Lighting

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
The Truthinator

Lighting

Post by The Truthinator »

Hi everyone,

I have a question for our experts out there regarding the lighting in the bathroom. The mirror cabinet in my bathroom is blocking some light that the lamp above it is emitting and I was going to buy another lamp that you can a) put in the socket and b) nail onto the wall or clip onto the mirror cabinet. Now here is my question: what kind of light source should I be looking for if I want light that looks the most natural, like say, being outside on a sunny day in spring.

Thanks in advance.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Interesting idea though I don't think it would work for me. I get the same results irrespective of lighting and I'm not sure I would like to see a completely natural look at my face in the morning.
Regards,
Squire
Scrapyard Ape

Re: Lighting

Post by Scrapyard Ape »

The Truthinator wrote: Now here is my question: what kind of light source should I be looking for if I want light that looks the most natural, like say, being outside on a sunny day in spring.
Call Richard and have him cut a hole in your ceiling and install a skylight. :wink:

My own bathroom has two fixtures of five small lights each on either side of the mirror.(looks kinda like the setup you would see backstage in a theater where the actors can apply makeup) Works great, but the appearance is rather tacky.(something to think about if your shaving area is open to viewing by others)
~Greg
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Come on Ape, I give you a perfectly good opening and you get all serious instead.
Regards,
Squire
Scrapyard Ape

Post by Scrapyard Ape »

Yeah, I actually wanted to be helpful for once.
~Greg
razorburned

Post by razorburned »

I would have to say CF (compact florescent) bulbs. They put out a whiter or truer light than incandescent bulbs, plus they have the benefits below:

Each bulb lasts 3 to 10 years (depending on specs and maker)
Each bulb puts out more light per watt than incandescent
Bulbs fit in normal screw type fixtures

The first two of those reasons should be read as 'costs less, thus more monies for shave goods'.
Additionally, as they will save you on energy costs, SWMBO will be happier with lower bills.

In my bathroom I was limited to 4 40W bulbs. I installed 4 13W CF (equivalent to 4 60W incandescent) . I could also have done 4 23W (equivalent to 100W each) and still saved energy costs....but who wants to face 400W of light at 2AM when you get up to wee :lol:
Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic
Nitrox
AC/DC

Post by Nitrox »

My master bathroom has a strip light with 6 round bulbs.
I replaced them with the CF bulbs which were very expensive. Two of them have burned out in less than a year :evil: :x and I have replaced them with normal light bulbs which seem to last forever.
I admit that the CFs give the best natural light at a reduced wattage but their initial cost and 'short' lifespans make them unfeasible for me. The money that they save is not worth it and they will not pay for themselves in their lifespan. Stock up on the old incandescent bulbs before they are banned in a few years. The CF bulbs are very hazardous if broken and are a pain to recycle when thrown out.
There are regular incandescent bulbs that have a natural outdoors light if you look for them.
Bruno

"Shhhhhaving cream, be nice and clean
shave every day and you'll always look keen."
razorburned

Post by razorburned »

Nitrox, I'm not sure what bulbs you were using, or from which manufacturer, but the bulb should not have burned out in less than a year unless you leave the light on 24/7. I would have complained to the manufacturer.

I have over 25 CF bulbs in use on my house currently, and the only one that has burned out was a no-name bulb I bought at Walmart for my 10 gallon fish tank. I have one that has been on 24/7 except when the power was out (due to two storms last fall) for over 18 months.

Eight of mine are GE, the rest are Sylvania (minus the two no-name ones in the small fish tank)
Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

My house had the tract lighting already and that's what I would install if I ever move.
Regards,
Squire