MWF after a couple of weeks

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
Reverend Jim

MWF after a couple of weeks

Post by Reverend Jim »

I have to say that I had some high expectations for this soap. I was not disappointed. It provides great moisturization and lubrication and the scent is very nice. I'm still working on getting the water mixture juuuust right. Something like two and a half shakes of the brush before dipping into the soap and then a few drops of water during the whipping. That business you hear about weepers being reduced is true also. All in all, I LIKE it! Westcoast Shaving was very prompt with the delivery and probably have the best price around.
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity, but don't rule out malice.
ChemErik

Post by ChemErik »

Yeah, MWF is great stuff. You can get it for even less from some of the stores in England even after shipping. If you want it in a wood bowl or the ceramic dish, you definitely want to order from across the pond. But, if you want to support a US vendor, West Coast is very well priced.
84.3% of statistics are made up on the spot.
drumana

Post by drumana »

Nice. I think the true benefits of MWF are reaped when it's used on a consistent basis. I used MWF exclusively for about 2 months last year and that was my experience... I concur about weepers healing faster - and I also think that MWF is particularly good at softening a beard - better than most. My blades also lasted longer and I'm assuming it was due to the lanolin, but I don't know...
-Andrew-
druphus

Post by druphus »

I don't imagine that this is something that one who is sensitive to lanoline should try.
Regards,
Andy
ichabod
Mackem

Post by ichabod »

Well, I gave my MWF it's semiannual last chance over the weekend. I loaded half the puck onto my Omega boar brush, swirling for about 45 minutes.

I then spackled my face with a MWF lather the likes of which one could use to frost a cake.

Needless to say, halfway through each pass* my skin had absorbed the lather on the unshaved portion of my face. I resolved to toss it in the trash and free myself from the next experience (scheduled for around August). I haven't done so, of course, so watch this space...

(*I shaved with my Bobgress, so halfway through each pass would represent the passage of perhaps 45 seconds max).

Still, at least Giggs got the winner eh Wendell? :wink:
Give us the luxuries, and we will forgo the necessities.
Give a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire, he'll be toasty for the rest of his life.
Dominic
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

Dominic, sorry it isn't working for you. But don't throw the puck out. Send it to me. Now that I've found the magic path, I am in love with the stuff and will take all I can get. Or, try it again in August and be disappointed. :wink: :)

Regards,
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Dominic,

How could you have known that I would be reading this thread ????? Hmmm, I wonder. Now, lemme see.... :wink:

First things first - I didn't PVR the game but went to YouTube to see the Giggs goal -- and found it had been stripped out from everywhere in typical Barclay's EPL fashion.

Sorry to hear that your semi-annual Fat experience reaped the same results as previous times. You can always PIF it to someone..... :D
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
drumana

Post by drumana »

ichabod wrote:Well, I gave my MWF it's semiannual last chance over the weekend. I loaded half the puck onto my Omega boar brush, swirling for about 45 minutes.
Dominic

There's your problem - 45 minutes isn't nearly enough time to whip up a lather... :wink:
-Andrew-
ChemErik

Post by ChemErik »

I think the widely varying experiences with MWF give it a real mystic to new wet shavers. I don't know of any other soap that works so well for some of us, and is a total dud for others (barring allergy/sensitivity issues).
84.3% of statistics are made up on the spot.
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

Well, it was a dud for me for a long time. I think I bought in to the mythos too much, and expected it to be very unique and difficult to work with on one hand and unbelievably efficacious on the other. In reality, it took a bit of adaptation, but only a bit, and the more I changed my lathering from the way I work other soaps, the worse the lather got. I will say that I add far more water to the lather once it's on my face than with Harris (AOS requires similar treatment). And, much as I expected the clouds to part and angels to descend on me as I shaved, instead I got the same or similar performance as I get with Harris or Cella or Tabac, which is to say very good (and plenty moisturizing). I don't know about blades lasting longer because I don't use DEs much lately, but I do seem to have a smoother second pass with this than with Harris.

Regards,
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
IanM

Post by IanM »

ichabod wrote:Still, at least Giggs got the winner eh Wendell? :wink:
and with his RIGHT foot! What's that all about??

Ian
Those who design "Fool Proof" systems often underestimate the ability of fools.
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

IanM wrote:
ichabod wrote:Still, at least Giggs got the winner eh Wendell? :wink:
and with his RIGHT foot! What's that all about??

Ian
It's all about skill, talent and class, mates.

Why get all caught up about MWF when United remains at the top of the table with a game-in-hand?
Wendell

bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Jim, I'm glad that it's working out for you, but you know, you shouldn't be getting any weepers with any half decent shave soap or cream.
Regards,
Gordon
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

i think its impossible for any one product to produce favorable results for every one. especially in our small and personal shaving community

just look at the blade reviews. so many love feathers and a equal amount never want to see them again

same with merkurs etc etc even swedes (but not as many there)

and with razors same thing, for every person that loves a futur there is someone who doesnt

i understand some have problems getting it to lather and so on and so on
guess what? i dont, if fact i get it to lather exactly as any other soap.

that is just how it is. for those that it works for it is special and if it doesnt,
that why theres so many other brands

last week i tried a goodfella razor, i truely expected magic, but instead i got nothing. thank the lord there are EJ's and merkers not to mention
all the vintage stuff

i believe this is what keeps it interesting

marc

by the way, i just shaved... bbs as always... prep via hot shower and noxema. rooney style 1, size 2 super, mwf and a fresh merkur blade in my trusty EJ loxely pure heaven
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

bernards66 wrote:Jim, I'm glad that it's working out for you, but you know, you shouldn't be getting any weepers with any half decent shave soap or cream.
Regards,
Gordon
Gordon, I agree; since it's a good soap, the weepers are a technique issue. Nonetheless, for those times when one does make an error in technique, I find that MWF seems to help stanch the flow a bit better than most soaps and creams.

Regards,
Regards,
Tim

bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Tim, I wouldn't know, I'll take your word for it. I just thought that Jim's passing reference to weepers should not be passed over in silence. As you said, it is a technique issue and no product is going to fix that. It's like this member we used to have who would post all the time, and try to come across as an expert, and he'd do these posts on blades; "...great blade!....only got two nicks!...". And how seriously am I suppossed to take his review of the blade then?
Regards,
Gordon
Adeptus_Minor

Post by Adeptus_Minor »

ichabod wrote: I then spackled my face with a MWF lather the likes of which one could use to frost a cake.

Needless to say, halfway through each pass* my skin had absorbed the lather on the unshaved portion of my face. I resolved to toss it in the trash and free myself from the next experience (scheduled for around August). I haven't done so, of course, so watch this space...
Sounds like your cheeks are just hungry, Dominic... what have you been feeding them?
A chin / Where barbed wire / Bristles stand / Is bound to be / A no ma'ams land / Burma-Shave
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

I wonder if Ryan Giggs uses MWF?

This guy shaves before a football match and looks like this by half-time . :wink:

Perhaps not.........
Wendell

ichabod
Mackem

Post by ichabod »

Adeptus_Minor wrote:
ichabod wrote: I then spackled my face with a MWF lather the likes of which one could use to frost a cake.

Sounds like your cheeks are just hungry, Dominic... what have you been feeding them?
Well, I suppose I am in the almost desert high plains here, and perhaps my normally perfect peaches and cream complexion might be a bit on the dry side. The dry side of perfection though, of course.

And Tim - the puck has seen better days, but if you want it it's yours.
Dominic
ichabod
Mackem

Post by ichabod »

jww wrote:I wonder if Ryan Giggs uses MWF?

This guy shaves before a football match and looks like this by half-time . :wink:

Perhaps not.........
Is there any truth to the rumour Fergie has never played him during a full moon?
Dominic