Beautiful NEW and Custom handle arrived today!

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
brothers

Beautiful NEW and Custom handle arrived today!

Post by brothers »

I Picked up this old Gillette NEW at the flea market for $3 a couple of months back. There was no plating left on it, it was a butt ugly but fantastic razor. I sent it off to Bob (smf member cooncatbob) at Bob's Razor Works a couple of weeks ago to be replated in nickel. Meanwhile, I asked Bob to make a new handle out of East Indian Rosewood that I could use with it, and a friend gave me a new Merkur head that is also interchangeable. WOW! That's all I can say! I'm speechless. Check it out.

Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

lovely

those razors are going to make shaving even more fun

marc

no matching brush?????????????
UsherLincoln

Post by UsherLincoln »

Wow. These are great. I love the Rosewood. How's the balance with it? The Merkur head is a little heavier, no? Does it make a difference with the wooden handle?
-Lincoln

"Floats like a butterfly, stings like a bee..."
brothers

Post by brothers »

Thanks. I've not had a chance to shave with it, but the handle is lighter than I anticipated. I'll come back and post after I've had a couple of weeks to use the handles and heads in different combos and get a few shaves under my belt.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
divotmax

Post by divotmax »

I have one of Bob's rosewood handles with a replated NEW head, and it's one of the best razors I have. Balance is great, and the feel of the wood handle is exquisite, much like a wooden handle brush. It's as much a display item as it is a functional razor, as it gives a great shave. I've used it with a Merkur head as well as a Tech head, but the NEW is my favorite. IMO the plating on the heads is better than the Merkur and any other head I have seen with the only equal being the EJ heads.
BobS

Life is too short not to use a sharp blade and a good brush.
goose

Post by goose »

Bob does great work. I ordered a heavier handle for my Tech and I love it. I highly recommend anyone interested check out his site. He has a lot of interesting items.

Clint
ssilcox

Post by ssilcox »

The man is a true artist!
“Happiness is nothing more than good health and a bad memory.”
sparkster123

Post by sparkster123 »

WOW. AWSOME. bobs got talent
Adeptus_Minor

Post by Adeptus_Minor »

When I can budget it, I believe Mr. Bob is getting one of my New's to add to his nickel plating pile.
gsgo

Post by gsgo »

The New new plating job looks outstanding, do let us know how it shaves. I have a New that may be taking a trip.
Good shaving,

Gary
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Nice hand-made variation on the Chatsworth handle.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
ThePossum

Post by ThePossum »

I've got a Gillette Old Type with a totally split handle. The plating is not too good and am thinking about contacting Bob about replating it and then making one of his metal handles for it.

I do like your razor an in particular the wooden handle color.
Bryce

My Shave Stuff
The Original Safety Too - An SE Razor Forum
cooncatbob
Vendor

Post by cooncatbob »

jww wrote:Nice hand-made variation on the Chatsworth handle.
Edwin Jagger copies classic designs.
I can copy most existing designs or work with the client to produce something unique.
brothers

Post by brothers »

gsgo wrote:The New new plating job looks outstanding, do let us know how it shaves. I have a New that may be taking a trip.
Following up, the plating process didn't have any effect on the inherent excellent shaving qualities of the NEW. I used it every day for a week and enjoyed it immensely. I'm very happy with it.
Gary

randor

Post by randor »

cooncatbob wrote: Edwin Jagger copies classic designs.
I would'nt say that EJ just copies classic designs. I have seen some of Neil Jaggers hand sketchings, he worked before establishing EJ as a designer for the cutlery industry. He has a good feeling for classic and modern styles. The chatsworth is one of most successful razor designs he invented.
_______
jo
ichabod
Mackem

Post by ichabod »

brothers wrote:Thanks. I've not had a chance to shave with it, but the handle is lighter than I anticipated. I'll come back and post after I've had a couple of weeks to use the handles and heads in different combos and get a few shaves under my belt.
I always have to close my mind's eye momentarily when I see that expression :lol:

Anyway - nice razor, and yes Bob does great work.
Give us the luxuries, and we will forgo the necessities.
Give a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire, he'll be toasty for the rest of his life.
Dominic
Reverend Jim

Post by Reverend Jim »

Just out of curiosity, what is the wood finished with? Will it hold up to a sink of water?
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity, but don't rule out malice.
Seamaster

Post by Seamaster »

ssilcox wrote:The man is a true artist!
Agreed, fantastic workmanship.
cooncatbob
Vendor

Post by cooncatbob »

Reverend Jim wrote:Just out of curiosity, what is the wood finished with? Will it hold up to a sink of water?
I use many coats of wipe on polyurethane.
Tropical hardwoods are very durable and water resistant.
I don't store my razors wood or not in a sink of water.
I have 2 Rosewood brushes that I made 3 years ago that I finished with spray can lacquer, I shake them out and wipe them off after I use them.
They look just as good as they did the day I finished them.
Bottom line is if you take care of your possessions they will last for years and if you treat your stuff like crap it won't last.
brothers

Post by brothers »

ichabod wrote:
brothers wrote:Thanks. I've not had a chance to shave with it, but the handle is lighter than I anticipated. I'll come back and post after I've had a couple of weeks to use the handles and heads in different combos and get a few shaves under my belt.
I always have to close my mind's eye momentarily when I see that expression :lol:

Anyway - nice razor, and yes Bob does great work.
Yikes! Face only, buddy! I'll have to watch my choice of words a little closer. I love the razor handle, by the way.
Gary