Feather AC-DX Japanese style.....

Use a straight. You know it makes sense.
bladebaron

Feather AC-DX Japanese style.....

Post by bladebaron »

I admit I am a engineer/design nut. The Feather AC products intrigue me greatly, form and function. I am at present a DE shaver considering coming over to the straight razor side of our ritual. I travel for work and would consider the replaceable blade to be very practical. I have somewhat set my heart on the Feather system.

I struggle to shave well with both hands, I am very right side dominant. I have researched the Japanese style fixed razors and it appears that they are designed primarily for right hand use.
I ask for your wisdom in this area, would you consider the Fixed Feather Dx model the way to shaving enlightenment with my right hand domiance? Or should one attempt the use of a folding model?

thanks in advance.

Regards

Simon
Merkur 34c, 11c, 37c,39c.
Iridium Super.
Simpson CH1/1 Two Band
Rooney 1/1 SST.
Rooney 1/2 SST
Pre De Provence ss.
Pen's Blenheim Bouquet.
L'Occitane Cade SS, ASB,
L'Occitan EDT.
Cedar Flore EDP.
Hugo.
JimR

Post by JimR »

Hi Simon,
I've never used the Feathers, though I'm always tempted when I see them. I can say, the traditional Japanese straight is designed for one sided use, with an asymmetrical grind, and is pretty difficult to use only one handed.

The Feather, however, is designed differently--it's got a symmetrical head. It can be used on both sides, and therefore is probably a bit easier to use one-handed. I'd say, choose whichever one looks coolest to you, and enjoy.

One benefit that I CAN see for using the folder, however, is that the scales act as a blade protector/guard during travel. The Non-folder needs a separate cover, which if you're anything like me, will get lost. If you're NOT anything like me, that's probably not a problem.
bladebaron

Post by bladebaron »

I appreciate your words, I would dearly love a traditional Japanese razor, I believe something crafted with the skill and passion of an Artisan has "spirit". I can only imagine the steadiness required to use such an instrument.

I travel for work a lot! all of my good stuff I carry in Pelikan micro cases, model #1030 they work very well.

I will take your words to heart and choose.

thanks

regards

Simon
Iridium Super.
Simpson CH1/1 Two Band
Rooney 1/1 SST.
Rooney 1/2 SST
Pre De Provence ss.
Pen's Blenheim Bouquet.
L'Occitane Cade SS, ASB,
L'Occitan EDT.
Cedar Flore EDP.
Hugo.
gsgo

Post by gsgo »

Simon,

Make sure you check out Richard's aka Rustyblade's youtube video on "Shaving with Japanese Straight". A classic wet shaving video with great soundtrack.
Good shaving,

Gary
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

I shaved left handed with the straight handled Feather AX for months. It is a great tool but many find the available blades too harsh over time.
Richard
bladebaron

Post by bladebaron »

Gentlemen, I thank you for your replies. The video was very interesting.

Rusty how long did it take before you were comfortable using the fixed straight? Are you still using the feather daily?

Thanks for input

regards

Simon
Iridium Super.
Simpson CH1/1 Two Band
Rooney 1/1 SST.
Rooney 1/2 SST
Pre De Provence ss.
Pen's Blenheim Bouquet.
L'Occitane Cade SS, ASB,
L'Occitan EDT.
Cedar Flore EDP.
Hugo.
DEF

Post by DEF »

Simon,

I have used both the folding and non-folding formats, and in the end I preferred the folder, as for me it was more secure/stable to have the scales projecting between my fingers. With the Japanese style, it just seemed there was less to hold. For some, that might equate to maneuverability, but I was never as confident with it. (I have since sold both razors and gone back to DE.)

Neither Feather AC is left-right biased, so you shouldn't have trouble there, as Jim noted.

Thanks for the tip on the Pelican case; those look very handy.

Good luck!
Doug
bladebaron

Post by bladebaron »

Thanks Def for your input, I am currently using a Merkur HD which I love. As I said earlier I travel a lot, on this trip I have My HD and blade packs safe and secure in a Pelican Micro case #1010 which is perfect. I cut left over Pelican foam to suit the HD shape.
I utilise a whole array of these cases for tools, instruments and all kinds of uses.
I collect Fine Fountain pens and also watches, Pelican cases are perfect for storage and transportation.

Thanks again for your thoughts.

Regards

Simon
Iridium Super.
Simpson CH1/1 Two Band
Rooney 1/1 SST.
Rooney 1/2 SST
Pre De Provence ss.
Pen's Blenheim Bouquet.
L'Occitane Cade SS, ASB,
L'Occitan EDT.
Cedar Flore EDP.
Hugo.
DEF

Post by DEF »

Glad to add my two bits, Simon.

Cross referencing your "Slant vs. Open Comb" thread, if you have a coarse beard as I do, you may find that it takes particular time and effort to dial in good results with the AC. I got tired of climbing the learning curve and went back to DE. You can re-shave your cheeks only so many times with the AC before you have to take a break. And if you're on the road trying to make an 8 a.m. meeting, you may appreciate the relative convenience of a DE.

The Dovo Shavette is a far cry from the Feather AC, but it is a relatively inexpensive way to trial the general mechanics of an open-razor shave. I do still have my Shavette, and I use the Fromm blades with the green adapter sometimes for minor touch-ups. I got mine at www.classicshaving.com. (They also carry Merkur DE razors.)

Regards,
Doug
Basset_Hound

Post by Basset_Hound »

I have Feather RG folding and found that after the first shave, the Pro Super blade is just fine. Not quite the face slicer I'd feared. Doing my ATG on the neck, I straighten out the razor, just like a non-folding. Very comfortable.

I say don't be afraid of the Feather. They hold their values on resale, so just go for it. If you have to resale, you won't be out more than you would be if you spent an evening at the pub.
Ben

Post by Ben »

I used the Japanese-style Feather DX for a couple years exclusively before bringing a safety razor back into the mix. I still use it more often than not and find it the most effective tool overall for me. I use Super Professional blades (white dispenser) and get a remarkably close shave with one pass and some touch-ups. I am able to use it in both hands, though I am right-dominant. When I'm not using the Feather, I reach for Gillette adjustable razors -- a fat boy or slim handle with Feather New Hi-Stainless blades. I'm a Feather whore.
Last edited by Ben on Fri Jun 19, 2009 4:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hell-bent ... hell-bent for Feather!

"As your attorney, I advise you to take a hit out of the little brown flask in my shaving kit."
— Dr. Gonzo, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
bladebaron

Post by bladebaron »

Gentlemen, after way too much thought I pulled the trigger. I have a deal in process for a folding, teak scaled DX that I look forward to using.

Thank you for your input. I will post a report upon usage.

Regards

Simon
Iridium Super.
Simpson CH1/1 Two Band
Rooney 1/1 SST.
Rooney 1/2 SST
Pre De Provence ss.
Pen's Blenheim Bouquet.
L'Occitane Cade SS, ASB,
L'Occitan EDT.
Cedar Flore EDP.
Hugo.
Ben

Post by Ben »

Nice choice. Enjoy it!
Hell-bent ... hell-bent for Feather!

"As your attorney, I advise you to take a hit out of the little brown flask in my shaving kit."
— Dr. Gonzo, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
Joe Lerch

Post by Joe Lerch »

I'm sorry I got in here late.

I have both and use both. I have slight preference for the Japanese style, because it offers so many more hand positions and angles. It does require a little more delicacy and care, however.

Don't worry about using one hand. With a folding blade you'll have to learn to use the left hand at least a little to reach everywhere on your face. The important thing is what's comfortable and allows you to learn the skills the easiest.

With the folding blade you'll have the advantage of being able to carry your skills over directly to a regular straight.
Joe
GollyMrScience

Post by GollyMrScience »

I'm with Joe on this one. When I first started straight shaving I tried to shave one side of my face with my right hand and the other with my left.
As my personal style developed I find that I only use my left for a relatively small portion of my face with my right doing most of the work.
I made my best progress to my comfort zone by just shaving and letting the hands fall where they may. After a few awkward yoga like poses trying to get the "wrong" hand in the right place I said the heck with it and let my body tell ME what was right.
I now have a mutual non aggression pact with my left hand that essentially I don't try bossing it around and it doesn't try shaving off my nose.
It may not be perfect form but I get great shaves and who's to dictate what I do in the privacy of my shave den.
-Tom-

What the heck - lets just keep mixin' stuff together till it blows up or smells REALLY bad!!

Wet Shaving Missionary - "Have you been shaved?"