor against your pics.

Let me add that the razor I have is the best Super Speed I have ever shaved with.

Meanwhile back at the shave den,

I checked and have the creased tray in my razor, but the handle is like the center one. I will classify it as a "Hybrid '47", since the handle cannot be explained other than being made during a transition period.
Last edited by Shave4Fun on Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Roger

I've been a wet shaver for 56 years! 8)
The Zook

Post by The Zook »

Interesting... a factory made Frankenrazor. :shock: :twisted:
Gatorade

Post by Gatorade »

Just remember these razors were made at at time when raw materials were not wasted. I also have seen a few razors that use parts from years they were not supposed to have used. I think they were called transition razors. They are what happened when Gillette was transitioning to changes but didn't want to waste the raw parts.
--Charlie
AACJ wrote:Two words:

Duct Tape
Zach

Post by Zach »

Gatorade wrote:Just remember these razors were made at at time when raw materials were not wasted. I also have seen a few razors that use parts from years they were not supposed to have used. I think they were called transition razors. They are what happened when Gillette was transitioning to changes but didn't want to waste the raw parts.
Charlie, good to see you back!
buster

Re: '47 Super Speed Question

Post by buster »

Shave4Fun wrote: The third pic is of my razor, which has the same bar/head, but my handle is different at the top due to the straighter shoulder section (about 1/16") next to the gripping section of the handle.
My '47 is like this as well with the straight shoulder piece. Interesting history...

-Carrick
Gatorade

Post by Gatorade »

Zach wrote:
Gatorade wrote:Just remember these razors were made at at time when raw materials were not wasted. I also have seen a few razors that use parts from years they were not supposed to have used. I think they were called transition razors. They are what happened when Gillette was transitioning to changes but didn't want to waste the raw parts.
Charlie, good to see you back!
Just popping in when I have a break arround here. Also the topic of transitional Ranger/Super Speed razors has always had a soft spot for me! :wink:
--Charlie

Duct Tape
Trumperman
Bill Extraordinaire

Post by Trumperman »

Nice to see you in here Charlie!

Regards,

Bill
Don't think......shave.
jayb

Post by jayb »

Hey buddy! Good to see you!

GEAUX GATORS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kick some Sooner... tail! :wink:
Justin
Gatorade

Post by Gatorade »

jayb wrote:
Hey buddy! Good to see you!

GEAUX GATORS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kick some Sooner... tail! :wink:
Deffintaly gonna try! Actually I am trying to get a ticket lined up as the game is being played here in Miami. In the next couple days I am going to put some things from my personal collection up for sale. Some collector type items. I need to raise funds to get that ticket!
--Charlie

Duct Tape