help on schick injectors please

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
TommyDawg

help on schick injectors please

Post by TommyDawg »

Hey all. I know nothing about schick injectors -- I'm a gillette DE guy all the way. So the other day, I get a small box in the mail from my dad who was cleaning out some old stuff from the house. In it was a nice 1960 superspeed, a gold & black schick DE twist to open, and two schick adjustable injectors. So I am excited about the two DE's, and know nothing about the adjustable injectors.

Are any members here users of schick injectors?

I dont know if they use date codes or not, but I did find a unique number on the underside of the blade for each. One had M43, and the other had M15. Do these mean anything? Both razors are in good shape, cleaned up nicely. They have the little circular adjuster dial up near the neck of the razor. I'd appreciate any info from those interested in these razors. Despite the sentimental value, I will not be diving into the injector world. I have enough to keep me busy in DE's.

As a final thought, I know many of you find special significance when you can find a razor that belonged to your dad or grandfather. Now I know what that feels like. My dad recently moved into assisted living, so is downsizing and getting rid of all the family belongings. Its a tough time, but I'll take some comfort in using his old superspeed.

Thanks friends.
Tom D.
scruffy

Post by scruffy »

You can use both the Injectors and DEs. Just pull out the Injector whenever you feel like it. The cartridges are sold in most drug stores (Rite Aid, Walmart, CVS, etc.) A cartridge with 7 razors will be about $6.

Just inject the cartridge into the razor and push the new blade in. The old blade will fall out.

It gives a close, comfortable shave. It is kind of like the Mach III except it does not feel flimsy, and it does not flex. It is very easy to use and does not require a learning curve.

Try it. You will like it.

There is a brief history here:
http://www.safetyrazors.net/schick/schicktech.htm
Ed
Books

Post by Books »

I inherited an injector from my late father and use that one for special occasions. I have several others that make it into regular rotation.

If I've had a bad shave the day before and need something that's mild I grab my injector. They are very forgiving.

Injector blades are available at most drug stores, I would go with the Chinese made Schick Injector blades if you can find them.
Bob
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

The codes you mention indicate the factory where the razor was manufactured, among other such minutiae, if I remember correctly what's been discussed in other threads. Schick adjustables were "M" models, according to the link above, and not to be confused with the coding. (In other words, there are "L" and other injector models that have "M41", etc., coding.)
Ron
AACJ
Bot Monitor, Poll Lover

Post by AACJ »

Although you can get by with the CVS and Walgreen blades, you might be better off going to an "older" pharmacy in your area, a locally owned one. They most likely still carry the original schick blades which are much better than the CVS, etc... ones. Plus the "key" is metal and not plastic and won't break off in your hand.
Art

"This world would be a much better place if people didn't enjoy being victims so much." - Reggs
TommyDawg

Post by TommyDawg »

Good info guys. Heck, maybe I'll give it a try...
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Tommy, The later model Schick Injectors, IMO, may have been the overall best device for shaving oneself ever available. They are easy to use properly, very effective, and the heavier rigid blade is often helpful for those with curly or coarse beards and those prone to razor bumps. With the older, US made, Schick blades nothing shaved me closer; not Slant Heads, Feather AC straights, adjustable DEs, nothing. But at the same time it was just a piece of cake to use and very maneuverable around moustaches, squaring off sideburns, etc. Unfortunately, those superb US Schick blades are no longer available unless you get very lucky ( re: Art's suggestion ) or you find some on eBay. Almost all the currently made injector blades are ultimately from ASR and those are not as good, and as was said, the loading magazines are cheap and often problematic. Until very recently, the Schick blades were being made in Germany, and they weren't much good either. However, some much better Schicks are now being produced in China but they don't seem to be very widely available in the US yet. But they're worth looking for.
Regards,
Gordon
TommyDawg

Post by TommyDawg »

Wow Gordon. Knowlegeable on Schicks also??? You're amazing! I appreciate the advice...
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Tommy, Well, I largely introduced the Schick Injector to the older shave forum ( of course, BobS and a couple of others were also familiar with them ), and eventually Corey Greenberg picked up on it and popularized them somewhat through his shaveblog. When the old UK Wilkinson DE blades disappeared, but before I found the Swedes, my Type N Injector was practically all I used. When the old US Schick blades were still available I tirelessly pitched the Injector as THE ideal newbie razor to learn traditional shaving with. They are really beautifully simple and extremely effective.
Regards,
Gordon
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

Gordon, the Schick injector, notably the N-type, has been a salvation for me, since even the smoothest blades in my SS and Rocket tended to bother me at times. Having found the (milder black-tipped) Krona and pairing it with the sharper blades also seems to do the trick, so now I have an injector and a DE I can turn to. Both, I believe, came from your suggestions (with an assist from Squire on the Krona). It's a wonder I don't see your face in the mirror when I shave. :)
Ron
desertbadger

Post by desertbadger »

bernards66 wrote:Tommy, The later model Schick Injectors, IMO, may have been the overall best device for shaving oneself ever available. They are easy to use properly, very effective, and the heavier rigid blade is often helpful for those with curly or coarse beards and those prone to razor bumps. With the older, US made, Schick blades nothing shaved me closer; not Slant Heads, Feather AC straights, adjustable DEs, nothing. But at the same time it was just a piece of cake to use and very maneuverable around moustaches, squaring off sideburns, etc. Unfortunately, those superb US Schick blades are no longer available unless you get very lucky ( re: Art's suggestion ) or you find some on eBay. Almost all the currently made injector blades are ultimately from ASR and those are not as good, and as was said, the loading magazines are cheap and often problematic. Until very recently, the Schick blades were being made in Germany, and they weren't much good either. However, some much better Schicks are now being produced in China but they don't seem to be very widely available in the US yet. But they're worth looking for.
Regards,
Gordon

+1 to that!....I have several Schick SE Injectors and they perform great, they always have. But like it's been already suggested, get the older blades if you can, especially the Schick Platinum which was probably the best blade in them, period. The ASR blades are available, however until you shave with the Schick Platinums the razor will never reach it's full potential, and you will never know just how great they can shave, IMHO.
Regards,
David
MTgrayling

Post by MTgrayling »

There are quite a few of us Injector users out there. I give mine a spin about once a week and I prefer the Bakelite handled type E's or the plastic handled type G. For some reason I just can't get a close shave from the later model Injectors.

Oh and don't forget the Ted Pella blades which are quite a value even though I have to reload the Pella blades into a Schick or Pal metal dispenser since the Pella one won't line up with my razors.
Chris

"Smell the Bakelite, smell it!"
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Chris, Yeah, those cheapie plastic magazines are a royal PITA. They have never worked consistantly with my Type N and since I didn't think the blades were that good anyway, I was never willing to go through the hassle of reloading them into old Schick magazines. To me, the Pella blades were just another ASR version that I didn't find appreciably better than than their blades under other brands. Those new Chinese made Schicks, however, seem to be a cut above as it were. I don't think they're quite as good as the old US made version, but they're better than anything else currently made. I hope they become more widely available.
Regards,
Gordon
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

There are several injector enthusiasts here, including me. In the archives are quite a few discussions of injector razors. Topics include blades, the stainless steel adjustable Pal and Personna razors, techniques for cutting a Feather injector blade to fit the Schick, and how to tell which older Schicks had genuine Bakelite handles.

The adjustable model is somewhat rare, and fetches pretty high prices. It's also considered to be a good shaver, though I usually stick with the "L" model, which was the previous version.