Bicycle basket

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
sgtrecon212

Bicycle basket

Post by sgtrecon212 »

My intent this summer is to be more fit, and that means I'm going to ride my bicycle more often. I would like to use it for various errands and such, and with that in mind, can you folks recommend a bicycle basket/carrier that won't look too ridiculous? I want it to fit on the back.
This is the bike.
Last edited by sgtrecon212 on Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
______
Go Cubbies
baldchin

Post by baldchin »

Not sure about baskets but even smallish handle-bar bags tend to be a pain with drop handle bars.

I'd recommend a luggage-rack once that's fitted you can even fit on a lightweight plastic basbox with a lid, using velcro and a couple of bungees. You can get proper panniers or a big saddle-bag fitted on there too and a rack isn't hard to remove, and doesn't weigh much either.

There are bound to be other products available too, but I'm a bit out of touch with cycling these days.
Will

If it's smokin' it's cookin', when it's black it's done.
Zach

Post by Zach »

That seat looks painful, Steve.
It's making me numb just looking at it! :lol:
Seriously, consider a $30 Sunlite Cloud 9 bicycle saddle
On the topic, I have seen 'saddle bags' for bicycles, sorta kinda like the ones I have for my motorcycle, but a lot thinner; they make you look a bit Pee Wee Herman, though. I have one with tools in it for the bicycle that hangs off the back of the seat by 2 hook and loop straps; does that job pretty well. If I needed to go to the store I would likely consider maybe a backpack for me to wear. Maybe it would add to the workout, too.
wenestvedt

Post by wenestvedt »

Why not a rack behind the seat? You can attach or remove boxes/bags/parcels as required, and it doesn't look dorky when it's empty. You could even attach a milk crate with zip ties or bungee cords.
Gone Troppo

Post by Gone Troppo »

Take a look here:

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/cat ... sories.cfm

I've ordered from the company before with no problems. You may also want to take a look at the commuters subforum at bikeforums.net. Last, sheldonbrown.net (Mr. Brown, RIP) has lots of great bike touring info.

I would avoid the backpack solution if at all possible. Beautiful bike BTW. I find it amazing that so few mfgs. today make a steel-frame traditional road bike.
DEF

Post by DEF »

Just put a rear rack on there; there are various options in rear saddlebags that you can choose from. Head to your local bike shop for ideas.

When I lived in Japan, my bike was my main form of transportation; I had a rear rack with a milk crate bungeed on; it looked tacky, but it let me haul my groceries, teaching props, etc.
Doug
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

I ride for fitness/leisure as well - and have a Specialized Sequoia road bike. If you absolutely need to be carrying stuff, than I would suggest a set of paniers. Another option is a good biker's backpack - but you won't get much in that as you would want something with a slim profile and that will remain close to your back. If I were you, I'd be definitely looking at paniers -- they are the best bet, imo, and based on my experience.

Remember that anything extra on a road bike can seriously throw off the balance of the bike - so whatever you get, you'd do well to be sure it's easily taken on and off so you don't have to keep it on the bike all the time.

I am a big Bike Nashbar fan -- have been for more than 15 years. Their prices, selection and quality of product are all excellent.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
jvan
Mr. Vintage Himself

Post by jvan »

I ride my bike all of the time for exercise, recreation and errands. When running errands I just grab a light weight backpack that way I am not lugging around extra weight the rest of the time.
John V
"What one relishes, nourishes"

Benjamin Franklin
Steve-o

Post by Steve-o »

+1 on panniers. I dislike wearing a backpack because it makes it harder for me to stay cool -- even if I _look_ cooler. :lol:

My panniers were parachute nylon with closed-cell foam padding inside. Held an amazing amount of stuff but weren't heavy to carry around otherwise. Now I don't use the bike for more than recreation, so an under-saddle bag does the job.
“Time just seems to get quicker. You look in the mirror in the morning and you think, ‘I’m already shaving again!’” - Terry Jones of Monty Python's Flying Circus
Reverend Jim

Post by Reverend Jim »

I bought the Wald #582 baskets that will hold grocery bags (pair of baskets mounted behind seat) and I love them! I got them from Niagra through Amazon. They collapse flat and are are really great. I highly recommend them.
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity, but don't rule out malice.
ichabod
Mackem

Post by ichabod »

I can't quite tell from the photo - does the bike have rack braze-ons on the seatstays*?

If not, the line of least resistance is a rack like this one which attaches right to the seat post. It could then feasibly be combined with this bag for all your hauling needs (that fit in a grocery bag). It's also more easily removed than a rack with braze on attachments, but probably has a lower weight limit.

Oh, and I'd only recommend the sadlle Zach mentioned to people wishing to ride along feeling like they're wearing a soiled diaper... :P

[* - for those following at home - seatstays are the bits of the frame that go from the rear axle to the top of the frame where the seat post goes, and braze-ons are little threaded pieces welded (brazed, technically) at the bottom of the aforementioned stays near the axle.]
Give us the luxuries, and we will forgo the necessities.
Give a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire, he'll be toasty for the rest of his life.
Dominic
wenestvedt

Post by wenestvedt »

Dominic, that's exactly the kind of thing I was thinking of!
GollyMrScience

Post by GollyMrScience »

This guy has a pretty good bike basket ....or two.
-Tom-

What the heck - lets just keep mixin' stuff together till it blows up or smells REALLY bad!!

Wet Shaving Missionary - "Have you been shaved?"
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Tom, excellent post :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
de gustibus non est disputandum
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

fallingwickets wrote:Tom, excellent post :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
+1 :shock: :lol:

Dominic has, I think, the correct solution here.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?