I got my new camera!

Need help with a process of wetshaving? Wanna see pics or videos? Here is your Mecca!
Gatorade

I got my new camera!

Post by Gatorade »

I got my new camera. Canon Digital Rebel XT.

Also got a big zoom lens as well.

I was reading on an earlier post about the extention tubes for the macro settings. Any tips on what I should get? Is there a standard set or is it a case of any will do?
--Charlie
AACJ wrote:Two words:

Duct Tape
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

Great camera, it is the same one I have. I am unsure about extension tubes, I just bought a macro lens instead. You should be able to get pretty decent results with the stock lens and a tripod and/or external flash. Oh yes, it gets more expensive.
Richard
Lyrt

Post by Lyrt »

If you want to take macro shots, do not use extension tubes on a regular lens, buy the macro lens Richard uses (Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8). If you want extreme close-up shots, add extension rings on a macro lens.
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Charlie

have fun with your new toy. It looks excellent and don't forget......we all love the nudies!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
Lyrt

Post by Lyrt »

I completely forgot Canon had a great, great macro lens, a masterpiece I wish Nikon had an equivalent of. It’s the MP-E 65mm. Drawback: no auto-focus. Advantage: up to x5 magnification, making extension rings useless. Most modern macro lenses provide a 1:1 magnification ratio.
Gatorade

Post by Gatorade »

Thanks for the replies. I haven't had as much play time with it as I thought I would. While looking through the lens that came with the kit I noticed a crack in the internal glass. It never showed up on any of the pics I was taking but I figured the thing was less than a week old and shouldn't have a crack in it that could get worse later. So I waited for my day off and Best Buy swapped the whole kit for a new one. Not just the lens but the whole kit. I should have some test pics coming up soon as I play with the old external flash that I have.
--Charlie
AACJ wrote:Two words:

Duct Tape
SMG

Post by SMG »

Do be careful with the older external flash. Some of these have a high trigger voltage which can damage newer digitals. I would check to see what the protection is rated on your XT to make sure that you do not need a Safe Synch. If you do need a synch, get the Wein Safe Synch, it is the best out there.

Cheers,
Sean

BTW, check out Strobist for more info on using old flashes with new digital cameras.
Confidence: The feeling we have before we truely understand the situation.
guru

Post by guru »

And you thought RAD was bad...